It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel missile defense system fails to launch in U.S. test

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Israel missile defense system fails to launch in U.S. test

haaretz.com

Israel's Arrow II missile defense system was tested at a U.S. range off the California coast early Thursday morning but problems prevented the launch of the system's interceptor, the Pentagon said.

Partly underwritten by Washington, Arrow is designed to defend Israel from missile attacks from Syria and Iran, which Western nations suspect of seeking nuclear arms despite its denials.

In a test involving three U.S. missile interceptors, Arrow tracked a target missile dropped from a C-17 aircraft The Israeli system also exchanged data on the target in real-time with elements of the U.S. m
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
This is a major setback for Israel... their precious anti-missile test... a complete failure...

Here's an analysis from Haaretz...
ANALYSIS / Iran can rejoice at failure of Israel's missile defense

Now Israel have several choices...

- Delay the attack on Iran (oh no! peace...) until the missile shield is working.
- The second test will take place shortly and it will be successful.
- Due to the failure of the test, a new plan for an attack on Iran needs to include US military assistance.
- Israel will have to use overwhelming force, possibly nukes, to take out Iranian missiles bases before they are launched.
- Let Iran have the bomb (in the case they are really developping...which they are likely not)

haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I dont think as the OP says that this missile test has anything to do with the 'plan' to attack Iran. Israel is just testing this missile and if Israel really wanted to attack Iran then it does not have to have this missile, it can attack Iran anytime, but Iran will respond with a nuclear bomb

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

if Israel really wanted to attack Iran then it does not have to have this missile,

Of course they ``don't need it`` but it sure would be better... if it can save lives... And stopping missiles would allow the political leaders in Israel to be blamed for losses of lives.

but Iran will respond with a nuclear bomb

Yeah how can they do that when they don't have a nuke? If they do have one, they haven't tested it. And launching a non-tested nuke is very dangerous IMO.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

This is a major setback for Israel... their precious anti-missile test... a complete failure...

You do realize that the Arrow II system has been fully tested before in Israel successfully numerous times dont you ? In fact the Arrow II has been fully operational for nearly 10 years now! Please try to contain your disappointment!

In fact the Arrow II system has even had a significant advanced upgrade which was tested in 2003 and 2004 with great success and plans are actually underway to being work on the Arrow 3 system with American X band Radars.

Any problems now would be problems in integrating the Israeli technology with American systems because the Israeli system is perfectly function.
In fact Israel has had total anti-missile shield for nearly 2 decades now.

In all likelyhood this latest test was merely the tests of a new Arrow missile defense system being developed possible the Arrow 3. For the kind of missiles Iran has even the Arrow 1 would be more than sufficient. Iran and the other Israel haters has absolutely no logical reason to rejoice because as always any failures are merely the stepping stones to success!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
My understanding is the missile would have launched if permitted.
But the range safety officer used his abort key because the aircraft that launched the target was not a safe distance away.

It had nothing to do with the arrow missile system but was a unsafe condition on the range.

This information i got from a observer from China Lake that was there for the test.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

You do realize that the Arrow II system has been fully tested before in Israel successfully numerous times dont you ? In fact the Arrow II has been fully operational for nearly 10 years now! Please try to contain your disappointment!

Maybe against low tech missiles... but not Shabab-3 or Fajil-2...the new solid-fuel missile.

Also, from Debka...
Arrow II fails takeoff in Pacific test - setback for Israel's missile race with Iran

Thursday, July 23, the newly upgraded Arrow II missile defense system, poised for its first long-range test at the US Pacific range off the central California coast, could not be launched because of "interceptor problems."

This left Israel's key defense system, designed to intercept long-range Iranian or Syrian missiles 1,000 kilometers from their launch point, unproven.

As a said, they could retest it and it could work... And in my first reply I said that if Israel strikes Iran, it would be better to have the missile shield because it would save lives... I don't care if those lives are Iranian or Israeli...I want peace. Iran are not developping nukes and even if they are, according to estimates, they are far from it. And leave the iranian people take care of their own destiny, they look like they gonna be able to take care of those scum in Tehran.

EDIT: Thanks ANNON for your info... we'll see if it is proven right..

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Maybe against low tech missiles... but not Shabab-3 or Fajil-2...the new solid-fuel missile.

Low tech ? Are you under the assumption that the Iranians have some GPS guided MIRVs ?? No. Their missiles are in fact very inferior and comparable to SCUDs .
The type of propellant doesnt really matter when it comes down to sophistication. While sold fueled missiles are safer to store and transport, they do not add any greater complexity to counter.

Also, from Debka...
Arrow II fails takeoff in Pacific test - setback for Israel's missile race with Iran

Thursday, July 23, the newly upgraded Arrow II missile defense system, poised for its first long-range test at the US Pacific range off the central California coast, could not be launched because of "interceptor problems."

This left Israel's key defense system, designed to intercept long-range Iranian or Syrian missiles 1,000 kilometers from their launch point, unproven.

