It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why save humanity? What is left that is so important?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I was sitting outside my work smokin a cig. I was on break. I watched a couple come out of the building next to us and they were laughing and Joking. Then the girl pointed at their car and they took off running. The were racing and laughing the entire way to the car.

The simplest of things. A race from one location to another, yet it provoked such joy in these two humans. Pure and simple, un-adulterated happiness. Something that I have not seen in a very long time.

So I ask myself a question. Negating all quantum mechanics and philosophical debates on whether or not our world is real. Why, if happiness is so scarce and far in between, are so many trying to save humans? I personally can only recall one instance in my adult OR teenage life where I felt happy. REAL happy. And it only lasted for a minute or so. Childhood....Well, I don't remember my childhood. So I can only assume it wasn't very good.

What is it that drives the sensation of pure happiness? And where has that driver gone? It is like the video drivers on your computer have corrupted. Computer still functions but it is so dull and not very entertaining.

This couple, even though they will never know it, has sparked this question inside me. A question that I have never asked until now. Because the absence of Joy has never been a problem. As it has never existed with me.

So I ask again. Why do so many want to save humanity? From my viewpoint, all that was good has died.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Mr. Toodles]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Actually the innocent trees and plantlife, the innocent animals that never did anything to deserve their home being savagely destroyed, they deserve to be saved and protected. Now had you asked why should humanity be saved and I'd say, to H**** with humanity, we have none, and we should be annhilated and quick!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Would you care to define "to save" for us?
I think that could help.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

innocent life is infinite throught reality. Innocent life dies everytime you sneeze. This is why your pitifull "innocent life" isnt imporant in the grand scheme. The purpose of life is to get highly evolved creatures that understand things. Those are the only things that can survive all conditions within reality and survive.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

lol I will edit my OP. I meant humanity

line 2

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

To continue on existing in the manner in which we do. Humans are too far gone to be saved from annihilating ourselves. So why try?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
You can never forget that this is the world we created for ourselves on top of our little planet. We have our own world completely separate from the natural world. If our world isn't worth saving it doesn't mean the natural world should perish for it.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but when you talk about other peoples happiness (these "humans") you seem to give off a vibe that maybe the concept disgusts you. You must live in a place where that sort of thing is few and far between. I've read quite a few of your posts and even though you have made very good contributions, I always get an air of negativity surrounding your posts. Perhaps Mr. Toodles focusing on the positive would do you some good. T

There has to be something you enjoy or that brings you happiness, isn't there?

[edit on 23-7-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

You obviously don't have children do you...

link   
reply to post by DaMod

It does not disgust me. Actually, I kinda smiled when I saw it happen. I was raised to believe that happiness can never exist and have come to recently realize that happiness CAN exist. But it is very scarce where I come from.

link   

The continuity of existing in the same form is an illusion.
Change is constant and the essence of reality.

Some random wisdom from master Yoda:
Do, or do not. There is no try.

link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles

So I ask again. Why do so many want to save humanity? From my viewpoint, all that was good has died.

If I thought like this, I would never get out of bed in the morning!

Seeing all your threads, and you have quite a few, I think ATS brings you joy, and happiness.

Joy can be found in a lot of places and things, even if you don't realize it.

Does eating your favorite meal bring you joy? Watching the sun rise and set? Watching children play at a playground? Getting home from work without facing a traffic jam?

There is no reason you can't experience what the couple did that brought this question to your mind.

All you have to do is let yourself enjoy life, even in mundane things, and you will not only want humanity saved, but yourself!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I have a son. 4 years old. I rarely see him though. So it kinda makes no difference.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
reply to post by Unit541

I have a son. 4 years old. I rarely see him though. So it kinda makes no difference.

Given that, I have a feeling that your personal perspective has a lot to do with how dismal the world looks.

When you look at things differently, things look different. Happiness is not as rare as you think, you're just not looking in the right places.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I am sorry Unit! I don't want to be critical, but you can only make yourself happy. I see the Revolution coming. I see the Depression coming. I see the Environment dying. AND YET,

I feel happy every single day! Immensely happy! My wife lays her head on my chest at night! My son yells "Dada's Home" every night! My buddies come over and BBQ and swim and play poker. We ride motorcycles. Sometimes I just look at the clouds and I'm happy.

Last night a wildfire south of us made it "snow" here in Florida! White ash was drifting down, and the cats were swatting at it! I was very happy!

A tree frog hid in my motorcycle this morning and almost wrecked me on the way to work when he jumped onto my sunglasses! I didn't wreck, and I am still laughing about it!

