It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator: Half our opposition to health care is just plain politics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Senator: Half our opposition to health care is just plain politics

rawstory.com

Half the Republicans' opposition to a public health care option comes not from policy differences with the Democrats, or fundamental philosophical differences about the role of government, but purely from a desire to score political points against President Barack Obama, a senior Republican senator has admitted.

George Voinovich (R-OH) said on CNBC Wednesday that a desire to prevent the Democratic president from scoring a historical victory with a public health plan accounts for at least 50 percent of the GOP opposition to the plan.

Squawk Box host Carl Quintanilla asked the senator: "
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Actually I find this astonishing! That a member of the GOP would actually admit that political one up manship plays a part in policy. Is it actually possible that there may be a new
era of bipartisanship and compromise that has the American working man at the focal point rather than the corporations.

Nah, what was I thinking? Can't happen!

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-7-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I don't doubt the statistic, and find your post compelling, but I believe, all things being equal, that it might be just as accurate to contend that 50% of the support it is receiving is political as well.

So what we might consider a shocking revelation about the GOP is nothing more than cherry picking the political bias one intends to criticize.

The truth is this entire bill is a manifestation of politics, considering the interests allowed to participate in its crafting and the level of financial involvement they have with the political "parties" (it's really just one party with two faces).

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Further proof that there really is no difference between the two. Because the substance of the bill is the thing that should be driving this thing. It's actually the people that are calling and complaining to their representatives that are fighting this.

They (GOP and dems) are more afraid of losing their power and position (and if they do, they might end up with a healthcare plan like the rest oof us!) so they will do everything they can to stay in power. And if that means actually listening to us, then it's a bonus!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I do not think it would be outrageous to carry his statement to the max and say that 50% of all support and opposition of all legislation at all levels of government are the result of political ideology rather than what is best for the American people, and of that remaining 50% probably half of that is due to an ulterior motive other than doing what is right.This comes as no surprise at all, with the exception that someone admitted to it.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
50% of the opposition is petty political BS and 50% of the support is petty political BS. We all know the morons writing these bills and voting on these bills are little more than spoiled children jerking at their privates. Well, some of us know that.

What gets me is here a poli is admitting not only the game is half bull but it's also half wrong and he knows it. 50% politics so the other 50% of the opposition must be genuine problems. From his own mouth.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Some of the problems Voinovich mentions are indeed real ones. We have to have a health care plan that is fiscally sustainable and won't bankrupt the whole country in a few years.

At the same time, we spend more of the GDP on medical care in this country than almost any other and we still have millions with no health insurance and limited or non-existent access to the health care system.

If we hadn't spent trillions on a misguided war in Iraq there would be money now to spend on health care. But the damage to the budget and the country has been done and can't be undone now.

It would be good to see sincere Republicans like Voinovich seriously working with Democrats on a solution to the health care crisis.

No more playing "gotcha" with each other but a real concerted effort.

But that's probably a dream.

IMO my real fear is there will be so much compromising we will end up with a half-public, half privatized mess like the Medicare Part D reform that was enacted a couple of years ago.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
...Is it actually possible that there may be a new
era of bipartisanship and compromise that has the American working man at the focal point rather than the corporations.

Whaaa, you had me going with that line

At a time when a for profit health system is not optimal for the health of the economy or citizen alike, we are offered politics. Shameful!

We have undoubtedly not elected our best and brightest to deal with complex, big issues, issues beyond how to get more corporate donations for their next election.

Leaders elected on a platform of morality leave much to be desired when it comes to the immorality of profits over health.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
So let me get this straight, they are opposing the health care plan just because they don't like the dems? Oh man, those sobs are lucky i'm not president. Your in that position to serve the people not your own personal damn agenda.

You see that's ACTUALLY the reason why this country is in the condition it's in. Instead of taking care of business morons like that would rather play politics.

When the system melts down, i'm ridin on politicians!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
my opinion is that you are all wrong

this guy is lying!

Sure there may be some people doing this, but i'm sure they don't represent a majority.

The healthcare bill is B$

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
All I know is, I want Obama's health care plan to fail. I don't care why it fails at this point. I don't care if it's politics, I don't care if it's public opposition, I don't care if a giant dragon swoops out of the sky and attacks Washington before the vote goes through (don't we wish?) I just don't want it to go through.

I will NOT be told that I must spend money I don't have on a health care plan. I will NOT take other peoples' hard earned cash to pay for my own health care, either. I understand the risks and I'm willing to take them. Big Pharma, Dumb Docs, and the Insurance Empire can like my salty nuts.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

50% of the opposition is petty political BS and 50% of the support is petty political BS. We all know the morons writing these bills and voting on these bills are little more than spoiled children jerking at their privates. Well, some of us know that.

If you are referring to the morons as lobbyist then I absolutely agree. Most of the politicians don't know the details of this thing and most of the public has no clue either.

Corporate power writes these gigantic bills....they just influence white house and Congressmen's staff to get what they want.

Mark my words....no matter what is passed....it will mostly benefit the top.

Has anyone noticed that the middle class is gone yet?

How many 1000 page bills are we going to have this year?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

So when one of Obama's pet reforms is shot down by the opposition, one of his stooges (I can only assume it is a stooge) in the Republican party admits on behalf of all his colleagues that they are just voting against this great bill for political pointscoring.

Well this can only mean one thing, that even if Obama's policy is criticized, flounders and possibly fails, that nobody really meant it, and in fact everyone loved it.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Thanks for pointing that out whaaa.

It certainly explains that crazy GOP Flow chart oozing in another thread.

Nice find. S & F and

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Obama's health care plan may be DOA anyway.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Another political aspect to all this is calling the health plan "Obama's health plan." Referring to it as Americans' health plan, Health Plan for America, 21st Century H P, etc. would make it less vulnerable to political attacks, by taking off the name of a politician.

Likewise, one could label a Republican plan (or lack thereof) as the Corporate Health Plan, Corporate Health Care, etc.

So, CNN quotes Coburn and uses him as a pointman for the opposition. Is this the same C-street Senator Coburn who wanted monetary "restitution" for Ensign's mistress's family, the same Coburn who is caught up in the birth certificate drama by endorsing the House bill proposed, who viewed the tv airing of Schindler's List as "irresponsible sexual behavior", who is to the right of Newt? The same Coburn known for stall tactics in Congress?

Will moderate Republicans please stand up, please stand up?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
reply to post by whaaa

Another political aspect to all this is calling the health plan "Obama's health plan." Referring to it as Americans' health plan, Health Plan for America, 21st Century H P, etc. would make it less vulnerable to political attacks, by taking off the name of a politician.

If I could applaud you I would! Excellent point and clearly explained!

new topics

top topics

join