It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Attacks on members

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I thought I would come on to the business board, and discuss this, I did not know were else to put this topic, plus it is to get feedback from Mods and other Members etc.

Just seems to me that a few members are at each others throats. Which makes me question, What has gone wrong with ATS, and why are members acting like this.

I do understand, that there is issues/topics of discussion, which might enrage members emotions, old scars etc. But please do remember there is a human beings behind that screen who is giving thier opinion. Sometimes it can be hurtfull. When there is not just one member, but a few members attacking you at the same time. There needs to be some respect of each other in ATS. But I know that will not happen until people learn to get along with each other.

Before anyone says it. I am not acting like a 5 year old, havng a Tantrum. What I read over the past week or so, made me feel ashamed of ATS, and also made me ask What does ATS stand for nowadays. Is ATS now a free for all gang up on any member, whom has a different opinion than they do.

Now I am not attacking the Mods or anything. Goodness knows you have alot to do in here, rather than acting like parents or a kindergarden teacher trying to keep these pupils or children under conrol.

Ijust want to know how other members feel about this. How we in ATS can overcome this and respect each other views or opinons without having to resort to, personaly slaggin each other off, or stating that someone's family member should die, this is just an example of what I read this week. Which I find rather alarming to say the least.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

People who feel powerless in their personal lives often lash out without due cause when their fragile mental states are perceived to be threatened. Attacking someone else is a way to cope with personal disgust issues. When it happens to me, I try to remember that those poor souls are acting out from pure self-loathing combined with the need to disguise the fact. All I can do, is either ignore them or hope that they eventually work things out so that they can recover their compassion.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
When you see it, alert on it. If it's a T&C violation, we'll handle it. If it's a difference of opinion, then that's all part of the process.

It's subjective. We're not going to be able to resolve every issue to everyone's satisfaction. But we'll make every effort to ensure that members are in compliance with the rules of the site. We can't be everywhere at once and do rely heavily on members notifying us about threads that are getting out of control.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Its a free forum not a church service. If they cant already imagine what people could say about their beliefs then they are a fool. This place keeps them from living in a damn bubble. Anyone can come in and crash their party... as in should be.

religious people and crazies have had MORE than enough time to actualy learn something to defend theirselves with so they can PROVE what they undersatnd instead of circle jerking in the corner and crying when somone brings reality to their door.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Wertdagf]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Who says I was religous?

Did I state I was?

No I did not.

I am just saying maybe some respect needs to be givin to those who have different opinons fromeach other, instead of stating, oh your brother should die, or good your sister got what she deserved when she was killed!

That tome is going way beyond being a human being.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Hi, polite ATSers. . . B-)

Listen to the "Coast to coast" video with George Noory, there:

www.realufos.net...

They WILL talk about behaviour. . .

Blue skies.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

sorry didnt really mean you. Just got into a "you" trend while typing. i correted my post very quickly

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Your stating that it goes beyond humanity... yet these are humans saying it? Maybe you fail to understand the life experiance that would lead somone to those beliefs and to make those statments?

Im sorry if this was a rude awakening to the pain the world is filled with because of the ignorant.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Sometimes it's just easier if people retrieve the spines they lost somewhere along the line.

Don't worry, soon enough the "free" world will have draconian laws to take care of this problem, and they'll make sure to take real good care of us.

Peace

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think that some people get at one another's throats because they have strong opinions and they're too sure that they're correct. Others, if they believe in something that's not easily proven, feel threatened when their belief is questioned and they're not strong enough in their belief, or in other words, they don't know well enough how to defend it. I often see this with fellow Christians, which saddens me.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
'You are a christian fundamentalist'
'You are a KKKer'
'You are a godless liberal'.
'You are a non-american JDL man'
'You dare to queston Obama ... you are a RACIST!'
'Man up .. grow a pair' (impossible!!
)
etc etc etc

All wrong.

I've been called those and lots more.
(probably even more behind my back

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I've noticed that some of the more "influential" members of ATS display arrogant and sarcastic characteristics. I won't mention a particular member, but an entire thread was dedicated to almost kissing his behind when he has from what I can tell, no likeable qualities. Being an asshole on ATS is now a "positive" thing.

This place seems to undergo changes every so often - none of them good.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The two places I see the most of this are with Obama and with Nibiru. Those seem to be the topics that bring out the beast. Usually if I read something that flames me up I don't post. Well maybe once in a while.

Oh and how could I forget 9/11 whoops sorry

[edit on 23-7-2009 by damwel]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Your are correct and justified for your feelings as it has been discussed many times on ATS www.abovetopsecret.com... just as an example.

You began this thread in hopes to have a discussion about curtesy on ATS. I appreciate and respect your opening statements as I too sometimes feel and agree with everything you stated. The problem I have with it and I have the same problem dealing with in my personal world at home is that "White is White" not a shade of Dove White or if it's maybe, possibly Milky White and most posters might agree that something is wrong with the official story of what happened on 9/11 but that doesn't make those who believe it nuts or domestic terrorist. Now I said I have a problem with facts vs opinion but I am very well aliked and respected by those who know me and even by those who don't know me well because once I find out that they live by the rule of opinion, I am able to respectfully agree to disagree without name calling. That is the biggest fault I find with ATS, when people post something disagreeing with i.e. Obama, then they are called "Haters", "Racist" and so on but that is because they have no leg to stand on but the facts are Obama is what is does and not what he says. I want to thank you for this thread, I'm going to give you a star and the benefit of the doubt for the future but if I see you on any of my threads name calling because somebody doesn't agree with your OPINION, I will then call you out on it and hold this thread as refrence!

reply to post by OzWeatherman

"Oz' Your a perfect example for me to use if you don't mind?

