It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be Your Own God! Self-Reliance is the key

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by John Matrix

I hope your God's character consists of humility, kindness, brotherly love, forgiveness, patience(forbearance and long suffering) etc.

You hope this for your sake I assume. When you are your own God though, all these things come naturally because there is no one to blame. No one to hate.

Otherwise your God will fail you.

When one follows their own will, they can never truly fail, even if they never reach their destination.

The Divine Nature, Christ nature, character of God, is not natural, does not come naturally to man.

The heart and mind of man is full of pride, covetousness, envying...and when his nature is challenged or contradicted, he is thrown into a state of wrath.

Man has no other nature unless God gives it to him. The heart of man is evil and desperately wicked above all things, continually contemplating evil thoughts.

Yes, and I would posit that it is because man is never taught to live his life according to his own will. Instead he is told to live it according to the will of others, or the will of a diety.

The frustration that occurs in the mind of man when this contradiction is what is mistaken for life causes all sorts of perversions and pariahs in society. And these are often the same which condemn the man who wishes to live according to his own will.

Now it's true that living under any code which challenges the man not to live a reflexive life will also refine the man to a degree in which he can sense his true will. Once this happens, and the man learns to forgive himself, basically allowing for his own humanity he has discovered through the process, then he no longer needs the code in order to know what right action should be.

Look at all the senseless murders, rapes, robberies, etc. on the evening news. That's the nature of man at work without God. The good man does for his fellow man, he could not do without God.

I don't need a sense of God outside of myself to want to assist my fellow man. I have experienced pain, loss, tragedy, as well as joy, and relief... These experiences have given me the capacity to empathize with others.

When push comes to shove, your SELF will not be the anchor that saves you, it will be the weight that sinks you. Your Self won't be Rock you can stand on, it will be the sand you sink into.

That seems rather self-destructive doesn't it? Let's be honest, the Self doesn't really exist. Not unless there is a reigning narrative. A Lord within. The end of the scattering of ones energy in an attempt to find meaning, and the birth of the Will, which forever provides meaning from then on. This is the wellspring inside that sages of the past have mentioned.

When the pressures of life get unbearabe, people with no faith just snap and go postal. I see it every day.

But where does faith come from? And why does that faith have to be in something other than the self?

My faith comes from discovering and following my Will like others follow God. This brings me the highest pleasure and peace of mind than anything else could ever offer before. No relationship, no drug, no amount of money, no religious experience has been as ecstatic as my experience of Self and it's evolution within me.

It's really all about self respect.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

Omega, I believe we are saying the same thing here. After I read this post of yours it is apparent to me that you are indeed speaking of the same thing I am. Your language is a bit more decorative than mine, but I agree with this post of yours.

Thank you for your contribution.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Have you read Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now"?

I agree with almost all of it.

Basicallly we have two selves, one, the eternal essense of Godsource Godbeing, and the other, an ego mind.

The "Great Work" of the human being is to dissolve the latter with the former, and make the two one and the same. And then when we die, we never die.

And to have Christ is to have an insurance policy, or a divine intercessory grace, when we fail at that, which most of us do.

But the thing which most Christians miss, is Jesus' forgiveness of his tormentors when on the cross, and what that means within the framework of the relativity of human being, and the evils and suffering brought about by the egoic mind and it's delusions.

There's no need to convert anyone, since it's all-inclusive by it's very nature.

Well meaning Christians demean the work of Jesus Christ by making it an exclusive proposition, when in all truth he's the Bodhisatva of the ages, who took away the sins of the world.

Now all we need to is to get with the program, by getting to the end of the faulty program, the worst aspect of which would elevate the egoic mind to Godhood.

So let us be clear about which "self" we are talking about here.

When I see a title like that "Be your own God" to be honest, it just sends shivers down my spine, because in part, it reminds me of LaVeyan Satanism.

To try to knock the holy of holies off His holy throne and elevate the self to in effect replace God of the highest - well, that attempt, according to myth, was tried before, in vain.

You will never find me trying to replace God with myself.

So I'm not entirely sure that we are saying the same thing in a slightly different way.

Three is a certain rebellious nature at work with some people, in some ways motivated by an understandable revulsion towards "Churchianity", but it can very easily cross the line, and place a person's eternal soul in jeopardy of never seeing the truth, of never surrendering to what is eternal, and that can be dangerous for the soul to go in that direction. That said however, I must say that I do NOT believe in any such thing as eternal damnation, although some people probably end up in a very bad place for quite a very long time before they are purged or processed by the neccessary learning experience.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

Well I think the biggest take away on my part. Is it doesn't matter. There is no cosmic diety to piss off. There is no afterlife that could be taken from you. Notice I didn't say there wasn't an afterlife in the absolute because honestly... I don't know and am only vaguely curious.

