It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bug Out Bag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I have 10 items in my BOB so far:

1) First-Aid kit
2) Bandana
3) Water tablets
4) Firestarter
5) Food
6) Water
7) Multi-tool
8) Contruction gloves
9) Flashlight radio
10) Survival manual

What is missing?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a sleeping bag, a poncho, duck tape, some parachord and a big knife.

EDIT: and ziploc bags, wet wipes, condoms, a wool hat, gloves and 4 pairs of thick socks.

[edit on 23/7/09 by pieman]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wolfwood290

Ruger 10-22, very common caliber of .22LR and cheap to purchase. Has always been a reliable rifle and you can get folding stocks for them to make them even more portable. I have one that is the carbine version, synthetic black and blued barrel. Haven't gotten a sling for it yet, but that is something that can be very useful for not carrying it in your bag and on your shoulder, loaded of course, for quick access with a reliable scope since the iron sights aren't always put on correctly.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Bring a group picture of certain 'illuminaries' to remind you who got you in this mess in the first place.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
By the looks of your first post I would say you are neglecting to pack the most important thing:
Knowledge.
Take practice and research with you and you can survive without having to pack the kitchen sink.

If you have been researching and practicing survival skills then you would know what you are comfortable having along with you. You will know what you must lug on your back and what you can instead make or find easily along the way. You would also know that the your question cannot be answered without more particulars about your specific environment and situation.

Get out there and try it. Only then will you know what you are missing and what you could have left behind. I head out into the bush with next to nothing regularly. I try new things whenever I'm out there and only because of this I know that when it becomes crunch time I won't be wasting time, effort, and stress on the basics. They should be teaching this in school.

Beyond that, there are already several threads on ATS about this very topic. Use the search feature and you will be treated to a truckload of information.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Ok, I got a U2U suggesting that my post sounded a little harsh and that I negated the purpose of the OP. Fine. Here is my advice on a couple of items. It draws from my experience and is of course debatable. One thing I have leaned is that the usefulness of particular survival equipment will differ from person to person. I don’t know why but maybe it comes down to how different people mentally process technical solutions.

A multi-tool is fine but there is no substitute for a proper knife. The knife is THE number one item to have in your BOB. Above anything else a knife will make life possible. It will provide fire, food, shelter, etc, etc, etc. Multi-tool blades are small awkward and typically flimsy. Consider your multi-tool a backup to your most important item. A proper knife doesn’t mean expensive, elaborate or large. One of my favorite survival knives is the $10 Swiss Mora. It is a time proven survival design made out of good metal that will hold an edge. It won’t break and it’s small.

Water is the heaviest item that you can carry. Unless you live in a desert, if you are going to carry some keep it under 200ml and consider carrying a moderately priced filter. There are some the size of a screw driver that will filter hundreds of liters for under $20. Expensive ones the size of a small coffee cup will filter millions of liters of the worst water there is. Do your research and make sure the filter you buy will cover the contaminants in your area. Small bags (about 150ml) of sealed emergency water are available which won’t add container weight to your pack. They look like small versions of the bags hospitals use for IV drips.

I like to carry an all stainless steel camping coffee cup in my survival kit. Among other things I can boil water in it and us it for a cooking pot. It can be packed with other survival gear inside so it really doesn’t take up any more room.

Practice and learn the techniques in your survival book so that you can leave it at home. I instead carry a book that details the local edible and medicinal plants. In fact I carry two. One specifically illustrates mushrooms, the other plants and trees. If you can’t find one relative to your environment then do your research and write your own guide. I can’t stress how important native plants are going to be when there is nothing else to eat.

What kind of fire starter do you have? A modern striker type fire stick is the only 100% reliable fire starter that will even work while soaked. They are inexpensive, small and will last for thousands of starts.

Survival is my hobby, I could go on all day but there are a few pointers for you. In my opinion the items listed above are absolutely essential. You will have the ability to acquire fire, shelter, water and food. They will give you a means to make tools, weapons, clothing and containers.

There is an endless list of additional items (some specifically relative to your situation and environment) that will make life easier and your load heavier. Only practice will tell you what to take, what to leave and how heavy a pack you are willing to travel with.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
From Illinois?
Bug spray.

Paracord. (or other rope)

Depending on the size of your Bob, at least a basic fishing kit. Could be as simple as hooks, line, and split shot. All three items have many uses.

Hooks = snares, stitches, etc.
Line = sutures, snares, and a thousand other things.
Split shot = lead.

No fire starting method is 100% guaranteed, as in, " Dang, I lost my flint!"

