It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

" Urban Wasteland Management": The future of a collapsing America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Now we all know Detroit is a "special case" but I doubt it will be that "special" for long. Its a harbinger of things to come for deeply troubled cities and suburbs everywhere.

Executive summary: Everything has been turned over to so called "Private Management Companies" comapines that run 100-block areas as defacto governments with distrubingly wide legal authorites.

Perhaps even more unsettlingly, "These Private Management Companies sell themselves as residual property management firms. Most of these companies, as it turns out, are in fact off-shore subsidiaries of Private Military Contractors (PMCs). "

Here’s a glimpse of a Turn Key Approach to Urban Wasteland Management ™. Last week I had a chance to talk to a friend who just got back from Detroit and boy did he get an eyeful of America’s Future. After listening to him describe Detroit , it’s obvious that it has all fallen apart. First of all, there’s very little civil authority or regular civil government remaining and in operation. Almost everything has been turned over to these so-called Private Management Companies. And this is how it’s being done. They block out areas, in which 80% or more of the houses have been foreclosed on, which happens to be almost the entire city and county. They have selectively begun to bulldoze the properties which have been foreclosed on. The rest have been boarded up. Then they have turned over management of these 100 block area to private companies which have become defacto governments. They have the literal authority of “governments” and they’re paid a flat fee from the city, county or state to “manage,” as they say, a square block of this urban wasteland.

These Private Management Companies sell themselves as residual property management firms. Most of these companies, as it turns out, are in fact off-shore subsidiaries of Private Military Contractors (PMCs). They provide a catchall service. In other words, they regulate how much electrical power and natural gas flows through these areas. They also act as police force, and they act as management for local civil government.

However this Urban Wasteland Management has been pretty efficient. They want to protect what remaining wealthy areas that still exist, like Bloomfield Hills. These companies come in and effectively build large barbed wire fences, around these mostly abandoned square block areas. Some people are still living in them, by the way, even though most of them are boarded up because they’re no longer bothering to serve process through the entire foreclosure procedure. Oftentimes once the house has been taken back and is ultimately owned by the city or county or some government, they let the people stay there until it’s abandoned and then taken over by squatters. Then they’re given a 72 hour notice to leave, by this private management company – before they come in and bulldoze the house. If you’re not out, that’s it. The bulldozers run. They can bulldoze the place with you in it – with legal impunity.

Source:
almartinraw.com...

[edit on 7/23/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'm sure Stephenson feels vindicated. Now's probably the best time to get in to the business of offering up Enforcer services to various Burbclaves.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Sounds like it's right out of the Robocop movie.

Private security companies controlling the population.

Private companies bulldozing houses when they're vacant.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Sounds like it's right out of the Robocop movie.

Private security companies controlling the population.

Private companies bulldozing houses when they're vacant.

Robocop popped right into my head as i was reading it also.

My first thought as i read through the bulldozing stuff was, "well, wonder when they'll be building up that huge city they talked about in the movie... followed by ED209"..

Sigh

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

your source link doesn't seem to match the excerpt and the site seems to be aimed at science fiction.

are we talking fiction or reality here?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

your source link doesn't seem to match the excerpt and the site seems to be aimed at science fiction.

are we talking fiction or reality here?

I'm sorry, I mistakenly attached the wrong link (although it is tangentially related).

The real link should be:
almartinraw.com...

I have also re-edited the original post with the true link. Thanks for the catch.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
so this is real, wow.

where have all the people that were in all those houses gone? what are they planning to do with all the cleared land?

not being american, i had no idea, this is creepy and incredibly interesting.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

so this is real, wow.

where have all the people that were in all those houses gone? what are they planning to do with all the cleared land?

For the people who used to live there... well... frankly... they're SOL.

Spread out into the rest of the world, basically.

What will they do with the land? I could think of all kinds of both horrid and good things they might be planning, but that's the trouble.. they've not really said, have they?

