It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm getting upset at this new atheist movement.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I am not a religious nut. I am an agnostic towards God. I don't know if God exists. That is my opinion of it. I'll leave the issue to debate. I don't let religion take control of my actions. I am getting pretty mad at this atheist movement here... these atheists trying to tell other people to make you your own God. I mean, it's one thing to say that there is no God, in your opinion, but I'm getting really mad at these people who I see trying to basically say your religion is totally wrong, or, religion is terrible altogether, or, that it's backwards to believe in a God. What I don't like is how they say to make you your own God, that, is, you are the creator of the Universe. I understand this at a metaphorical universe- but- I think this belief can also lead to superstitions and beliefs of grandeur- take a look at all the people talking about NLP, as, an example of what I'm talking about. I'm tired of this movement because while at the same time these people are rejecting God- these people are flat out saying that they're God- and this is the thing that I object to. As I've said I am an agnostic... I have my own opinions about religion, and about faith, I am undecided as to whether faith can be completely detrimental or harmful for people's beings. I know that in ancient societies and in contemporary ones religion has shown to be harmful to people's ability to think critically- about- oneself, and, about, the world. However, I'm just getting somewhat tired of this atheist movement and I think that it's about time for us agnostics to start bringing some sanity to this whole argument about God and religion. Agnostics, what do you say? I'm just a bit tired of this. Is anyone else?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
We create our own reality, so in that sense the people you are speaking about- are right-

And I'm not sure if you've noticed but more people have died on our planet in the name of god than any other way- so I can fully understand where Atheists are coming from.

So you're tired with the Atheist movement, imagine how they feel with religion movement- eg. they get told they're going to burn in hell for say, believing in Evolution, for having sex before marriage, for being gay etc etc etc etc

Their hatred for people that don't believe in god is as plain as the nose on my face- a lot of them just can't wait for Atheists to get what's coming to them- they live for the day that everyone that doesnt believe in god perishes in a firey brimstoney death- so excuse the Atheists for losing patience- they can only take so much, they live in a world that in a lot of ways, is still ruled by religion and like you, are tired of the bs

[edit on 23-7-2009 by lifecitizen]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Their hatred for people that don't believe in god is as plain as the nose on my face- a lot of them just can't wait for Atheists to get what's coming to them- they live for the day that everyone that doesnt believe in god perishes in a firey brimstoney death- so excuse the Atheists for losing patience- they can only take so much, they live in a world that in a lot of ways, is still ruled by religion and like you, are tired of

No, that's not what God taught. hateful Christians are hypocrites. We are told to love our enemies and pray for their conversion not love their destruction, so that's not even biblical.

Number 2. People will die in the name of anything, like I said, get rid of religion and communism would take over, nukes will destroy our planet and that's where we are heaeded global communism.

number 3. teaching to not murder is still a command. And all christians should live by that of course.

Now OP. The reason they do that is because they fear God being true. Create your own relaity is because their lifestyle, They want a belief that's easy to fit their lifestyle. Some people want to masturbate 5 times a day and don't want anything impeeding on it.

Some people want sex out of marriage, and this is a lesser of evils,but still God would rather us save ourself for real love, not just ten seconds of orgasm.

and so it's the deepness they cannot understand of the commands, so many of them not all, rebel because of their lifestyles.

and so they use a self defense mechanism to push him further away, which means attack others for no reason.

Now they should just let believers believe without what you say OP, and christians should leave athiest to themselves and their rebellion.

and pray for them beyond measure.

" Cannot wait for them to get what's coming to them "

Not a real christian. A real christian wants any athiest nomatter how much of an ass they are to be saved.

But anyways I agree OP. when antichrist comes many athiest will still be harderened, they will attribute his powers to technology and magic and will go right along with him.

peace.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by JesusisTruth]

[edit on 23-7-2009 by JesusisTruth]

[edit on 24-7-2009 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I consider myself a religious person but for some reason this doesn't bother me. Perhaps because I've never believed in "wearing religion on your sleeve" or trying to convert or enquire too deeply about the beliefs of others. Some traditions are more "polemic" and aimed at witnessing/conversion. Mine is not.

So...it doesn't particularly bother me if people are athiest, even though I am not, because as far as I am concerned that is their private business and none of mine. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

What I don't like is how they say to make you your own God, that, is, you are the creator of the Universe.

I don't like this concept too even if it's my own 'universe' even if I don't believe in a God(not that I really don't believe in God)

Quite simply because I am at Nature's mercy... Is there a God that dies at the hands of nature? No, God is in control of Nature and Universe, until you could do so, you can never be God. Even if I could, I still won't refer myself as such..