An add on to the rule of three's is three ways to start fire. There is no debate to this, unless the debate is for four ways.

If you are ot sure what the rule of threes is, look it up.
A search on ATS should do fine.

Mike.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by wolfwood290
I have 10 items in my BOB so far:

What is missing?

If you think you can make it on that, then that is good enough.

I went a bit overboard and packed mine up a bit heavier,
planning for possible long term survival. Some items listed
are at my RZ point or hidden well nearby.

Mine is more of a INCH bag, aka I'm Not Coming Home bag.

01) stainless steel camp cooking gear *** done ***

02) multi-tool pocket knife , stainless steel so it wont rust *** done ***

03) camo mosquito/ insect netting suit *** done ***

04) complete protein seeds like amaranth *** done *** - in the mail, on the way
en.wikipedia.org...

05) sleeping bag *** done ***

06) weapons: 30-06 with scope *** done ***
.22 LR 10/22 Ruger, .45 ACP works well, bought a laser boresight for 30-06 and boresighted. ( .45 will be in holster .22 LR in hands )
.30-06 is at RZ site along with most of the ammo.

07) hand crank radio and flashlight *** done ***

08) lensatic compass & directions *** done ***

09) fishing line, hooks, and bobbers *** done ***

10) backpack *** done ***

11) shake LED flashlight *** done ***

12) water proof insulated boots *** done ***

13) gerber folding hand saw *** done ***

14) 12volt dc power inverter - 400 watt - bought from friend *** done ***
may upgrade this to higher wattage

15) waterproof container - full of matches & 3 fire steel striker rod
*** done ***
indian wood bow method works well too ...

16) strong binoculars 16x or better *** done ***
bought bushnells

17) food - cheap , long shelf life - *** done ***
some stored long term shelf life rice or other cached near rally point, multiple locations. ( at a few cache sites near RZ site )

18) dessicant for ammo cans - *** done *** at RZ site

19) pocket microscope - *** done *** at RZ site

20) 28 ga. galv. steel snare wire - *** done ***

21) Texsport® Folding Pick/Shovel/saw - bass pro *** done ***

22) snake/poison kit - bass pro *** done ***

23) knife sharpeners *** done ***

24) israeli gas mask with airtight drinking ability *** done ***
$20 at maine military supply ( not the best mask there is )

25) stainless steel bayonet(no rust knife) *** done ***

26) US army M7 bayonet (ferrous can use as striker) *** done ***

27) full CDV -777 geiger counter set *** done *** at RZ site

28) several 1 gallon ziplock bags - storage & mini evap. water collection devices - *** done ***

29) wiki books, survival info, wikipedia backup on DVD-r - read via PC near elk city *** done *** at RZ site and SD card copies carried.

30) aluminum foil for: - solar oven - solatubes - weak EMP shielding if done right *** done ***

31) non Genetic modified seed packs, getseeds.net pk plus
8,000 carrot seeds & amaranth *** done ***

32) battery hydrometer - for 12 volt systems we plan to setup
*** done ***

33) Combined Hybrid Custom Survival Guide - printed -
dbl ziplock bagged *** done***

34) speedy all, easy all - sewing tools for leather *** done***

35) wind belt - 12 vdc and volt regulator *** done*** at RZ site

36) natural remedy - anti fungal *** done***

37) p-38/p-51 or real can opener *** done***

38) battery recharger - triple a's for pocket microscope - D's for geiger and ionization meter *** done*** at RZ site

39) 200 yards of 550 para cord

40) 100 ft of nylon rope

41) removed

42) Sextant - and instructions *** done***

43) Spherical Trigonometry instructions *** done ***

44) Trash bags, heavy duty thick mil, work as water proofing or poncho, seal in heat *** done***

45) water purification USP sublimated iodine 1 oz bottles (2) *** done ***
also for ppl allergic to shellfish 4 oz of bleach in small carry tube, and eyedropper *** done***
10 drops of bleach per gallon per online site for water purification.
SODIS water purification plans *** done***

46) common edible/medicinal plant list for this region *** done***

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Clean dry socks. Always have clean dry socks.

Originally posted by pieman
condoms,

why? Wouldn't TEOTWAWKI put a damper on those thoughts?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Depends what your BOB bag is for... when i worked in London I had 2 bob's,

The one at work was very simple. S10 respirator with drinking bottle and NBC kit, Torch, knife and one small ration pack. This was in case of a terrorist hit on London the involved NBC agents. It had to be small enough to be easily carried without raising suspicion and have enough kit to get me home where I have more extensive supply’s.

