It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police union condemns Obama's comments

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Sure, no racism. And then he did show his I.D.

But what law says accusing a cop of racism get's you arrested? Isn't that free speech? If I call the president stupid, what crime have I committed? Treason? Not in this country. I hope not.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Henry Louis Gates: James Crowley Is "A Rogue Policeman"
www.youtube.com...

Obama Seeks to Clarify 'Stupidly' Comment, Praises White Policeman
President Obama stopped short of an apology to Sgt. James Crowley for saying he "acted stupidly" for arresting black Harvard scholar Henry Lewis Gates Jr., but said he should have chosen his words more carefully.

www.foxnews.com...

President Obama stopped short of an apology to Sgt. James Crowley on Friday for saying he "acted stupidly" for arresting black Harvard scholar Henry Lewis Gates Jr., but said he should have chosen his words more carefully.

At an impromptu appearance at the daily White House briefing, Obama said he spoke with Crowley over the phone, and said he wanted to share a beer with Crowley and Gates at the White House.

"Because this has been ratcheting up and I helped contribute to ratcheting it up, I want to make clear that in my choice of words I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department or Sgt. Crowley specifically and I could have calibrated those words differently."

"My sense is you've got two good people in a circumstance in which neither of them were able to resolve it the way the wanted to resolve it," Obama added.

Earlier in the day Friday, the Cambridge and area police unions voiced their support for Crowley and called for an apology from Obama for his statement.

"His remarks were obviously misdirected but made it worse yet by suggesting somehow this case should remind us of a history of racial abuse by law enforcement," Dennis O'Connor, president of the Cambridge Police Superior Officers Association, said at a news conference.

falls short of apology.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Acting Stupidly

Originally posted by danj3ris
The president didn't denigrate or defame a police officer due to race. He said the Cambridge police acted stupidly. Not stupidly racist.

Here's a transcript of the President's remarks.

Here's a related story from a local TV station.

Despite his well-practiced use of weasel words, disclaimers and double-talk, the President is very clearly judging this case on the basis of his own personal prejudices. Why? Because when he admits to not having all the facts, prejudice is what takes their place.

The President of the United States has, in his own words, expressed prejudice regarding a controversial law enforcement matter. That IS news.

Granted, perhaps he was indeed simply "a little biased here," as he suggested, because the case involved a personal friend of his. Putting aside the dubious propriety of a sitting President commenting on a law enforcement matter involving a personal friend, the fact is that the matter would have never come to such a significant degree of national attention if race -- and allegations of racism -- hadn't drawn the media spotlight.

The problem with the backpeddling and rationalization being offered for his comments is that they seek to ignore the context and circumstances in which they took place.

Simply put, President Obama would have had no legitimate occasion or reason to condemn Officer Crowley's actions and tie them to racial profiling were it not for Officer Crowley's race.

Therein lies the irony.

Spin Cycle

This should be a dead issue at this point but the spin machine keeps chugging along. Calmer heads have sadly not prevailed.

Actually, there are multiple spin machines going, lest we forget that this incident has achieved national attention precisely because it has been characterized as a case of "racial profiling" by the usual suspects.

By wading into the controversy and passing judgment on the case without bothering to avail himself of the facts, President Obama has chosen to inject his own biases into the controversy.

When faced with such gratuitous presidential grandstanding, calmer heads cannot possibly prevail.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Gates is wrong to think he was profiled. I was in a situation with the cops where I was very angry for a false charge, and I kept yelling, and the cop told me to quiet down or he was going to arrest me. I kept yelling anyway, and I got arrested. I don't see why this guy can get away with yelling at a cop and disobeying his orders. Cops have to control a situation to keep it from escalating. If he let him yell then he wouldn't have done his job properly. Besides, I read the police report. He was making a big scene and drawing attention. You don't yell at a cop, it's just plain stupid.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

reply to post by groingrinder

Sure, no racism. And then he did show his I.D.

But what law says accusing a cop of racism get's you arrested? Isn't that free speech? If I call the president stupid, what crime have I committed? Treason? Not in this country. I hope not.

He showed his ID after calling the police officer racist numerous times and yelling at him. He was attempting to create a scene and raise a ruckus. The police asked the man to step outside, as he was apparently so loud that his yelling was interfering with the transmission and reception of radio transmission. When he stepped outside, he continued his shpeel on racism and how he's being oppressed, yelling and so forth. He was warned twice that if he didn't calm down, he would be arrested for disorderly conduct. Which he payed no attention to. And was arrested.