The whole thing is a joke, and everyone knwos it. It's sick.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtraeme
I'm sure Stephenson feels vindicated. Now's probably the best time to get in to the business of offering up Enforcer services to various Burbclaves.

...and people think Snow Crash was fiction. More and more, we're going to see it happening. Jails are already private, for-profit enterprises. Cops are already worse than common thugs. People will be living in storage units soon, if they aren't already.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
When the jobs all dry up, the people leave.

As the population shrinks, the business that support the population dry up. The grocery stores, auto dealers, hardware stores, restaurants close.

As those businesses close, more people are out of work and end up leaving.

It's a downward spiral for a city.

The people that are left behind are usually the poor. They don't have the resources to leave.

So the urban landscape decays.

Now, people are advocating that the city buy up the abandoned buildings and tear them down. They want to shrink the geographic area where services will be provided. Smaller areas for police, fire, sewer, water etc means reduced operation costs for the cities.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I had posted a video of unsold homes being demolished. (can't remember the topic/post)

Similarly in the video called "Who Killed the Electric Car" there is a clip of a reporter doing an interview with a junkyard owner. They discuss why the car company is having brand new unsold cars being ground to dust. The conclusion was that by removing the brand new cars from the market, this guarantees stability in the vehicle market in regards to prices; keeping them artificially high to turn more profit.

I can see this as being the reason for the home demolitions.

This reduces the number of homes on the market, thus keeping occupied home prices at a certain level.

This is keeping the housing market itself from tanking completely.

If the homes were not demolished, entire neighborhoods would see declines in prices and the quality of life in them would diminish. Over time, basically creating new slums or ghettos.

Don't be too shocked, if you've just discovered one of the layers of how TPTB work. In a nutshell it's basically proof that markets are controlled. Free markets? What free markets?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

I had posted a video of unsold homes being demolished. (can't remember the topic/post)

Similarly in the video called "Who Killed the Electric Car" there is a clip of a reporter doing an interview with a junkyard owner. They discuss why the car company is having brand new unsold cars being ground to dust. The conclusion was that by removing the brand new cars from the market, this guarantees stability in the vehicle market in regards to prices; keeping them artificially high to turn more profit.

I can see this as being the reason for the home demolitions.

This reduces the number of homes on the market, thus keeping occupied home prices at a certain level.

This is keeping the housing market itself from tanking completely.

If the homes were not demolished, entire neighborhoods would see declines in prices and the quality of life in them would diminish. Over time, basically creating new slums or ghettos.

Don't be too shocked, if you've just discovered one of the layers of how TPTB work. In a nutshell it's basically proof that markets are controlled. Free markets? What free markets?
I agree.The supply will be limited to control the prices.And what a waste considering the numbers of homeless people.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

It's a plan taken from Youngstown Ohio, which started the process of destroying sections of the city because of the extensive budgets needed to maintain the empty sectors with police, water, electricity, fire etc..

Detroit 2 years ago sent an envoy there, where Youngstown showed the effects and how beneficial it has been "down sizing" so to speak.

A few months after Obama was elected he told the governors of this great plan he thought of that involved tearing down sections of cities while leaving infrastructure in place. To much applause. Even though cities in Ohio, Indian, Michigan and PA were already into this process.

And since then every once in a while a new article comes out describing this phenomenon.

In Youngstown I believe they used eminent domain to force the last residing residents off the land, so entire sections could be torn down with out two or three houses remaining.. gave them a home on the other side of town.

EDIT:::: It was Youngstown not Akron, my bad.

www.ohio.com...

Here is an interesting story about Atlanta doing this process for an entirely different reason. Tear down the poor neighborhoods and disperse the poor into middle income neighborhoods. *sigh* if only they paid attention to Cincinnati during the past decade.. not exactly the best economic idea..

www.thesuburbanite.com...

