It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If aliens arrive will it cause an end to religion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I do belong to a religion,but after reading some of the threads i wondered if or when the aliens do arrive will it be an end to religion.

I personally do not think that religion could continue in that case,how could the various religions equate the two.

we were created ,sinned ,thus causing Jesus to come and redeem us,if there are other beings out there what was the point of Jesus Christs death.?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
My opinion is that NO, religion would either be reinforced; as in they were the origins of current religions, or changed so the the aliens would become the new religion based on either technology, or advanced abilities. Or worse, because of religion; using it to sway and/or control/enslave human population.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by illece

I don't think so at least not completely. Faith is a powerful thing.

IMO if God created the universe and us, then in that line of thinking he also created the aliens as well no?

[edit on 23-7-2009 by QBSneak000]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Yeah, I struggle with religion being something to control the masses. I mean, I believe that there is a higher power that created us, but then, what stops religion from being a man made ideal that is meant to keep us in check? Obviously it is not 100% effective, but it does keep most of the population in check.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Watch knowing and it will give you an answer.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The discovery of the Americas proved quite a problem for Christian theology and literal faith in the bible.

The belief at the time was that, of course, every human on earth was the descendant of Noah and his family after the flood, and they lived pretty much exclusively on Eurasia and Africa.

When it was discovered that the Americas were not, in fact, Asia, this posed quite a problem. Here there were people, but being on a totally different continent with no seafaring technology, how in the world could htye be descendants of Noah?

All sorts of arguments were brought out. The Indians were everything from demons in the flesh to make good Christians question their faith, to the wandering lost tribes of Israel, to innocents who were spared the flood.

In the end, most christians came up with a pretty easy solution; They stopped worrying about it.

I assume much the same would happen with Aliens. There would be a period of hurried theological debate and investigation, with the end result being that everyone, unable to reach an agreement, simply settles for "meh"

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I’ve researched this very issue for nearly 3 years and am in the process of writing a book for publication in the next. I’m afraid that you are touching a subject that should be of great concern to Christianity specifically. There will be a time when these "aliens" will be revealed as genuine and their message will be that of "they were the gods of ancient times, helping us evolve and grow." There sadly will be many who will lose their faith because of this deception.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

The finding of the Americas isn't a problem for Christian theology at all, most scholars understand that ancient man had the ability to navigate the ocean, this was an inherant knowedge from the days of Noah. Building big boats wasn't a new technology relegated to only those in the last 1000 years. So indeed the idea that there was people here when the Columbus sailed the ocean blue isnt shocking at all.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Depends on their knowledge of god, and if they obtained knowledge when they got here or did they allready know will be the ???????

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I don't think that if Aliens did show up it would be the end of Religion on this planet. After all a omnipotent being probably could make more than one species of intelligent beings in the whole of the universe right?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I think religion has always been at odds with both science and with the forces of gullibility. Sometimes people just will not swallow a line of BS that the church/state would like them to. Then there is the whole science and discovery and what not flying in the face of religion. Raining on its parade with new facts that are hard to ignore. Aliens might cost religion some of the soft core of the outer church but a lot of people just look at church as community and you have to belong to belong to the community. Aliens will not change that one way or the other unless they offer community hangouts and services that compete with the church.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by wayouttheredude]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

In agreement here. Aliens are / were your god (s)... I think that would be a greater impact then having proof of aliens themselves.

However, I don't think it would be a deception.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

I think this was already covered by erik von daniken

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It would be an epic cosmic smackdown.

It would be the end of most dogmas of abrahamic religions, all that chosen people stuff, special cause Jesus saved us all, we are the pinnacle of God's creation, God and all he does and all that happens in all dimensions revolves around Earth or more specificaly around Vatican and a few cities in the Middle East, Mecca is the center of universe and all that.

Aliens landing on Earth would mean that God had other projects, some obviously more important and more succesful then us.
Or there is no God as described in the Bible, it is all a lie invented by people who had no clue what God really is.

It would destroy the power of organized religion and would probably move religion towards spiritual, more personal path. Which is a lot better, IMO.