Two independent witnesses verified that Sgt. Crowley tried to explain to the professor why he was there, why he wanted to see ID, that it was the result of a 911 call reporting a break-in. The professor seemingly payed no attention to Crowley and kept screaming his inherently racist remarks.

How was the police sergeant in the wrong? I say he handled everything fairly well, considering there were many opportunities for a taser to be pulled, a baton to be swung, fists to fly, etc. Restraint was applied by police towards a hostile suspect, and even that is wrong according to some people.

Can't win for losing, right?

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Highground]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
And what is the White House position on this matter?

Obama's conciliatory moves marked an abrupt shift from Friday morning, when White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs dismissed a suggestion that the backlash from police groups could be distressing to the White House, given that Obama has enjoyed a positive relationship with the law enforcement community.

"I think the Fraternal Order of Police endorsed McCain," Gibbs fired back at reporters, referring to Obama's Republican opponent in the 2008 election. "If I'm not mistaken."

Source.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

"I think the Fraternal Order of Police endorsed McCain," Gibbs fired back at reporters, referring to Obama's Republican opponent in the 2008 election. "If I'm not mistaken."

WOW, Gibbs is a worm.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Agreed. But Gibbs speaks for the Obama regime, and it's obvious by this politics plays a bigger part with them than truth and justice.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
What this has really done is reinforced the idea in America that racial profiling is a non-issue. Personally I always thought the issue was for the most part b.s.

Now, what Obama has done is set this issue back where credibility is concerned. Whenever we hear another case of racial profiling what is going to be the first thing that comes to mind?

It's going to be the President of United States trying to inflict a racial wound on America with he help of a racist black professor from Harvard. Both failed and we now know that mot of these charges of racism are lies.

How many of those fence sitting white Americans are now holding their heads in shame because they voted for this guy? What Obama is saying is that white America is the problem. He didn't say law enforcement needs to be more friendly to the community at large. He said Latinos and blacks need to rage against the cops whenever possible. That is the true hidden message.

Will Obama be re-elected? Absolutely not... The great experiment of having a black racist run the country because of some misplaced white guilt has failed. Black America more than any other group loses in this case.

Obama could have been that president that future generations looked back on and we said "ya, they did that one right." They will now look back and say "wow, that was fubar."

At least now minorities can say I was "Obamad" when they scream racial profiling....

Black America thinks they had bad before the Obama / Nutty Professor racism cry? It's open season now for every cop that does indeed hate your kind.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
I don't think a cop would ask me to show my ID in a million years if they came to my house after I called them there for a break in.

The call that came in was that there were two black men breaking into a home. When they got there, there was a black man in the home who was obstanant and who refused to present the officers an ID.

The cops acted correctly.

The Harvard professor was a freak'n moron and got what he deserved.

Obama showed his true racist colors with his statement.

Obama NEVER APOLOGIZED to the officer. He just said - two good people failed ... ' That's crap. The cop was right. The black professor was wrong. And Obama is trying to hide his obvious racist based ignorant remarks.

Originally posted by Majic
Despite his well-practiced use of weasel words, disclaimers and double-talk, the President is very clearly judging this case on the basis of his own personal prejudices.

'weasel words, disclaimers and double-talk.' I LOVE how you said that!
It's soooo true. His own racist ignorance came pouring out.
I wish we still had WATS to give ...

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Agreed. But Gibbs speaks for the Obama regime, and it's obvious by this politics plays a bigger part with them than truth and justice.

I think Rahm runs the show.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Let's face it they played the race card to get him elected.

You could not say anyting about Obama without being called a racist.

Period.

Now they can use it to divide people along racial lines.

I think it is going to get really ugly.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
www.washingtontimes.com...

Gates may not really want to move on

GATES:But I think more importantly, to me, is seeing a normal black family, a superior black family, but a normal organic nuclear family, with two little black girls running around the White House, that is a paradigm shift. I think that even the thickest, dumbest white person will understand that we are in a new world. And they'll begin to see black people in a different way, subliminally.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I know he does. Poor guy has to teach his students, Obama and Biden, to stay on script (teleprompter?
).

[edit on 7/25/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I know he does. Poor guy has to teach his students, Obama and Biden, to stay on script (teleprompter?
).

[edit on 7/25/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

No doubt.

