It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA and health experts warn against use of e-cigarettes (They can't be serious)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced Wednesday that laboratory tests on popular smoking devices known as electronic cigarettes have found they contain carcinogens and other toxic chemicals dangerous to humans.

Umm, errrr, are they serious? I hate to be a party pooper buuuut, don't CIGARETTS contain CARCINOGENS and other toxic chemicals???
Let's take a look at what goes into a cigarette shall we?

The following is a list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes submitted by the five major American cigarette companies to the Dept. of Health and Human Services in April of 1994.

Ehemmm,

Acetanisole
Acetic Acid
Acetoin
Acetophenone
6-Acetoxydihydrotheaspirane
2-Acetyl-3- Ethylpyrazine
2-Acetyl-5-Methylfuran
Acetylpyrazine
2-Acetylpyridine
3-Acetylpyridine
2-Acetylthiazole
Aconitic Acid
dl-Alanine
Alfalfa Extract
Allspice Extract,Oleoresin, and Oil
Allyl Hexanoate
Allyl Ionone
Almond Bitter Oil
Ambergris Tincture
Ammonia
Ammonium Bicarbonate
Ammonium Hydroxide
Ammonium Phosphate Dibasic
Ammonium Sulfide
Amyl Alcohol
Amyl Butyrate
Amyl Formate
Amyl Octanoate
alpha-Amylcinnamaldehyde
Amyris Oil
trans-Anethole
Angelica Root Extract, Oil and Seed Oil
Anise
Anise Star, Extract and Oils
Anisyl Acetate
Anisyl Alcohol
Anisyl Formate
Anisyl Phenylacetate
Apple Juice Concentrate, Extract, and Skins
Apricot Extract and Juice Concentrate
1-Arginine
Asafetida Fluid Extract And Oil
Ascorbic Acid
1-Asparagine Monohydrate
1-Aspartic Acid
Balsam Peru and Oil
Basil Oil
Bay Leaf, Oil and Sweet Oil
Beeswax White
Beet Juice Concentrate
Benzaldehyde
Benzaldehyde Glyceryl Acetal
Benzoic Acid, Benzoin
Benzoin Resin
Benzophenone
Benzyl Alcohol
Benzyl Benzoate
Benzyl Butyrate
Benzyl Cinnamate
Benzyl Propionate
Benzyl Salicylate
Bergamot Oil
Bisabolene
Black Currant Buds Absolute
Borneol
Bornyl Acetate
Buchu Leaf Oil
1,3-Butanediol
2,3-Butanedione
1-Butanol
2-Butanone
4(2-Butenylidene)-3,5,5-Trimethyl-2-Cyclohexen-1-One
Butter, Butter Esters, and Butter Oil
Butyl Acetate
Butyl Butyrate
Butyl Butyryl Lactate
Butyl Isovalerate
Butyl Phenylacetate
Butyl Undecylenate
3-Butylidenephthalide
Butyric Acid]
Cadinene
Caffeine
Calcium Carbonate
Camphene
Cananga Oil
Capsicum Oleoresin
Caramel Color
Caraway Oil
Carbon Dioxide
Cardamom Oleoresin, Extract, Seed Oil, and Powder
Carob Bean and Extract
beta-Carotene
Carrot Oil
Carvacrol
4-Carvomenthenol
1-Carvone
beta-Caryophyllene
beta-Caryophyllene Oxide
Cascarilla Oil and Bark Extract
Cassia Bark Oil
Cassie Absolute and Oil
Castoreum Extract, Tincture and Absolute
Cedar Leaf Oil
Cedarwood Oil Terpenes and Virginiana
Cedrol
Celery Seed Extract, Solid, Oil, And Oleoresin
Cellulose Fiber
Chamomile Flower Oil And Extract
Chicory Extract
Chocolate
Cinnamaldehyde
Cinnamic Acid
Cinnamon Leaf Oil, Bark Oil, and Extract
Cinnamyl Acetate
Cinnamyl Alcohol
Cinnamyl Cinnamate
Cinnamyl Isovalerate
Cinnamyl Propionate
Citral
Citric Acid
Citronella Oil
dl-Citronellol
Citronellyl Butyrate
itronellyl Isobutyrate
Civet Absolute
Clary Oil
Clover Tops, Red Solid Extract
Cocoa
Cocoa Shells, Extract, Distillate And Powder
Coconut Oil
Coffee
Cognac White and Green Oil
Copaiba Oil
Coriander Extract and Oil
Corn Oil
Corn Silk
Costus Root Oil
Cubeb Oil
Cuminaldehyde
para-Cymene
1-Cysteine

While these ingredients are approved as additives for foods, they were not tested by burning them, and it is the burning of many of these substances which changes their properties, often for the worse. Over 4000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette, many of which are toxic and/or carcinogenic. Carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen cyanide and ammonia are all present in cigarette smoke. Forty-three known carcinogens are in mainstream smoke, sidestream smoke, or both.

Now my question is a very niave one but very simple., why is it ok for us to kill ourselves with cigaretts but not with E-cigaretts?

CNN sourceCigarette source

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Jesus H Christ]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I smoke an e-cigarette at work and everyone has been sending me this article.
My reply was this:

Thanks for the article … Send them a piece of your steak from a bbq and let them see how many carcinogens are in that.
The fact is, there are carcinogens in almost every product we use or eat these days. These same people are happy to NOT ban normal cigarettes but all of a sudden e-cigs are evil.
Hmmmm…. I smell a conspiracy (and it stinks like hypocrisy):

In an effort to move beyond cigarettes, tobacco companies have introduced a number of smokeless products to keep smokers as buyers of other items. They are trying to convert smokers to products such as moist snuff, chewing tobacco and snus, teabag-like pouches that users stick between their cheek and gum. But that’s ok .. as long as the regular Big Tobacco companies are doing it … all is well with the world and our health.