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

That's not what bothers me. What bothers me- I don't think people seem to understand what bothers me. What bothers me- is how these Atheists project their beliefs on others. I used to hate evangelical religious people... but I'm starting to see that evangelical atheists are just as bad. Yeah. That's how I see it.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by silent thunder

That's not what bothers me. What bothers me- I don't think people seem to understand what bothers me. What bothers me- is how these Atheists project their beliefs on others. I used to hate evangelical religious people... but I'm starting to see that evangelical atheists are just as bad. Yeah. That's how I see it.

Yes, that makes sense...I can see this too. I agree, it's a bit...disturbing.

I find myself having to change the actual language and words and modes of thought I use when I talk to hardcore athiests. I feel like I'm monitoring myself and my thoughts so I don't "give offence," which is how I feel when I am around a member of the "polical correctness" crowd: a truly loathsome group of people. So, yeah...its not a good thing.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

well in my experience both sides are equally in the wrong when it comes to preaching about god (religious people) and preaching there is no god (atheists and whatever), and im sick of both sides to be honest, this is a war of words that no-one is gonna win, trust me on that one. Similer arguments throughout history have created wars. I say live and let live. If someone wants to preach about god then so be it just dont do it in my earhole every minute of everyday, likewise to those that dont believe their is one.

im all for a debate on both sides but when it falls into stupidity and childlike responses theres just no point.

FAITH is a powerful thing, as i touched upon in my understanding faith thread. It can make people stupid sometimes. And thst both religious and non religious people

[edit on 023131p://16072 by ronishia]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
FINALLY!!!

A Christian who doesn't explode when confronted by an alternate or a rude atheist. Yeah there are some really darn rude atheists out there but my goddess can't you just rise above them? Besides I have seen equally bad Christians on this forum and outside in the real world. We get it...you believe in God and he is the only truth...well not to others so can it and move on. Atheists...yes we know Christians are all foolish folks...can it and move on. Why can't anyone just get over it like silent thunder there? ST says...I am religious...I believe what I believe...I am not your judge so it isn't my job to attack you

well done Silent thunder...hell of a statement

-Kyo

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
We are no more rude than the born agains who want to convert/enslave everyone.
We see religion as the big problem in the world.
We are tired of living in a backwards world that kow-tows to religion.

The superstition filled dark ages (thanks to religion) held us back for 1500 years.
They could keep religion out of politics and practice their religion "in the closet" and things might be better.
Those churches should pay property tax like everyone else.
Why exactly do they not? They get the benefit of the public services. Why should they not pay their fair share in taxes?
I'm sick of subsidizing them.

Jesus admonished people against praying in public.
Jesus also said "know ye not that ye ARE Gods?"

Most religious folks who are preaching at everyone do not even know their own bible.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Christians are hypocrites.

No joke- remember this Jesus

www.belowtopsecret.com...

You even proved it for all here to see

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Exactly. Me personally, I'm caught in the middle. Just as I don't appreciate the evangelists telling me I'm going to hell - for sure - I don't appreciate the smug condescension of some atheists that mock my willingness to accept that there may be 'something else' out there.

There seems to me to be growing culture of elitism in the atheist community - at least those that I regularly converse with. It used to be that they were of the opinion that , "I just can't/don't believe in a god." That was fine with me. But now, it's taken on a more aggressive, arrogant tone: "You think that there may be some 'spirit' out there controlling all this? You are such an ____."

They have become the mirror image of those they so dearly despise. Their mantra has become a Truth and any who dare defy it are only worthy of belittlement and persecution. Strange how the oppressed always assume the same methodologies of those that oppressed them.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by passenger

As opposed to the already present elitist culture in Christianity who don't want to allow others to think in any other way?

It's present in every group around. I don't deny that some atheists are just ignorant and rude as hell but trust me there are plenty of Christians who refuse to see or even ponder any other possibilities out there.

-Kyo

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Not all christians are hypocrites, and if they are they aren't christian but false apostles until they convert.

Trust me there are some great saintly christians out there who truly live like christ.

peace.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
We are no more rude than the born agains who want to convert/enslave everyone.
We see religion as the big problem in the world.
We are tired of living in a backwards world that kow-tows to religion.

The superstition filled dark ages (thanks to religion) held us back for 1500 years.
They could keep religion out of politics and practice their religion "in the closet" and things might be better ""

1. They do it out of love, true christian wants you to convert out of love, and don't go around attacking people like they are idiots like many athiest.

2. We see communism as the big probl;em in the world. True religion is this, and thats to love your God and neighbor as yourself. Everything elese is false and not living how God taught

3. We are tired of being attacked by non faithful people who attack us for no reason.

4. I agree and disagree on the last part. God did say.

" leave them to theirselves " don't force it on them.