Actually, Debka File is quite ridiculous here comparing Iran's missile program with Israels. The Jericho III and Shahab systems are decades apart in terms of technology and payload . This test is all probability is the development of some new system because the Arrow II has been rigorously tested and validated.

In fact the Arrow II system is so robust that the Indians developed their missile shield program using Israeli Green Pine radars that were used for tracking in the Arrow II system.

Most recently there were news reports about an US-Israeli collaboration on the Arrow III system.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
must be typical american junk - fails to launch and BOOM thats another (NKJ/Iranian/Russian/Australian - delete as appropraite) rogue nation NUKE landing! millions dead! OMG!!!11

or , anothre day in the life of a new system working out the `kinks` - but sadly all the BS (like the statement above) wa rampant when used to describe the test failure of the russian kit.

tests are just that - to see if something works , if it does? great carry on - if not , change something to try and fix it.

this test is for the latest ARROW-2 block4 , which , has had alot of problems since inception , only 1 succesfull test launch since 2008

arrow was first deployed at the Palmachim Airbase March 14th 2000.

so no its not 10 years old

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
must be typical american junk - fails to launch and BOOM thats another (NKJ/Iranian/Russian/Australian - delete as appropraite) rogue nation NUKE landing! millions dead! OMG!!!11

Australia is a rogue nation? At what year did you drop out of the education system to group Aussies with NK, Iran and Russia?

Out of interest... what country are you from?

IRM

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Why does America need to pay for this nonsense?

If Israel stopped all it's war mongering and human rights violations and anti-Islamic rehtoric and propoganda it wouldn't need a missle shield if they just joined the human race and made restitution to the Palestinians and returned all the stolen occupied lands.

I really don't think any other nation's defense but America is worth American taxpayer dollars.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

its called SARCASM - go read up what it means.....

apparantly you left education way before i did.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

apparantly you left education way before i did.

Apparently I didn't!

IRM

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

im glad you saw the irony in my sardonic post.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   

this test is for the latest ARROW-2 block4 , which , has had alot of problems since inception , only 1 succesfull test launch since 2008

arrow was first deployed at the Palmachim Airbase March 14th 2000.

so no its not 10 years old

Please try and at least stay abreast of current developments if you cant bother with all the facts while making such ignorant declarations!

On November 29, 1998. Israel Aerospace Industries delivered the first operational Arrow 2 interceptor to the Israeli Ministry of Defense. link

The Arrow II Block 4 with the X band radar was also successfully tested on April 7, 2009 . If you claim this to be the Arrow II Block 4 test then clearly, it could only have been tested after the initial Blocks 1-3 were tested sucessfully and after the original Arrow II system was developed!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

please pretend that your not ignorant and read the israel MOD website:

www.mod.gov.il...

MLM delivered the first operational Arrow 2 interceptor to the IMDO

thats the Israel Missile Defense Organization - a government department and not a deployed military unit as that occurred in march 14th 2000 when the system was accepted at IOC at the airbase i allready mentioned.

[edit on 25/7/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Why does America need to pay for this nonsense?

If Israel stopped all it's war mongering and human rights violations and anti-Islamic rehtoric and propoganda it wouldn't need a missle shield if they just joined the human race and made restitution to the Palestinians and returned all the stolen occupied lands.

I really don't think any other nation's defense but America is worth American taxpayer dollars.

Off topic but you make two points. The first if American tax dollars should be used to help our alleis and second what Israel should do.

I find both points naive.

It is BECAUSE of American tax dollars helping out our allies that we were able to support Britian and France during WW2 . And it is because of American tax dollars that the Cold war ended with the collapse of East Germany and not the West.

As for Israel pissing away its country just to placate the barbarians at its gates; surrender is not a path to victory and peace at all costs is just synonymous with defeat and failure. Your argument is also applicable to the other side if the Arabs were to stop the human rights violations, their war mongering, their anti-Semetic rhetoric and propaganda. Why not ask the same from all sides instead of projecting your biases with your expectations?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

thats the Israel Missile Defense Organization - a government department and not a deployed military unit as that occurred in march 14th 2000 when the system was accepted at IOC.

The Arrow II system was validated and delivered for use in 1998. That implies that the Arrow II was ready by 1998 and THAT makes it 10 years old as was the point of my quote.

When it was deployed by units and when they had a roll out parade are irrelevant as to its age. And if you want to be specific as to its unit deployment, the Arrow II anti-ballistic missile system was first declared operational by the Israeli Air Defense Network in mid-October 2000.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
no the unit was delivered to the government testing as a production ready missile in 1998 , it was accepted into service till 2000

next year the first production F35 will be made - does that mean thats when its ready? no - the first in service F35 will not occur for a few years after that.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

Thanks for all the droll dribble and propoganda. Hey will it make a nice Christmas Gift for someone I don't like?

What I think is that like most Israeli made weapons the missle is a piece of junk and the reports of it being tested sucessfully elsewhere are a piece of junk too, and all propoganda.

America shouldn't be paying for this stuff and people who aren't American shouldn't go running around on the Internet pretending that they are!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join