So aliens, bring it on!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by celticdragon23

This topic was covered by him, but his conclusion was a bit closed minded and I have come to quite a different conclusion with the same evidence but with out the predetermined "alien/gods" bias.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by illece

I do belong to a religion,but after reading some of the threads i wondered if or when the aliens do arrive will it be an end to religion.

I personally do not think that religion could continue in that case,how could the various religions equate the two.

we were created ,sinned ,thus causing Jesus to come and redeem us,if there are other beings out there what was the point of Jesus Christs death.?

So you think that there will be ZERO technological implementation in order for HEaven to be created? and ZERO technological involvement in order to biologically recreate people that have died? and ZERO bio-technological aspects of how the city of New Jerusalem will be built?

I think the GOOD thing about this concept you present is that there is massive window of opportunity to LEARN MORE about religiouns. .thei mysteries and god.

I think the way you put it is very short sighted ..so short sighted as that of a mentally handicapped individual...
and you should get to the back of the line when it comes to the discussion.
nothing personal it's just how i see it..

since you read a book and believed everything in it on face value without challenging it, without looking deeper in it for practical knowledge and mysteries... and DENIED YOURSELF the use of your questioning mind that god gave you... then you've no right to participate in the discussion.. even though you started it here.

open your freaking mind.. stop being so closed minded.
there is MORE than what you were taught in church.
the fairy-tale perception is just the SURFACE of the religion... christ is a symbolic aggregate of philosophy, phisiological transcendence.. and emotional maturity.

it's not about a dude that died way back so that you could live.

it's about the sacrifices we all make .. the leaving of the human form.. and the metamorphosis into a higher body and higher mentality.

if i were you, i'd also look into how "beings from above" play DIRECTLY into the pre-=modified and pre-censored versions of the bible.. the torah.. and they play special roles in the Bhagavad Gita.. Egyptian mythology..

it's time to start really THINKING about what these SYMBOLIC MYTHS we've been GIVEN.. actually MEAN ..

because many people already have agreed on what they actually mean.. and use these mythical psychological-essences as GUIDES as to how to direct mankind... which tasks to perform.. which goals to accomplish.

the more short-sighted you FORCE yourself to be...
the more emotionally-shocked you will be when the truth begins to rise around you and the more unprepared you'll be when the rest of the world understands these revelations and leaves you behind.

I don't think ONE alien race can come and say this or that to "make" anything different in your mind.
You've got to study it ALL .. and challenge what other PEOPLE TOLD YOU was true.
in order to understand and ingest it on a PERSONAL level.. and see the beauty therein..

there is deeper knowledge and more to learn.
you're short-changing yourself by remaining in the "toddler" bed-time-story version you were taught as a kid and remained believing into your adult life.

don't believe that the first "aliens" you see are actually "aliens"...
don't fall for it.

think for yourself.
a mind that ceases to question is clinically DEAD.
believe in nothing.
because everything is ALWAYS CHANGING.

-

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Have you ever read "Childhood's End" by Arthur C Clarke?

It's about aliens that come to earth and when they finally decide to reveal themselves, they look like Devils. It's a great book if you get the chance. Can only imagine how that would go down today...

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

"I think the way you put it is very short sighted ..so short sighted as that of a mentally handicapped individual...
and you should get to the back of the line when it comes to the discussion.
nothing personal it's just how i see it.. "

Wow nothing personal? You just called this person retarded because they dont agree with you...now who's really being short sided? See you at the back of the line.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Im an athiest.

But an experience i went through recently has led me to believe that any "aliens" we experience will have a greater knowledge of the thing we call God.

They would share what they believed, although it goes further than belief in some cases, and leave it up to us to explore.

Until then i remain an athiest.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I have never understood this assumption. I have heard it many times. Just because there are other beings out there who may or may not be responsible for us being here does not rule out there being an ultimate God. When I say an ultimate God, I mean the creative being/force of the universe itself.

How religion wants to react to such an event is entirely up to them. They can either look at the situation critically, or fall into shambles.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by SpeakerofTruth]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join