It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If aliens arrive will it cause an end to religion?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000

I don't think so at least not completely. Faith is a powerful thing.

IMO if God created the universe and us, then in that line of thinking he also created the aliens as well no?

[edit on 23-7-2009 by QBSneak000]

My point, exactly.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37
reply to post by prevenge

"I think the way you put it is very short sighted ..so short sighted as that of a mentally handicapped individual...
and you should get to the back of the line when it comes to the discussion.
nothing personal it's just how i see it.. "

Wow nothing personal? You just called this person retarded because they dont agree with you...now who's really being short sided? See you at the back of the line.

i didn't call them retarded. i said their line of thought is comparable to that of someone who is mentally handicapped.

and if prescribed beliefs put a handicap as in a limit on on what's allowable for them to consider as reality.. then that's a mental handicap.
and it's not personally bashing the person. i don't know them.
I'm giving my opinion which is fact based- on my explanation above... my opinion on their line of thought pertaining to the walls of restricted perception that the children's version of christianity evokes within the general masses.

i'm careful to make distinctions between calling people names.. and giving my opinion about their mentality.

-

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
This is an interesting thred.... I dont think it will cause an end to religion though. Even if they come and say " We are your god" I still would like to know who they consider their god/gods to be and why. What would most likly happen is not the end to all religion but maybe an adoption of their's.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by illece

I do belong to a religion,but after reading some of the threads i wondered if or when the aliens do arrive will it be an end to religion.

I personally do not think that religion could continue in that case,how could the various religions equate the two.

we were created ,sinned ,thus causing Jesus to come and redeem us,if there are other beings out there what was the point of Jesus Christs death.?

I think that when we learn the truth about the alien presence, that all religions will be tolerated better. I'm hoping so! I am not a religious person, but I think that each religion does have something to offer. I am a spiritual person, and I do believe in God....and aliens, too!

I'm sure that an extreme number of people will leave their current religions, claiming that they must be false because the Bible doesn't mention aliens. Well, the Bible doesn't mention a lot of things. Maybe the men who wrote the Bible back in the day weren't supposed to have information about aliens. If there was a written record of aliens around that time (and I know, we could argue that there was with the Egyptians), it might have changed a lot of things.

Here's a question though, why couldn't Jesus have incarnated to other planets and done similar things?

Maybe some other alien civilizations didn't need redemption.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out Jesus for myself, rather than what I've been taught for many years. One of His main messages was, "Above all else, love one another". Maybe we should all focus on messages like that, rather than the redemption part. If we focused on love, maybe we wouldn't have so many sins.

Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by celticdragon23
Watch knowing and it will give you an answer.

Really how so? I saw this and honestly wasnt impressed at all. I would like to know why you think "Knowing" will give you an answer.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by illece

Interesting thread!

It seems that there are too many variables to offer a definitive opinion. I don't see how the existence of aliens would affect Budhists for example.

Where would these aliens be from? Another planet? Another dimension? Another realm of existence that we can't conceive of?

What if they are what we would consider to be demons? If they offered reasonable proof of being what they claim (offering technological advances, let's say) BUT fit other descriptions of demons, would you abandon your current faith?

Eric

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints they beleive there are many planets with inhabitates. So Jesus maybe was an Human/Alien hybrid and was taken up into some kind of spacecraft and visited other worlds. Maybe there are many versions of Christianty around the universe but until til Eldar Race comes back Christianty will continue to become watered down and made mans puppet.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Realistically though, you can hypothisize anything with the phrase..."if". But there is as much evidence of God as there are of Aliens, yet people have been programmed by television and movies to accept the belief in aliens rather than the belief in God.

Most people do not have the discernment to understand the difference between an organized "religion" and life in Jesus Christ, the divine sharing of life of "Grace" that comes from being born again by the Spirit of the living God. To those, the arrival of "aliens" will have no effect on their faith. However, to those whose "religion" is just a mere mental assent to a set of stated values and dogmas, and does not posses the life of Jesus Christ, they may find that their beliefs are on shakey ground, since people like this are usually dependant upon their priest or pastor to spoon feed to them the truth.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

Your book appears to based on the assumption that aliens from other planets exist. When these aliens make their presence known, you have your proof.