Then there is my BOB at home... this contains more and is (obviously) bigger and heavier.

I also have supply’s for either a controlled evacuation or a lock down.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

a damper on those thoughts? darwinism tells me, no probably the exact opposite. still, condoms wouldnt figure in to the picture would they?

sorry i've nothing useful to add, thanks to the posters for all the good input. i have a plan but didnt realize it involved a lot of civilized infrastrucure to work!

cheers

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by iNTERPLANETARyR.O.M.E.O.
reply to post by FlyersFan

a damper on those thoughts? darwinism tells me, no probably the exact opposite. still, condoms wouldnt figure in to the picture would they?

sorry i've nothing useful to add, thanks to the posters for all the good input. i have a plan but didnt realize it involved a lot of civilized infrastrucure to work!

cheers

In the past some military members have put condoms over their
rifle barrels to keep the water out in foul weather conditions.

I forgot to list my gun cleaning kits too, oh well, its at the RZ.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Thank you for all the helpful remarks. : )

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I have several items in my kit that everyone else seems to miss:

Recharcheable walkie-talkie radios: 2 on hand, 20 mile (flat terrain) range with NOAA weatherscan.

Laser pointers: 4 on hand for tight beam signalling.

Camp shower for heating water: 1 on hand.

Steripen UV water purifier: 1 on hand.

strap ties, 6", 8", and 12": various quantities

1/4" mesh, 24" x 50': 1 roll

electrolyte replacement tabs (dissolve in water): two rolls on hand.

5-hour energy bottles: 8 on hand.

Salt: 1 lb box or bag

Spices: pepper, chili, tarragon, garlic, etc.

Toilet paper: 2 rolls

vacuum packed change of clothes, one hot weather, one cold.

36" blowgun with darts.

chemical heat/cold bags.

plastic knot-tieing visual guide.

When building a bob, you need to take several factors into account:

1. Short term bugout or long term?

A short term bob just needs to get you to safety, and so includes no gardening gear, seeds, etc. Heavy on water, light on gear. A long term or never-coming-home bob looks vastly different.

2. On foot or equipment mobile?

On foot, your weight limit is about 80 lbs. Add for the type of equipment you'll be mobile with: bicycle, motorcycle, car, van, truck, etc. Remember that you can count on being mobile only so long as you have fuel, after which you'll have to abandon/hide any excess weight.

3. Are you alone?

If you are alone, then your bag (backpack) will have a load limit of about 60-80 lbs. Each adult in your group should be able to carry similar loads, unless in poor physical shape.

4. Where are you going and why?

If you're heading to a support base, you need to know what to expect to find there and bring fill-in supplies. If you are going to a remote spot to "live off the land", well, you'll probably die if you don't bring the wire mesh: any garden you plant will be happily harvested by rabbits, gophers, squirrels, possums, and a multitude of bugs long before anything grows out enough for you to eat. You should expect to harvest no more than about 5-10% of your daily nutritional needs from the land until you get crops in and harvested, unless you are already skilled in finding the local wildfoods in the area you're bugging out to.

5. When is it?

Your bob should change with the seasons: more food in the wintertime, for example.

You should always include a survival/medical guide, preferably illustrated. NATO used to have a pretty good manual including everything from delivering babies to treating radiation burns. You personally may know how to set a bone, but what happens if it's your leg that's busted? You need something for the uneducated to read and follow while you're passing out.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I posted my B.O.B. list over in another thread where it really didn't belong but someone there was asking - anyhow, this is the proper thread.

ExmisLtech posted a good list if you dont have to carry it all on your back.

As others have mentioned what goes in your bag depends on HOW LONG you plan on being out, WHERE you and WHAT SEASON you be out.

Yes, it is possible to survive with ONLY a knife but each item you have further increases your odds of doing so and doing it with a degree of comfort.

ALL my gear with food and water weigh less than 65 lbs. i live in the middle atlantic states and this would be good for me in any season.