But again religion, true religion has held nothing back but created 1,000s of saints, and created numerous homeless and help the hungry shelters.

you only see the bad.

Like i said, true religion is the ONLY reason this world still exist today, if not communism and technology would have taken over ages ago and we would of had a nuclear war centuries ago because they have no moral code.

Do everything for the better of the state but don't respect human life.

Now the modernist got their wish and look where we are, on the verge of WW3. Communism will take over this planet within 10 years IMO and we will be walking drones with implanted devices in our skin.

and so this is nowehre near the good age. This is the last age that will destroy one thrid of the planet according to prophets.

Nuclear war.

and so that argument goes both ways.

peace.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
See I can handle you wanting to bring us to your side but I see two problems...well three actually but one of them is personal

1. I never said all christians are bad and I do not see only bad. See above at the lovely comment I left for one of them

2. If you choose to try and convert me I will actually listen but if I tell you I am done and not interested then leave me be. That does not happen all the time

3. You have created shelters and such but so has government. They've created many good things such as shelters that were unmotivated by religion. Are your shelters better than ours? Why does a free meal to the poor have to be accompanied by religion?

actually here is a 4th...

4. The wars started in God's name and the burning of heretics at the beginning of Christianity and Catholicism...are you totally ok with these things and with your people's past? Let's say though we forget the past and move the present. What about all the Christians protesting gay rights or bombing abortion clinics and the evils they do today?

I am alot more intelligent than you might think. I know for a fact these Christians are not real but I am just saying from my own personal experience that many of them I have met turn an eye away from me the second I am revealed to not be one of you. and I am actually ok with that. If they can't be my friend because I am a Pagan well then I have two things to say...they were never my friend and they are not real Christians

Regardless...if you don't think there are rude Christians out there then I think you are lost. Hell yes there are rude atheists but then perhaps the atheists can start using your own excuse against you.

"Don't worry...those guys aren't real atheists...just fakers"

-Kyo

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
No Kyo that reply was to Ohzone not you, and look I am real despressed right now, my uncle has cancer, just found out today.

Hey I never said you were stupid, you are probably smart.

" are you ok with that "

No. That's not what God taught. I don't believe in killing heretics in this age unles God knew they were trying to overtake and plot against the church first. He reads hearts.

But no I don't agree with it. Christ said he came to save not destroy. many saints lived without hurting bugs let alone real people.

So the souls who did wrong in our church will get their just reward after death.

and seriously, in person, I am a silent one and don't push anything on any soul. I worked with a lady once who kept feeding me bible passages and it really pushed me away.

and I was christian back then! But not from God just people who follow him that constantly use bible passages as if they are a saint.

Now you can tell I rarely qoute scripture here, I try using common sense and other ways of speaking.

that's how I am in real life.

" are your shelters better then theirs "

No. I was just pointing out that many good has been done with religion, true religion and the wars have been few compared to how many years have existed.

The only reason we have the religious tone because we believe God alone is good and supplies grace to our souls and we give him all credit.

anyways I'm done in this thread, Iv'e said my peace. continue guys.

peace.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

4. The wars started in God's name and the burning of heretics at the beginning of Christianity and Catholicism...are you totally ok with these things and with your people's past? Let's say though we forget the past and move the present. What about all the Christians protesting gay rights or bombing abortion clinics and the evils they do today? I am alot more intelligent than you might think. I know for a fact these Christians are not real

This is a very realistic and pragmatic way of thinking and perfectly normal and natural for an agnostic way of thinking.
However I would say actions speak louder than any words, any organization religious or otherwise that kills people or advocates it will never have Gods favor. As you say they are not real Christians.
But really historically most of the clergy of Christendom had/has about as much favor from God, as the Jewish Scribes, Sadducees and Pharisees had from Jesus in the 1st century. And you know what that means.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Unlike the idiotic,
Christians, which I happen to name the
loudmouth bus stop preachers. They
yell from the bible and tell me that I'm going to
hell because I don't see the world the way they do. man, I wish the San Antonio City council could do something about those dumb people like
or
them. LOL

Dude, I understand what you are saying, but thank god, that there not yelling at the bus stop telling me that there's no god to begin with and disturbing my peace when reading a book/magazine at the bus stop.

My advice to you is simply not make them important and take a que from this guy

I trust that everything will be ok, and if you do the same, things will be ok, no matter the hardship.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

When it comes to religion and people's belief systems, why should it bother you what anyone thinks. At the end of the day nobody really knows the truth about what God is, let alone if God even exists. We are all in the same boat, searching for the truth of why we are all here. If there's one religion that everyone should subscribe too, it's tolerance of other people's opinions and beliefs. If you don't aprove of someone's behaviour, simply agree to disagree and turn the other cheek.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join