I really hope you find some things to make you happy too!!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

innocent life is infinite throught reality. Innocent life dies everytime you sneeze. This is why your pitifull "innocent life" isnt imporant in the grand scheme. The purpose of life is to get highly evolved creatures that understand things. Those are the only things that can survive all conditions within reality and survive.

I was simply stating that animals and vegetation has no part in destroying the Earth, and they deserve to exist, Earth itself deserves to be left alone. When people start using their conciousness for good instead of evil, then I will beleive that "intelligent life" Deserves to exist, so far it has not done anything to prove it should. However, the lower life forms have not done any damage and should be spared, as it is what makes the world beautiful, we certainly don't make it more beautiful, we actually make it ugly.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Hmm...

Your view on the world appears to be bleak. There could be a number of reasons behind why you choose to look at the world the way you do. However, it is irrelevant.

What matters though is the choice of thought. It is all a choice of how you look at things. You have the power to control your own thoughts and perception. To remain in one point of view entirely is to create an illusionary barrier that will hold you into believing "this is how things are, this is who I am".

My point is, just because you may see the world in a manner to which you must ask, "what is the point of saving humanity?", there is a person out there who is asking "what is the point of letting humanity die?". You could share this view one day, or they could share yours, either way.. both are valid as everyone on this planet makes up what we call "life". It is the choices we are born with that is worth saving... because without choice, without free will, where do we go from there?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

No, somewhere out there is an outlier. It defines the human race. We evolved into sexual creatures so that we wouoldn't be wiped out from a disease asexually. Likewise, we are bent on destroying ourselves. Somewhere out in the world is a mass of people who don't share this human quality. Perhaps it lies in all of us. A shred of personality that pours out forgiveness and love instead of destruction and hate. Maybe if this personality became aware that the human race was going to die, it would show itself, and live. Remember The Day The Earth Stood Still? Even though it looks like we will all kill ourselves eventually, humanity might have a small chance of enduring if it is willing to change.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I suppose some good points have been made. But difficult to see when I only ever see people who are fighting. Looking at hair products, or otherwise preoccupied with crap that has no value whatsoever in life.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I think you need to have a satori or a profound spiritual experience/awakening, a "re-boot" if you will, so that your mind can become receptive to the joy and happiness you've missed out on. I'll send you a U2U about a way to acheive this that is certain and can't not work.

Just remember, that the "more that suffering has carved into your being, the more joy you can contain."

If you are receptive to the idea - consider the life to date as a carving out period, to pave the way for the joy that is sure to come your way, if you pray for it with expectant hope and optimism.

Resigned cynicism, because of all the disappointments along the way, while it may have served you as an effective defence mechanism against the pain, suffering and horrors of the world, or even your own upbringing and life to day - no longer serves you. It's time to give it up, and open your mind, and prepare for something extraordinary and novel to enter in

To be in joy, you need to open up and prepare to recieve it. There is no doubt that your cup is deep, but it's time to empty it.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Human Beings are argueably the most unique and intelligent species in our universe.

Is that worth saving?

Do we have a moral obligation to preserve our species, and take care of our beautiful planet for those who come after us? Is that worthwhile?

We are very flawed organisms, and we don't at this point have a choice in the matter. But there is something very important about human beings.
It is something we just know. On some level, we know this. To be born human, is to be born something special.

You said: all that was good has died.

For every act of greed I will show you an act of generosity.
For every hateful act I will show you an act of mercy.
For every destructive force there is a constructive one.

One could argue that our civilization might not be worth saving.

I don't think "happiness" is the point. I don't. I have glimpses of it, sure. But would I describe my life as "happy"? I don't think about it. I don't think about being happy. But I like it, I like my life. Whether or not I'm happy all the time is irrelevent to me.

Coffee in the morning. Leaves in the fall. The freshness of April.
Watching the dogs running after bumblebees. Watching my nephew come out of the birthing room with tears streaming down his face, and a huge grin at the same time, carrying his 5 minute old son.

No, I am not a pollyanna or Mary Sunshine. But neither am I anhedonic.

When I saw the title of this thread the first thing I said to myself, was "no platitudes"!, lol.

But I do want to quote Gibran from his book The Prophet. He is speaking on Joy and Sorrow.

When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Some of you say "joy is greater than sorrow, and others say, Nay, sorrow is the greater".

But I say unto you, they are inseparable. Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.

Humanity is worth saving. Yes. Indeed we are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join