It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism is Dead and Gone!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by andersensrm
reply to post by beezzer

You misunderstood, I said that there can be a world without racism. You say it will never happen, I argued. I never said that racism was gone, and I have no idea where you got that from.

Kay. Then my counter would be that there will always be a bias.

Height.
Hair colour?
Eye colour?
Nose shape?
Ear lobe length?

People will always find something to differentiate. It's not necessarily bad, just the way we're wired.

Sure, but we won't always use that differentiation to oppose each other.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Wow!! A resurrected old thread, and more responses today than when I originally posted it and the story was hot in the press.

Thanks everybody for participating.

It is always nice to go back and re-read, and especially when I can re-read and still agree with myself.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
You say keep the discussion civil but the title alone is meant to provoke an inflammatory response. So I will somewhat gratify your request although I am angry plus its been a long day. So I will be characteristically blunt and truthful.

One small incident in the history of America shows little about racism. Lets see how many white men are beaten or choked to near death by police. That disposition is almost specifically reserved for black males. Police citizen review boards were started in the 90's to deal with the high number of questionable killings of young black males. In many cases there have been criminal prosecution as well as civil prosecution. Johnny Gamage, Jordan Miles, Amadu Dialo and others and I know only a few of the top of my head there are only 5 cities that I know of with review boards which there are records.

I'm going to tell you a secret. You can't hide racism. Ask your African American friends. When a black man or woman reaches around 25 yrs old and encounters a racist they know immediately, this is from dealing with so many over the course of a lifetime. The behavior patterns and body language is obvious. Racists are still out there.

The good news: Affirmative Action has and is working. There are alot less racists today than say in the 80's. Back then I remember dealing with them 2-3 times a week. In 2012 its once a month or so.

The bad news: Even if racisim was dead and buried the people that run things still run things as they have throught history and they have 100 hot button issues the are 50/50 and people can't unite. A movement like Occupy comes along and there young and need guidance but the people who should be guiding are busy mocking them saying how stupid and lazy they are. The truth is they are apathetic to our rulers, the baby boomers are who sold out to the corporate Gods and got us here. Then they talk as if the hippies were/are the problem. Still voting still praying knowing in their heart every president since Kennedy was a puppet and God can't save them from the hell we created.

The truth is almost everything you were ever told was a lie and the system was made broken its not meant to be fixed.
edit on 17-2-2012 by ISHAMAGI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ISHAMAGI

Yeap pretty much..... So what do we do? Not to direct that question at you, but to everyone. Our system is broken, and we can't fix it working through the system. So what do we do?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ISHAMAGI

I'm going to tell you a secret. You can't hide racism. Ask your African American friends. When a black man or woman reaches around 25 yrs old and encounters a racist they know immediately, this is from dealing with so many over the course of a lifetime. The behavior patterns and body language is obvious. Racists are still out there.

I would contend that it is better if it isn't hidden, but I disagree with your take. Those that you assume are racists are probably not. They might be naive, they might be afraid, they might even be uncomfortable, but they don't necessarily "hate." The ones that hate are much sneakier about it, and you would never know.

Now, you don't have to take my word for it, but I do have a unique perspective. I was raised in an all white town, I didn't even meet a black person until I was 16 years old. There were tons of jokes and slurs and pet names tossed about, but it was out of naivety not hate. When people I knew actually met a black person, like the first black friend I brought home, or the first black girl I dated, the people were very welcoming and embracing, even if they did use the n-word from time to time out of habit.

Now, contrast that to where I live now, where the town is majority black. Nobody here would ever dream of saying anything inappropriate, and people mind their political correctness, and they make sure to smile and nod, and as soon as it is only white folks left together, some of them are quick to say very degrading and hateful things. There are certain gestures, such as touching their hand lightly with a finger with an inquisitive look to ask if someone is "colored" or not. There are many things that happen here, among professional and educated people that really turn my stomach.

So, yes, some people are still racist, and they are probably the ones you least expect, and that type of racism is not dead and gone, and probably never will be.

But, the disparity in wages, and opportunities, and leadership are drastically improved! Almost to the point of being wiped out! Just recently Newt Gingrich was called racist for calling Obama the Welfare President, but in reality there are more white people on welfare than black! Times are a changing!

And, also, keep in mind, this thread was from almost 3 years ago!

I don't want my post to get too lengthy, but I would also LOVE to debate the points that white people who so quickly assume racism are themselves racist for assuming the black race needs their defense of it. OR the points that simply noticing one's race, and identifying them by race, and even making snap stereotypical judgements based on race are hard-wired into us, and important survival instincts that cannot, and should not be completely erased. We have to rely on first-impressions to a certain extent, and then we have to investigate with an open mind and move on from there.
edit on 17-2-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join