I read your thread about David Icke, personally I enjoy his speaches, books and theories. I didn't agree with your thread so I simply didn't post.

I don't know if everything he says is true, I do know that they are true to him but I don't consider that his opinion. He can prove what he is saying, we simply haven't experience it for ourselves but he does make a very clear case thro his books and presentations. But I wouldn't name call you "Hater" or anything like that, I simply don't post my thoughts because I can't back it up for me. He can back it up for him.

I hope that makes scence. It would be nice if members would remember to keep their opinions in their pants unless they can back up what they are disagreeing but to thro other threads and articles from reports that have an agenda for the opposition doesn't make it truth.

I truly believe if people would read the threads/articles first prior to posting their OPINIONS based on emotions and feelings it would reduce some of the arguements and hurt feelings. If you are not a believer of a story, DON'T POST! I don't. But when I post a story that is based on FACT and then a member doesn't like or agree with it they start name calling or they try to shot the messenger which is so wrong! I wish people would respecting what ATS is for and all about. Nice Thread!

[edit on 06/03/2009 by Rams59lb]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If your registration date is any indicator, your new around here.

There may be mods around here, but they are not Superman and they cannot police every little thing.

I think they have been doing a great job though.

And there is NOTHING WRONG WITH ATS! It has NOT gone downhill!!

In fact it has been improving significantly over the years.

You will need to grow some thicker skin, and ignore people who bother you.

See that ignore button? Use it. Problem solved. TYVM.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
....and some people are just rude.

Some people have never learned how to behave themselves in a responsible, conscientious manner.

Some people jump on a thread and immediately get to calling people names, like fools, or crazies, sheeple, idiots, or whatever else...definitely crossing the line between a good argument and a personal attack.

I don't really CARE if everyone agrees with my opinion. What I care about is that you can express that disagreement with a touch of decorum. I know that is asking way too much of a lot of people. Thousands and THOUSAND of users on here....gonna be a couple bad apples or sour grapes from time to time.

I've had someone tell me to 'get the hell off the forum' because they didn't agree with my position and decided it was a fine time to question my character and push their own self-loathing on to someone else.

Things have a way of working themselves out. It's difficult to try and take the high road, when instinct is to strike out, but that's exactly what we have to do.

I'm not responsible for what someone else does. I'm only responsible for my OWN response, my OWN treatment of other people. If someone wants to spend their lives hating, instigating and disrespecting others, they'll weed themselves out eventually.

I think the mods are busy, but do a decent job of taking action, when things are brought to their attention. We agreed to behave like adults when we signed up here. If someone can't type three words without attacking you, or someone else, do what's recommended of you and bring it to someone's attention.

Be patient, take care of you and yours and let the idiots run themselves into the ground. You can't fix everybody. Just keeping watching their points slip further and further into the red, till poof, like magic, you don't hear from them anymore.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Unfortunately on a site like this there are always going to be more than 10 people who deserve to never be heard from again.

What this site needs is extra ignores.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

It's not just Christians; I've seen that smug "You're too stupid to talk to" attitude coming from a lot of atheists as well.

It seems the "divide and conquer" method is working well as Democrats attack Republicans (and vice versa), Catholics attack Protest-ants, and so on.

As has been mentioned, ATS is not a church so we don't need to try to convert anyone to our point of view. It's a discussion board for discussing ideas. Not all ideas will be ones we agree with which is why we're discussing them.

I've run across a lot of opinions that don't set well with me on this board but I've also learned a lot and even those with whom I don't agree have expanded my thinking in certain areas.

Another disturbing trend is calling for torture and death to be carried out on those we hear about in the news who have committed some atrocity. When I read of people who hurt children or cops who abuse their authority I become very angry.

Still, it grieves me to hear of people who proclaim to be better, more civilized human beings calling for castration and various forms of torture to be carried out against these obviously disturbed individuals.

Rejoicing in the death of an ATS family member is just uncalled for. I'm glad I missed that thread laurauk.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
'You are a christian fundamentalist'
'You are a KKKer'
'You are a godless liberal'.
'You are a non-american JDL man'
'You dare to queston Obama ... you are a RACIST!'
'Man up .. grow a pair' (impossible!!
)
etc etc etc

All wrong.

I've been called those and lots more.
(probably even more behind my back

I think at one point I called you a Glenn Beck wannabe (it was over a year ago, maybe more).

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
If you don't like people, or they make you angry, it's up to you to ignore them.

I've never reported anyone for personal attacks or insults. I think they have a right to do that. I just try not to take it too personal when they attack me, and sometimes I let myself down and reciprocate in a similar manner.

I don't think it necessarily ruins debate on ATS, either.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join