It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

liquorice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I have just bought some liquorice seeds to grow next year,i know you use the roots but according to the web they are a legume, so can you eat pods or seeds??

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
www.ibiblio.org...

I would say just eat the root.

www.uni-graz.at...

There are some helpful links

Just because it's a legume doesn't mean that it's edible.

[edit on 7/24/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I would be very careful and research fully before eating anything but the root. Just from one of the links raven provided:

Very young growth can be poisonous to animals[212].

and then from the very same link:

The tender young shoots can be eaten raw in the spring[183, 257].

But this doesn't seem controversial:

Root - raw or cooked[2, 46, 61, 203]. Long, sweet and fleshy[105], when slow roasted they are said to taste like sweet potatoes[183, 207]. They can be used as a flavouring in other foods and can also be chewed raw as a masticatory[177, 183, 212], making an excellent tooth cleaner and also very good for teething children. The root contains 6% glycyrrhizin, a substance that is 50 times sweeter than sugar[183].

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Thanks to ravenshadow and Iam only human, it seems we can only use the roots,so will not try to use anything else .Which i probably would have done.........That's if i can get the seeds to grow!!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by illece

Actually later tonight I can check my edible plants book for you, it's much more detailed. I'll have another response in a few hours.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
So, to my surprise, my edible plants book does not include licorice.

I would say be very careful. But you could plant fennel- a veggie that tastes kind of like licorice.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Once again thanks , i think i may very well try fennel instead...at least i know that is safe!!!

new topics

top topics

join