It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bruce Lee - Actor or Martial Arts Expert..?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Ive really got nothing to say on the subject of people.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Is this really a conspiracy theory?

Its all well and good coming on here and bad mouthing Big Bruce's martial arts skills, if you said it to his face he would probably break you in half

Actor or Expert? Doesn't matter, he still kicks ass!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

bruce lee was one of the best in the world. This should be in Below Top Secret

en.wikipedia.org...

Lee's first introduction to martial arts was through his father, Lee Hoi Cheun. He learned the fundamentals of Wu style Tai Chi Chuan from his father.[30] Lee's sifu, Wing Chun master Yip Man, was also a colleague and friend of Hong Kong's Wu style Tai Chi Chuan teacher Wu Ta-ch'i.

Lee trained in Wing Chun Gung Fu from age 13–18 under Hong Kong Wing Chun Sifu Yip Man. Lee was introduced to Yip Man in early 1954 by William Cheung, then a live-in student of Yip Man. Like most Chinese martial arts schools at that time, Sifu Yip Man's classes were often taught by the highest ranking students. One of the highest ranking students under Yip Man at the time was Wong Shun-Leung. Wong is thought to have had the largest influence on Bruce's training. Yip Man trained Lee privately after some students refused to train with Lee due to his ancestry ( his mother was of half German ancestry ) as Chinese were secretive in relation to teaching martial arts techniques especially to foreigners.[31]

Lee was also trained in Western boxing and won the 1958 Boxing Championship match against 3-time champion Gary Elms by knockout in the 3rd round. Before arriving to the finals against Elms, Lee had knocked out 3 straight boxers in the first round.[32] In addition, Bruce learned western fencing techniques from his brother Peter Lee, who was a champion fencer at the time.[33]

At 22 Lee also met Professor Wally Jay, and began to receive informal instruction in Jujitsu from him. The two would have long conversations about theories surrounding the martial arts and grew to be longtime friends.[34]

As seen in his films, Lee shrieked and made high-pitched noises while moving to throw opponents psychically off-center.[35]

Although there is no record of Lee having achieved any belts, sashes, or certifications in any particular martial art, this multi-faceted exposure to different fighting arts would later play an influence in the creation of the eclectic martial art Jeet Kune Do.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Kevin_X2]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I don't know how one gets the idea that Bruce Lee was not a true martial arts expert. He developed Jeet Kune Do which is an amalgam of several martial arts that focusses on removing much of the flourish and ceremony from Kung Fu and others. It is an art that derives its effectiveness from efficiency of movement.

Jeet Kune do

I think that to say Bruce Lee was not a "true" martial artist is false.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I don't agree. Let's here some good debate. Please look up Bruce Lee and Wing Chun. (my personal favorite, as it is the only one I have studied.)

There is undoubtedly much speculation surrounding this man, his teachings, and what he knew or didn't.

I have an account from my Grand Master that he KNEW and worked with Bruce Lee. He had pictures, but I suppose he could be lying. I would not DARE accuse him of being dishonorable though. He can do close to ten powerful blows per SECOND (at over sixty years old). I could only stand there, in disbelief, though I had seen it with my own eyes.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tamale_214
I don't know how one gets the idea that Bruce Lee was not a true martial arts expert. He developed Jeet Kune Do which is an amalgam of several martial arts that focusses on removing much of the flourish and ceremony from Kung Fu and others. It is an art that derives its effectiveness from efficiency of movement.

Jeet Kune do

I think that to say Bruce Lee was not a "true" martial artist is false.

No thats not what happened.

What Bruce was teaching in his schools was not JKD. JKD was developed afterwards by one of his students who he had specificly told to stop teaching.

There was no set moves to what he was teaching in his schools so inosanto just made up a fake martial arts the HE called Jeet Kune Do. The Lee estate the took him to court and forced him to stop using the name for what he was teaching. inosanto then changed the name to JKD and this is what people think is Bruces fighting style.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
I don't agree. Let's here some good debate. Please look up Bruce Lee and Wing Chun. (my personal favorite, as it is the only one I have studied.)

I studied Wing Chun as well. Wouldnt you agree Bruces stances are unbalanced and sloppy?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Reply to post by LiveForever8

That's just wrong. I would also never have questione
his maculinity...though he would have more than likely been very gracious...before I woke up DEAD. ;p It taught me that judement of someone based on physical appearance can be deadly.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Bruce Lee was The Man! And, a snappy dresser.

Looking for something a little strange?

Look no further than Bruce Lee and his son Brandon Lee.

Bruce Lee died while making a movie.
Brandon Lee died while making a movie.

In Bruce Lee's last movie (Game Of Death) Bruce played a character who was shot (as in, with a gun) on a movie set.

In Brandon Lee's last movie (The Crow) Brandon was shot and killed (an accident?) on the movie set.

Recap: Father's last movie - plays a character who is shot on a movie set. Years later, son's last movie - is actually shot on a movie set...and dies.

R.I.P. Bruce and Brandon.

Dragon whips tail!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Reply to post by VitalOverdose

I could never be as graceful as my master..I would gue
s that Bruce, having assimilate
so many different styles and disciplines, was quite proficient...regardless of my interpretation of the mechanics of his stances

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Bruce Lee was great, when he started teaching students in America the other martial arts masters were not happy about him teaching white people black people ect ect...so they challenged him to some underground duels and Bruce did just fine.

Bruce Lee knew martial arts like the back of his hand, he also taught Chuck Norris.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I kinda see him as the Jesus of the martial arts.
He broke tradition and wasn't a fan of fixed stances.He always said to be like water and adapt...not be fixed in your position but be fluid in your movements.
He was the real deal and if you watch his one inch punch the guy had alot of focus and power.
He WAS the real deal.

top topics

join