It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu: 100,000 New Cases Reported

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

100,000 now infected in uk.......

news.sky.com

One hundred thousand new cases of swine flu have been recorded in the last seven days.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod note: please use the exact title of the news story

[edit on 23-7-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Not much to say that hasn't already been said..... just read the article for latest news!

Oh... apparently i have to say something here or i can't post!

Ok.... Swine Flu is definately rampant right now in the UK..... double infected what is was last week..... there will be more deaths over the next few days!!

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I said in another post buts its breaking that 840 people are seriously ill and 63 in intensive care in england.Sorry,didn't see it was in the source
thats still a small proportion of people though,still worrying for them obviously.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
in other news, a few hundred people will die on the roads this week.

Also, normal flu is expected to kill a few thousand this year.

Al this, and more, once we've stopped trying to scare you into taking the vaccination.....

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

yep! definately looks like it's taking hold..... going by these calculations there will be 200,000 infected by this time next week..... then i think we will have to take this thing seriously!!! Especially if it's killing more and more

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

Al this, and more, once we've stopped trying to scare you into taking the vaccination.....

I'm not trying to provoke anything with this question! I've seen the statement "normal flu kills thousands every year" but where is the proof of that? I've never known anyone to get sick with the flu and then die. Can you give us a source for that statement?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
How is that possible when in the United States there are only 40,000 cases. According to the map at the cdc it is waning over here. Are you sure it is 100,000? I am going have to do some research. I thought the UK had less cases than the USA?
Even after reading the article it is hard to believe. Maybe they are quickly diagnosising people based on symptoms alone. If someone has pain or just tired that might be saying that they have the swine flu. I never believe just one source. Is there offical web sites for the UKs health department?
I am so confused as to the severity of the swine flu. Is it waning or getting worse? Is it waning in some areas and getting worse in others. Something about this whole thing never felt right to me.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by dreamseeker]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut

I'm not trying to provoke anything with this question! I've seen the statement "normal flu kills thousands every year" but where is the proof of that? I've never known anyone to get sick with the flu and then die. Can you give us a source for that statement?
Certainly!

I'll leave it to you to pick your source of information (as opposed to just linking to something that backs up what I've said) But here's a google search page for "normal flu kills thousands"

For some reason, the link won't go in, even via the url boxy bit
www.google.co.uk...:en-GB
fficial&client=firefox-a

[edit on 23/7/2009 by Acidtastic]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
How is that possible when in the United States there are only 40,000 cases. According to the map at the cdc it is waning over here. Are you sure it is 100,000? I am going have to do some research. I thought the UK had less cases than the USA?

It's 100,000 recorded cases in the past 7 days i believe.And most are children under 14.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Its not about deaths, its about people off work, crippling the economy even worse, 1 in 3 people to get sick, who will work in food stores? Petrol stations? The people with serious diseases in hospitals, 800+ extra beds will be needed. Wheres the space.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut

I have to think the number of normal, healthy people that die of flu are pretty small. I read an article saying that some flu death statistics include people on their death bed already, barely hanging on to life, who happen to catch the flu and that pushes them over the edge to die.

If they were about to die already anyway, was it really the flu that killed them? It was the straw that broke the camel's back so you could argue yes, but you could also argue no. I'm very wary of flu death statistics for this reason.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

QUICK!! EVERYONE GET THEIR VACCINES!!

Regular Flu thus far is still a hundred thousand times more lethal.

When I get sick and bed ridden from this Mexican Flu, then I may consider a vaccine next year. Until then, I need to see some high casualties before I give Mexican Flu another thought.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

The 100 000 cases are in England, not the Whole UK. Thought I would point this out.

The number of new cases of swine flu in the past week has reached an estimated 100,000 and is mainly affecting the under 14s, the government says.

The figure for England is double the total of the previous week and comes as the Department of Health prepares to launch the National Flu Service.

The worst of the outbreak is meant to be over in Scotland.

Scotland may have seen the worst of the current phase of the swine flu pandemic, according to a leading expert on infection outbreaks.

Professor Hugh Pennington, of Aberdeen University, also warned against fast-tracking a vaccine, before all the data has been properly analysed.

BBC Scotland

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I found swine flu to be comparable to normal, seasonal flu, in intensity. I speak from personal experience. It actually might be far more prevalent than thought - few people get tested for it - the most it can usually become is "suspected".

[edit on 23/7/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Following the link you provided, here is one source that speaks about regular flu.

Worldwide, the annual death toll from the flu is estimated to be between 250,000 and 500,000.
link

About 9 out of 10 of those deaths are among people older than 65, Currie said. Most times, they already have health problems that the flu makes worse, he said.

So its not the "regular flu" that kills them. The regular flu ADDS to their pre-existing conditions, weakening their systems which then become a factor in their deaths.

I'm really tired of people saying the regular flu kills hundreds of thousands without qualifying the statement with the fact that most of those deaths were not flu deaths. Flu is a contributing factor to death in already ill people (mostly over 65).

Thanks for the attempt though.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Really? I thought it was the UK! So 100,000 in England? Wow! Mind you the prediction was 100,000 by August..... still in July so it's a little early....

HOLD ON...... I JUST HEARD IT IS THE UK!

HERE IS LIVE NEWS LINK RADIO:

news.sky.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Maybe in a smaller Country it will spread quicker... ever thought of that.... close knit commuinties will contract a disease quicker than those who live in a huge community!!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Now this makes sense. The Uk is small and more close knit. The USA is more spread out. That is why New York was hit harder than Missouri. We only had 70 cases here. We are more spread out though.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

And yet, the biggest victims of Swine Flu are the youth and adolescent. Seasonal flu is lethal among the elderly.

Of course, researching these basic facts is difficult for the paranoid

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I'm really tired of people saying the regular flu kills hundreds of thousands without qualifying the statement with the fact that most of those deaths were not flu deaths. Flu is a contributing factor to death in already ill people (mostly over 65).

Same applies with Swine Flu, and in any case, seasonal flu "contributes" to more deaths than swine flu. Additionally, the DOHS in Australia considers Swine flu to be less virulent than seasonal flu.

[edit on 23/7/2009 by C0bzz]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join