An alternative explanation (and the Biblical one, too) is they are demons. The seraphim (singular is seraph) means 'burning ones'. The so-called UFO's regardless of size, are most likely these. There will also be, in the not too distant future, a release from a pit of particularly nasty demons - read about it in Revelation 9:1-11.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Aliens arriving

if they did land, what proof could they offer to say that this was what they were? and not, from a christian perspective, demonic?

This is a problem in today's world people accept without evidence. hence this forum!

as a Christian i am told many will be decieved with lying wonders.

David

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

hi,
Buddhists,i don't think it would bother them ..I have a nephew who is a Buddhist ,we have talked about many things ,cannot see aliens bothering him one iota regarding his religion!

I Have read UFO related books that speculate that the UFO and its occupants are in fact demonic.But surely if they are from another dimension ,time ,or planet,they could prove it ......As you said technological advances for all and sundry ,not just the elite.

If they did in fact have what we think of as demonic traits (cruel tormenting enjoying others pain,would i abandon my currant faith ...no ...I Would be praying for a higher deity to step in and help. On the other hand if they were more angelic like beings i would be off like a shot...we are taught that there are no planets now ore at any time inhabited ...it was to earth that Jesus came and died as proof positive that man cannot live without gods guidance, our world is the testing ground!!!

I know double standards.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I hardly think it would end religion. I fail to see how aliens landing would effect eastern religion or scientology for that matter.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
It all depends on the person, the religion , the alien and what they are here for. Some people will grab there Bible go in the back room and pray just before blowing there brains out. Some people will grab all the guns they can carry and going hiding for fear. Some will try to find a way to make a profit off of it. And some will say "I told you so" and go on as if nothing has happened. ALL religions will be changed in one way or another. Some will be destroyed. Some will be changed and there will even be some new ones spring up.

Below is a copy and paste from another web site that gives so thing to thank about.

"Just about anything that impinges on our lives can affect our world view. An example from World War II illustrates this. During the war in the Pacific the Allied fighting navies established bases on many small islands in Melanesia. The people on these islands had no experience with so many white people, nor with the incredible quantities of goods that were flown in to supply those bases. At the end of the war, the largesse disappeared as rapidly as it had appeared. The island people believed that the cargoes had been brought by the planes, which they deified, and that the white men were just another type of cargo. In their world view, the planes are gods who will return, bringing riches, ending the need for work, and removing white people. The people in these cargo cults, as they are called, hoping for a return of the planes and their cargoes (and that the planes would remove the remaining white people), build runways and wooden replicas of the planes as enticement for the return of their gods. Thus, they construct their world view, and physical manifestations reflecting that view."

Do a Google serach for "cargo cults of Melanesia"

[edit on 8/2/2009 by fixer1967]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I think that if (or when) these so called "aliens" were to land then they would actually enhance the best of all religions.

They may turn out to be living proof that we cannot die and that human evolution has a goal and that goal is attainable.

These so called "aliens" may in fact be our space "brothers", and they may end up explaining much of our heritage. living proof of who and what we are.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Religion is only observed by the most intellectual feeble - so really who cares ? Those that follow religion now will simply believe whatever they are told next - less than sheep.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

good grief that was interesting about the cargo cults,never heard about that before,but you can see how that could happen......sounds very similar to what Zechariah sitchin believed happened with the annunaki and their slaves continuing to today.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by illece

if aliens arrive, i dont think it will cause the end to religion. in the first place they're the ones who who got us into this "fix".
the very reason why we have to raise our heads in heads in space in prayers and search for enlightenments and all sorts spiritual quest is because of them being "up there".if they wont mind "us" rising up to their "level" then that would be quite a relief but if "them" wont see it that way , then we're back to the bottom of the food chain.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Belief in God or a higher power's not necessarily a bad thing IMO. Religion on the other hand, is like the cold virus or nits. When one kid gets rid of it...another one gets it.

I can't think of a single reason that would cause an end to religion. It's resilient! It'd be a surprise to me if aliens didn't have a religion in there somewhere.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join