Akron tore down an entire village. Green Ohio hardly exists anymore.

www.metropolismag.com...\

Youngstown, fastest shrinking city in America .. I advise looking at the Land Use Maps provided on the site, and look at how much was wiped away.. and notice, this started in 2002.

It's estimated 50% of youngstown has or will be destroyed. Youngstown's population is roughly 80,000 peoples.

crosscut.com...

This article discusses cities world wide that are shrinking. What is odd is that in the US Rural populations are shrinking.. and so are Cities.. and yet the population continues to expand. Makes no sense to me. I wonder what the 2010 Census will say in regards to Human Migration, and which states gained the most people in the last decade.

[edit on 7/23/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I found this passage from the original link particularly disturbing:

So here’s the scene. Imagine a 100-square blocks in a city on a hot summer night. Only one out of every twenty streetlamps is working, and even that is low-wattage. These lamps are broken and swinging back and forth in the wind. There’s rusted out steel drums lying here and there. Pyres of burning scrapwood. In the background there are shadowy figures darting in and out of buildings, trying to salvage anything or strip the remaining buildings of anything that’s worth anything.

Since no electricity is being provided to these residents anymore, what this private management cum security company does is they bring in old water trucks. Then these water trucks are placed at certain locations during certain times. The people then totter down with their old plastic buckets and bottles to get their water.

My friend said that what Detroit looks like now, particularly at night, is like a scene that you would see five or ten years after a Third World War. Everything is bulldozed, but it’s not all collected because there’s not much left after everyone has picked it apart. They just bulldoze it, chop it up and leave it in little piles. So imagine these little smoldering piles of rubble with these low wattage street lamps that are broken swinging back and forth. And don’t forget the rusted out water trucks bringing in water for the “survivors,” what else can you call them? They also bring in food from various charitable organizations and distribute free food like Spam and week old bread, etc.

[edit on 7/23/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina

so this is real, wow.

For the people who used to live there... well... frankly... they're SOL.

Spread out into the rest of the world, basically.

What will they do with the land? I could think of all kinds of both horrid and good things they might be planning, but that's the trouble.. they've not really said, have they?

The whole thing is a joke, and everyone knwos it. It's sick.

Parts of Detroit have actually gone back to wilderness. They say they are trees that have split the blacktop in the middle of some roads. Whole new groves that might eventually become forests are springing up.

Nature is very efficient. That whole area was once forest. Maybe it will be again.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound

...and people think Snow Crash was fiction. More and more, we're going to see it happening. Jails are already private, for-profit enterprises. Cops are already worse than common thugs. People will be living in storage units soon, if they aren't already.

I'm in California. Every day I look at all these unused storage units and I keep thinking to myself, "How much longer till these poor bastards that are day laboring get the bright idea to rent a storage unit to put a `roof` over their head?"

Nothing surprises me at this point.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I'm in California. Every day I look at all these unused storage units and I keep thinking to myself, "How much longer till these poor bastards that are day laboring get the bright idea to rent a storage unit to put a `roof` over their head?"

Nothing surprises me at this point.

On another message board I once frequented, people were talking about living in storage units back in the post-dotcom recession (circa 2002) and one poster claimed to already be doing it. I think its been done for quite some time.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Good chance that when this spreads to many cities they will move
all those ppl to the result of HR 645.

You know you got to love you some FEMA camp living.

All the states with massive unemployment will go down this road
once the momentum of what is coming starts to trigger other
minor and major local disasters.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
When the jobs all dry up, the people leave.

As the population shrinks, the business that support the population dry up. The grocery stores, auto dealers, hardware stores, restaurants close.

As those businesses close, more people are out of work and end up leaving.

It's a downward spiral for a city.

It is called a Deflationary Spiral.

Check out Agenda 21.

If you are not getting ready for the end of America, you are going
to be in for a VERY rude surprise.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

All you list is part of Agenda 21, just check out the video I listed
in my prior post and I hope you preparing.

The ppl at Survival Blog already see most of the writing on the Wall.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join