Medium A.L.I.C.E. pack

1-Wool blanket converted to Poncho 2- water Filter, PUR hiker model
3- Extra eyeglasses
4- Extra prescrition medications
5- Potable aqua tabs
6-Leatherman tool - many models to choose from. Buy a quality tool!
Essential features are blade, can opener, pliers, wire cutters and file
7- Insect repellant
8- Hand sanitizer
9- 9 mm pistol or .45 cal. semiautomatic
10- Pistol shotshells for small game
11- Non hybrid vegetable seeds - choose easiest to grow for your area -
12- Mousetraps (2) - yes, for mice! They will chew through packs and clothing, eat you out of house and home then pee in everything they don't eat! They also carry deadly Hantavirus.
13- Fishing hooks and line
14- Sewing kit
15- First Aid kit - SEE BELOW
16- Plastic canteen (2)
17- Canteen cup (stainless steel) (2)
18- Edible Wild Plants book (peterson's field guide)-available used at Amazon.com
19- Emergency space blanket (2)
20 -Trioxane fuel tabs
21- Gerber sportsman's saw
22- Mora knife and sheath
23- Bic lighter,
Lansky field knife sharpener
Waterproof matches
24- Magnesiun fire starter
25- Maglite flashlights with spare batteries
26- Nylon rain poncho NO PVC or rubberized
27- Bandana
28- Camouflague Headnet
29- Spare socks
30- Cordage 50' each type- parachute cord and spiderwire™
31- Compass

Small Bottle multivitamins
Maps
6 various size heavy duty ziplock bags
2 waterproof stuff sacks
3 black plastic heavy duty garbage bags

ALSO:
Food - Dried, several pounds of each - jerky, nuts, rice, dried fruit, granola, tea (MRE's are too bulky)
Small bottle of salad vinegar - Wild greens are a substantial portion of a foraged diet and a little vinegar goes a long way towards making them more palatable.
Monocular or binoculars
Pistol ammuntion - 100 rounds
Ruger 10/22 rifle with 4x scope - Due to physical limitations, weight is the primary consideration for me. . 22 ammo is very light, so I can easily carry 500 rounds.
Subsonic ammunition is extremely quiet and I pack 100 rounds of these also.

Clothing
Hat, boonie folding type
Wool watch cap
Gloves
1 set medium weight polypropylene thermal underwear
Spare Clothing - pants, 2 shirts, 2 pr underwear, 2 pr socks, fleece pullover

Personal Care Items
Spare pair of eyeglasses
Toothbrush
toothpaste
Soap
Comb or brush
Nail Scissors or clippers
Small mirror

First Aid Kit
Extra prescription medications
Povidine-Iodine wipes
Alcohol Wipes
Antiseptic Cream
Acetaminophin
Aspirin
Goody's powders
Bandages
BandAids
Pain Medications - Percocet, Darvocet, Vicodin (whatever you can get )
Sinus relief pills
Eyedrops
Dental repair Kit (for making temporary fillings)
Tweezers
Moleskins for foot blisters
Small tube of vaseline

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by wolfwood290

A more direct reply to your question of what is missing would be this -

In addition to your list I would get the following items first:

A quality fixed blade knife - I recommend the Mora as well. I carry 2

Rainponcho/shelter half

Surplus canteen w/cover and a stainless steel canteen cup (not aluminum)

Water filter - PUR hiker model is $80 - mine has lasted 12 years so far!

Firearm (even a fakey might get you out of a bad situation) but I'd still prefer the real. WHICH firearm deserves an entire thread of its own.

Aluminized emergency space blankets. (2)

A cool discovery I made was that used electric guitar strings make great snares. Don't let your guitar player buddies throw them away!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Where i'm from its really, really hot in summer and thanks to CFC's UV radiation is quite bad so......

I'd be packing some sort of

sun cream,

zinc,

lip balm,

sun glasses (polarised) cuts glare and helps with fishing

a brim hat.

You can get sun cream and lip balm combined with all sorts of other stuff these days like aloe vera.

Other stuff I'd be taking that may not have been covered yet:

toilet paper (not for wiping my ass),

cotton wool,

pain killers - Oxycontin preferably,

paracetamol and aspirin,

anti histamine,

skin disinfectant,

a tooth brush,

dex amphetamines or some sort of uppers,

anti-biotics,

bic lighter and matches (cant have to many ways to start a fire),

flu/cough/cold medication that contains pseudoephedrine,

aluminum foil,

an epipen containing adrenaline

soap

anti-fungal cream

personal insect repellent

charcoal

detoxification medication

anti-worm/parasite medication

Just thought of those things of the top of my head I just thought that the medication side of things was not covered very well. You may be thinking uppers? adrenaline? oxycontin? Well lets say you get hurt real bad adrenaline can be used to give you that kick start if your on the verge of death. Oxycontin can numb the pain from a gun shot or a broken arm and uppers can give you the super human stamina to keep going and stay vigilant. Of course use of those three would be advised expressly for emergency situations.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by blahdiblah]

top topics

join