Ever watch him squirm in the background during news conferences?

and that nasty Valerie Jarrett: Who Obama calls the othe half of his brain.
www.guardian.co.uk...

www.soundpolitics.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Perhaps one of my "fellow" liberals can answer this question. It has been plaguing me for years, and even though I voted for Obama, I haven't ever had my question answered in an intelligent, non-hysterical manner. Why is a man who makes his living being a "Professional African-American" thought of as an honored member of society while anyone who makes his living as "Professional European-American" thought of as racist trailer trash? I just don't see the difference...

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by danj3ris

It's what we called in the old days, "RESPECT FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT".

Prof. Gates of Harvard forgot the basic rules in dealing with the police. Its show them your ID, answer questions honestly with a "Yes Sir/No Sir" and when driving, "where do I sign" and then keep your trap shut. Treat the officers with the respect they DESERVE!!!

You defend your rights in the court room, geez.... Bad mouth a police officer, stupid, stupid move.

The Cambridge PD were leaving Gate's home, when the Professor decided since he's BO's bud, he'd play the ole race card on the local PD. It did not work!! Greatly offended the local officers who handled the situation properly and law enforcement all across America, got a GOOD look at the real BO.

Prof. Gates got what he deserved, a trip to the station for having a fat mouth.

As far as BO's twin performances regarding Prof. Gates, I have come to the conclusion the he's not just TPTB's empty suit, he's nothing but a bully and a punk.

You'd think a Harvard educated President would have known better. But in his scheme of things, he'd rather play "Divide and Conquer" than be the President of all the American people.

Professor Gates has an excuse, he dropped out of Yale, where they teach real men how to play hardball. I've seen all I need to see. BO carries a bag of softballs.

As a final note, God bless Los Angeles' Ex-Chief of Police, Daryl Gates, the best Chief of Police this city has ever had.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
reply to post by rangersdad

Hold on, now. Read the story again. The police didn't screw up on this one. Gates did plenty wrong in this case.

Crowley responded to Gates’ home near Harvard University last week to investigate a report of a burglary and demanded Gates show him identification. Police say Gates at first refused, flew into a rage and accused the officer of racism.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

So to answer your question, no, they didn't have his ID when Gates flew into a rage and started off playing the race card and playing the Rev. Jesse Jackson wannabe.

yeah and if the same thing happened at dick cheney's house...would they put handcuffs on dick and arrest him???? of course not!!!....hell, he can shoot someone in the face with a shotgun and not get arrested...but gates calls the cop a racist in his own home...and bam.... handcuffs on, without hesitation because he was disorderly....yeah...right....no problem there...OBAMA WAS RIGHT...in fact i thought he went easy when he said the cops acted stupidly...what? don't tell me nobody else thinks so.

and this police chief saying that obama needs to apologize to ALL THE POLICE IN AMERICA!!!! maybe if you can keep the police from beaten the hell out of anybody who looks at them funny...all you got to do is go on youtube and look at all the police beatings that have been recorded, and there is no telling how many have not been captured on camera.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
SARCASM ALERT: The following statement is completely sarcastic:

Yeah. We know that there is not, and has never been, any such thing as racial profiling of African American, Latino or other minority groups by law enforcement. These people who claim they have been abused for the last two centuries or more are lying and just trying to justify their racism. In fact, there has NEVER been any profiling of any person or group by the police ever in the history of this country.

President Obama has never witnessed or experienced any kind of racial prejudice or discrimination ever in his entire life. Therefore he has no personal experience to draw from and no reason to imagine there might be discrimination in the case of a friend.

President Obama was just being hateful and racist when he said the Cambridge police acted stupidly. We know the police NEVER act stupidly. He just wants to divide the country along racial lines, that's his motive.

How dare he remind us that we, as a society, are not yet perfect when it comes to race and ethnicity?

END OF SARCASM.

Obama has acknowledged that he spoke in haste. IMO both sides acted stupidly.

It is inflammatory in this country to even suggest that we may have racial divisions.

Anything Obama said short of crawling on his knees and begging us white folks to forgive him for being mistaken in this instance would not be accepted by a lot of people here on ATS.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
Obama has acknowledged that he spoke in haste. IMO both sides acted stupidly.

It is inflammatory in this country to even suggest that we may have racial divisions.

Anything Obama said short of crawling on his knees and begging us white folks to forgive him for being mistaken in this instance would not be accepted by a lot of people here on ATS.

OK. Let's take a look at reality. Gates, who is black, is a tenured professor at one of the most revered universities in the world; his state Governor, Deval Patrick, is black; and the President of the United States is black.

Now, how long can someone play the race card that blacks are being kept down?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join