I, like Cardinal Thomas de Vio, deny the ability of the human reason to prove beyond all doubt that the soul is immortal.

There is no reason outside of ourselves to do anything. There is no divine tightrope which we must walk.

Here is another writing that describes this beautifully. Note that I typed this exactly as it appears in writing. All inconsistencies are attributed to the previous editor. I should however note that this is written around 1909, and thus is draped with all the trappings of occultism which existed at the turn of the century. About 80 years after the essay on Self-Reliance written by Emerson.

Man is bound by but One Law
If he breaks a part of it, he hurts no one but himself.
While he lives in unity with It, he is God.
While he does not live in unity with It he is Man.
While he lives in unity with it he becomes the Law.
To realise the Law and live it is the Great Work.
To break the Law after he has realized it is Sin.
To endeavour to bring all to the knowledge of the Law, is to keep the Law.
Seek ye the Law that ye may be Free.
Wisdom, Love, Power, these three are One. That these should be One is the Law.
By finding the Point from which these three become equal, and there remaining, by this means only, can the Law be Known.
If ye know this, ye know All.
If ye know not this, ye know less than All
Seek ever for the Absolute, and be content with Nothing less.

Let me add one more piece to this post... Just to show the corollary with my original post; Emerson, in his Essay on Self-Reliance goes on to say...:

As soon as the man is at one with God, he will not beg. He will then see prayer in all action. The prayer of the farmer kneeling in his field to weed it, the prayer of the rower kneeling with the stroke of his oar, are true prayers heard throughout nature, though for cheap ends. Caratach, in Fletcher's Bonduca, when admonished to inquire the mind of the god Audate, replies, —

"His hidden meaning lies in our endeavours;
Our valors are our best gods."

[edit on 25-7-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing that; it was a good read.

As the Buddha said, "Be a light unto yourself; betake yourselves to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone but yourselves."

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jethro Tull

And thank you for that great addition.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Most people just are not going to get it.
They need to have some entity to rely on, others to blame.
It is really that God Source is a collective of all life.
We all are responsible to connect to that God Source. IMO
Just my opinion and everybody has one.

Just posting your quote again because it says so much in so little words.

But damn girl, when are you ever going to post something that I disagree with?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

In the end, you control your subjective experience and interpretation of the world (soul). Whether you be a man in chains, a simple farmer, or a tycoon, it makes no difference.

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.

Very well stated. Anyone who looks outside of themselves for peace is doomed to fail.

Thank-You for bringing this topic to light.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
It is interesting that the opposition you are getting refers to the external which has nothing to do with the internal. That is the beauty of said mass religion. It allows one to place all blame externally and of course never letting us pat ourselves on the back when we do get it right. He took my money so he is doing the devil's work type of ideas.

It is much better to place spiritual type behavior into your own hands for whatever happens one is still free inside. Through time I looked at the philosophies of all human/beliefs. I take what seems important to me and what rings true through life experience itself. So am I Pagan? Yes Christian? Yes Atheist? Yes Taoist? Yes, Buddhist? Yes! Native American Beliefs? Yes! Parts of all human existence ring true to me.

Interesting that you spoke about music. What type of music do you do? When I was much younger I did a lot of music but, nobody wanted to work with the gay guy. Sure they would take my angst lyrics or music but, I could not be part of the game plan through perception of fame achieved through female admiration.

I had much contempt and my music dried up. When I let it go it came back to me the last few years and the music is much better through experience in life itself as my ideas about music have changed drastically.

Your ideas so much remind me of Chaotes!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
en.wikiquote.org...

* You cannot depend upon anybody. There is no guide, no teacher, no authority. There is only you—your relationship with others and with the world—there is nothing else. When you realize this, it either brings great despair, from which comes cynicism and bitterness, or, in facing the fact that you and nobody else is responsible for the world and for yourself, for what you think, what you feel, how you act, all self-pity goes. Normally we thrive on blaming others, which is a form of self-pity.

----------------

Throughout theological history we have been assured by religious leaders that if we perform certain rituals, repeat certain prayers or mantras, conform to certain patterns, suppress our desires, control our thoughts, sublimate our passions, limit our appetites and refrain from sexual indulgence, we shall, after sufficient torture of the mind and body, find something beyond this little life. And that is what millions of so-called religious people have done through the ages, either in isolation, going off into the desert or into the mountains or a cave or wandering from village to village with a begging bowl, or, in a group, joining a monastery, forcing their minds to conform to an established pattern.

But a tortured mind, a broken mind, a mind which wants to escape from all turmoil, which has denied the outer world and been made dull through discipline and conformity —such a mind, however long it seeks, will find only according to its own distortion.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by pai mei]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I remember once on my knees praying to god and asking for help
Then suddenly I realized........... I was actually praying to myself!

[edit on 7-9-2009 by ModernAcademia]

Amazing....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join