It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Board Troll ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
What exactly is a "board troll".

I think I know but would like a description just to be certain I never turn into one, heaven forbid.

Once identified what should one do about a board troll

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
A troll is somebody who just hangs around to cause trouble. These people will argue with other members and say stupid things in posts. They generally want to spoil the fun for others.

If you ever meet one, whap him squarely on the forehead with your shoe, they can be quite nasty little buggers.

Seriously, though. u2u a mod or complain if you are harassed here, we can help.

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by Zzub]

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
And here: www.wordiq.com... The more popular the Online Discussion Board, the more likely Trolls are to appear. We're popular. We get Trolls.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   

A troll is somebody who just hangs around to cause trouble. These people will argue with other members and say stupid things in posts. They generally want to spoil the fun for others.

you have described me. take it back or i shall flog you mercilessly with a country ham.

[/board troll act]

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
and for god's sake pay toll to the troll...

but avoid the noid!!

[/more board troll bufoonery]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I lerned something then

I thought board trolls specifically were those who put up links directing others to for profit sites and posted indiscriminately...

But as a general classification they also would fit the definition of TROLLS and be equally deserving of a good shoe whacking or Ham smacking.

At the very least they would be reportable

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlordWe're popular. We get Trolls.

Bring on the Troll Blacklist! Get them out in the open for all to recognise

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
To troll, or not to troll, that truely is the question.

Bored Troll?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
"Once identified what should one do about a board troll."

Eye of newt, wing of bat.

If that fails complain button.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Best guess in dealing with board trolls is to bore them.
Then the bored board troll might move to another board to troll.

How do you know when a board troll is bored? Bored trolls are easy to find. You won't hear a peep out of them. If they are talking, then you know they are not bored.

If you are one of the gaboodles of bored board trolls reading this, say something.

See? No more bored boad trolls trolling this board cause I've bored 'em,

G

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Another important point which is a major hallmark of the troll:

They usually go to message boards/groups/communities in which the general subject matter is something they disagree with heartily, and they want to tell you how stupid THEY think you and your group basically are for believing the way you do.

Say you had a strictly repugnants message board, you might have democratic trolls arriving to stir up trouble, or vice versa. etc etc.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I have a question, Kay em:

I suppose that 'repugnants' means republicans, since you contrasted them with democrats (perhaps needs a capital letter?)

Why do republicans get their name tweaked, but not the dems?

How about Democraps, or something.

O.K. it was Lame I know. Just trying to be fair.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Would I be considered a board troll? Honest answer please. I mean...I am not here to cause trouble, but to voice my opinion. I do know that I anger people sometimes though.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
A perfect example of a troll is racist people who hang around certain message boards to with blacks,jews,muslims,etc. Once the troll finds a target, you can expect the board to fall into electronic marshal law.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

How about Democraps, or something.

Actually, I prefer Demoncrats, myself. I've got bugger all use for any politician to be honest. Feck knows what KayEm calls them. We can thank Colonel for 'Repugnants' though.

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by Pisky]

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
Would I be considered a board troll? Honest answer please. I mean...I am not here to cause trouble, but to voice my opinion. I do know that I anger people sometimes though.

No way, in my opinion. You don't provide a random line with no meaning behind it. You provide your opinion, and reinforce it with your own thoughts. There's nothing wrong with that.

Trolls do not do this. They just cause trouble. They find a post and target the author's ability to get mad by throwing out random insults or discouragments and not backing it up with anything.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Would presenting a third dimension to a polarizing debate or expressing a neutral opinion be considered Trolling? (or pretending a mock *grey* reply for giggles?)

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

I don't know, Dr. lol

I can't take the credit for the catchphrase "Repugnant" though. Colonel (one of the mods here) coined the phrase and it just stuck and I think it's cool.

But that's probably because I'm not one

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crysstaafur
Would presenting a third dimension to a polarizing debate or expressing a neutral opinion be considered Trolling? (or pretending a mock *grey* reply for giggles?)

Was this too vague or too open to interpretation?
I really am curious.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I often like to play the devils advocate or argue both sides just to see where the conversation ends up.

Skeptic O left a great link that actually goes on in depth about Board Trolls. I was suprised at how completly defined the topic was/is.

After reading the definition I have curbbed some of my natural inclinations. I would never spam this or any other board and I would not try to advertise a commercial site but I do like to prank some and set up easily disputed points just to hear how others think.

I have seen some very negative - childish pointless jabs at members by other members. Maybe those people that bait and call names and vie for one-upmanships all the time should be called out too.

Maybe Ogres ?
Or Hobgoblins?

So Cryss present third party ideas and intergect third demensions stay straight or not to straight and stray often rom neutral. It will give me courage to do the same. As long as it is in good taste and not combative I think it is what draws many to this type discussion.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join