The FDA is not exactly the most trusted of organizations:
FDA Approves Antidepressants for Children, Even After Revelations of Bribery
rinf.com...

FDA plans to reclassify all vitamins, supplements, herbs and juices as FDA-regulated drugs
www.newstarget.com...

FDA says viruses safe for treating meat www.usatoday.com...

Antidepressants Get Suicide Warning From FDA www.cbsnews.com...

FDA declares Cheerios a drug www.fda.gov...

[edit on 23/7/2009 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Thanks for the links.

I hope I am not missing something here. It is really so.....laughable to think that the FDA is concerned enough with our health to ban e-cigaretts but accidentally overlook.....CIGARETTS!!!!! as well as all of the crap that gets put into our food.lol. I wasn't sure if I was reading the article right when I read it the first time.lol.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
WOW, thats a long list of crap, that I can only assume that no, one person, knows what they all do to you. all I can say is I am glad I finally quit. I was gonna try the E- cig to help, but just went cold turkey...its been 8 weeks, and I am not looking back...I dont think they should mess with the e- cig...
unless they find something mor sinister than that long list of chemicals.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The FDA's commercial bias is so obvious.

I would think that in a world of actual public servants and a spirit of actually living up to their mandate they would have been torn down five times over already. But political appointees just don't seem to 'go there' now do they?

The FDA is not much more than an interface between career politicians and their most esteemed supporters.... Big Business.

It is, in a very real sense, criminal - considering they would kill us for a buck, and call it 'statistically inevitable.'

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Ok, so let me get this straight, the FDA decides to test products from 2 companies..
Only tests 18 carts and finds diethylene glycol, in low amounts(just how low they don't even say) in just 1 sample out of 18. Diethylene glycol, which is used in tobacco as a humectant, which is then burned and inhaled. Also used in fog machine juice, not all companies use it, but some do, which people then breathe in the fog, and that is ok, no regulations on it. I've read that (couldn't find the actual information to back it up so I don't know how true it is, I could be wrong if i am, my apologies) its found in FDA approved smoking cessation devices, but they are gonna throw a fit that its in ecigs? Hell I would much rather 1 or 2 of the cancer chems in my smokes then 4000.

With regard to thespecific humectants used in the treatment of tobacco, glycerine was the original humectant used but other compounds used for this purpose include diethylene glycol, triethylene glycol, propylene glycol, butylene glycol and sorbitol.

A tobacco treating arrangement ... is used to apply a solution of menthol in diethylene glycol to cut cigarette filler tobacco. A diethylene glycol solution containing 58.3 percent by weight menthol is sprayedonto a moving stream of cut tobacco through six air-atomizing spray nozzles at the rate of 9.20 grams of menthol/diethylene glycol solution per kilogram of tobacco.

Link to source

Why is it ok to have these in regular cigarettes and sell them, but not ok to have them in an electronic cigarette? If they only find 2 or 3, hell even if they found 10 or 20 carcinogens in an e-cig, compared to 4000 in a regular cigarette, That to me tells me they just proved it was a safer alternative to smoking the real ones.

Sure, I think there should be some regulations as to what can and cannot be in them, and they should be tested to make sure, but I don't think that its right to pull something genuinely safer then the widely available alternative. It really says a lot about the motives behind it.

If I could quit nicotine all together, I would... or if I could have a totally clean and safe cigarette that would be great.... but for now, I'll settle on 3,998 less chemicals with a way way way lower chance of fire.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mitskye

Thank you for your valuable input. I'm not quite sure what to make of all this. Is it just me or is this laughable hypocracy at its worst? It is almost like they are trying to have double standards. Do they think no one will notice the double standards? This is just soo blatant to me, it sticks out like a turd in a puch bowl.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Here is a crazy, biased article.

www.latimes.com...

Clearly, this article was written with the non-smoker in mind. I was looking into e-cigs because I heard it could help me kick this cigarette habit when someone informed me they saw on TV these e-cigs were dangerous. So I looked them up and I'm as stymied as you are why they are getting such a bad rap. Who's behind this nonsense? Oh and also that article mentions that they come in flavors that are appealing to children and adolescents. Like cigarette companies would never do that!

There is an interesting "comment" from the following article by joy160362. I don't know the validity of her message, but she says, "the FDA have had pressure put on them by a certain senator who is in receipt of a "donation" of over $250,000 from a pharmacy company which produces nicotine patches. A third party investigation into the FDAs handling of this has now begun."

www.independent.co.uk...

It would be interesting to find out if there is any truth to this.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
Now my question is a very niave one but very simple., why is it ok for us to kill ourselves with cigaretts but not with E-cigaretts?
[edit on 23-7-2009 by Jesus H Christ]

If I had to guess, it's probably something to do with taxes. Cigarettes are heavily taxed, and maybe the government take is much less, or even nothing, on E-cigarettes. It can't possibly be anything to do with health considerations, given that traditional cigarettes are readily available.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
It's very simple, folks. The makers of e-cigs are not the tobacco companies and likely have not contributed to any political campaigns.

The tobacco companies will have their paid minions in Congress and the FDA make these illegal if they can. Just as BigPharma fears true competition from Cannabis, BigTobacco fears true competition from the e-cig. This would seem to be a "Free Market" issue. Is it free or not?

The free market has NEVER existed, and it never will as long as corporations have all the rights of a person, but none of the accountability.

new topics

top topics

join