It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Poll: Jon Stewart Is America's Most Trusted Newsman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

www.huffingtonpost.com

Well, in a result that he will probably accept as downright apocalyptic for America, The Daily Show's Jon Stewart has been selected, in an online poll conducted by Time Magazine, as America's Most Trusted Newscaster, post-Cronkite. Matched up against Brian Williams, Katie Couric and Charlie Gibson, Stewart prevailed with 44 percent of the vote.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I wonder if Uncle Walter is having a good belly laugh over this? He probably is.

Personally I don't know whether to laugh or cry myself.

Of course its an online poll and all but still it says volumes that a comedian whose job it is to mock the 24 hour news cycles is chosen as more trustworthy than the ones he mocks.

Personally I refuse to watch cable news shows and only catch Jon Stewart sporadically online and I have to say that he is indeed on the money a lot.

In an era when the cable news blah blah blah's think that they themselves and their opinions are newsworthy...this should be a wake up call.

I don't give a rats ass about what mush loosebowels or Keith Obermann or bill o really or Rachel Maddow or Lou Dobbs or any of the rest of them think...their self important patter obstructs access to the actual news and paying attention to them is a waste of my (and your) time.

Sometimes the clown who points out that the emperor has no clothes is more important than the emperor.

www.huffingtonpost.com

[edit on 23-7-2009 by grover]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I wonder where Colbert was in that poll?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Hilarious!
And Sad!

I agree with the pollsters. I look for the recycled version of the news for information. I never trust it from the original source. They are too quick to make assumptions and go forward with un-verified claims. Plus, they put their corporate or political spin on everything, and they have to dramatize it for ratings!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
John Stewart is great. He hits on a lot of important issues, in a critical way, that MSM wouldn't touch.

Colbert, however... i cant watch that show. It makes me feel dumb.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Well, it IS a media poll taken by those who rely on Time magazine for news and entertainment.

Mr. Stewart IS an entertainer, no pretense. That's why he is well-liked. He doesn't have to pretend that the scripted material is anything other than it is..., scripted material.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

www.huffingtonpost.com

Well, in a result that he will probably accept as downright apocalyptic for America, The Daily Show's Jon Stewart has been selected, in an online poll conducted by Time Magazine, as America's Most Trusted Newscaster, post-Cronkite. Matched up against Brian Williams, Katie Couric and Charlie Gibson, Stewart prevailed with 44 percent of the vote.

we are all doomed.
Truly we are.

There are many here that will actually defend this... those who hear the funny and say "oh Jon you are soooo right" never realizing that Jon is actually 6 writers trying to make sure they have food on the table next week.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This is cool. This means the retarded conservative mindset (except financial) will soon go the way of the dinosaur.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Another defining moment in the never ending process of the dumbing down of America. Even though I can't stand Jon Stewart, this is a huge poke in the eye to the drive-by media!

The only thing I can say about online polls is that if we went by them Ron Paul would be President.

Remember when Jon Stewart used to by funny? Me neither!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
This is cool. This means the retarded conservative mindset (except financial) will soon go the way of the dinosaur.

The mindset you speak of has just spoken in the post immediately above this one.

Of course Stewart has a staff of writers...that is neither hear nor there.

Satire often speaks the truths no one wants to hear.

Remember when bush minor was selected the onion ran a headline that read:

Our long national nightmare of peace and prosperity is over

Given the events of the past eight years...they were right.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Sad, yes....but who is better?

maybe Anderson Cooper?

It should be one of those news reporters on youtube. At least they dont have that msm vibe to them...

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Stewart and Colbert's shows are nothing more than DNC propaganda meant to belittle their opposition, so I'm not surprised a TIME magazine poll showed that. The idea that people actually go to Stewart or TIME for news is even more disturbing. TIME is nothing more than a left wing propaganda rag these days.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gormly

www.huffingtonpost.com

we are all doomed.
Truly we are.

There are many here that will actually defend this... those who hear the funny and say "oh Jon you are soooo right" never realizing that Jon is actually 6 writers trying to make sure they have food on the table next week.

You're damn right i'm going to defend it. Jon Stewart is the closest thing to real news on tv right now, or for the past eight years. You get the news of the day, someone pointing out how incredibly lame and fake it all is, a good guest, important issues discussed, all in a half hour.

Give me one good reason to switch to CNN, FOX, or MSNBC instead. Just one.

Every time one of the big anchors goes after him, he hits back ten times harder, leaving them in a pile of dust.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wimbly

I suspect you are too blind to realize that Time is one of the more conservative news magazines out there and that Stewart mocks both parties.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
Stewart and Colbert's shows are nothing more than DNC propaganda meant to belittle their opposition, so I'm not surprised a TIME magazine poll showed that. The idea that people actually go to Stewart or TIME for news is even more disturbing. TIME is nothing more than a left wing propaganda rag these days.

Stewart rips on Obama all the time. Just because the "Republicans" give him more to work with doesn't mean it's propaganda. Jesus Christ, it was only six months ago that people were calling Republicans the devil.

I expect better from abovetopsecret. Really.

Republicrats. Democraticans. It's all the same beast once the door is shut. Open your eyes, Wimbly. Quit playing the game.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Wimbly

I suspect you are too blind to realize that Time is one of the more conservative news magazines out there and that Stewart mocks both parties.

Have you looked closely at the cover of Time Magazine lately?

The have "TIME" in huge letters and in small letters on the side of it they have "In Partnership with CNN."

"one of the more conservative news magazines"

Who's blind here?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thenothingorchid

Stewart rips on Obama all the time. Just because the "Republicans" give him more to work with doesn't mean it's propaganda. Jesus Christ, it was only six months ago that people were calling Republicans the devil.

No, not really. He might pic fun at Obama, but thats different than attacking policies or belittling political positions. Stewart is nothing more than an attack dog for the DNC.

Name one single Democrat/Obama policy that Stewart attacks.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Wimbly]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly

You obviously haven't seen how he tears into the Democrats on a rather frequent basis...

If you watched it, you might realize that your statement is itself hilarious

As an example, he tore into pelosi during her CIA debacle..

[edit on 23-7-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

As an example, he tore into pelosi during her CIA debacle..

First off I do watch both shows. Both he and Colbert spend the greater proportion of their show going after Republicans. Even though Democrats control the government.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wimbly

What he goes after is stupidity and ignorance... this is why he mocks the mainstream news.

So do you watch both shows everynight? If you do, and you think he s a shill, then why?

[edit on 23-7-2009 by HunkaHunka]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join