It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alert! YouTube Changes Statistics & Data: Eliminates 99% of External Links

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I discovered this just today as I went to check on a couple of videos I had referenced in posts I made here.

I don't know when it was changed, but it happened in the last couple of days. So very recently. The censorship escalates. Now when you click on any video's Statistics & Data, up comes what appears at first glance to be a "new and improved" version of stats & links. There is a fancy graph, appearing to show more information than the previous version, which listed the top 5 actual url's of websites linking to the video.

But no more. Now what you get is 99% all internal YouTube links, with the stats reflecting how these various internal links have played a part in bringing the hits to the video. :shk:

So what they have done in effect is censor every single outside website from trackback links. After reviewing many different videos across multiple subjects, the case remains the same. In all those I checked, I saw one link to an external site which was a link to a myspace bulletin. All the rest are internal YouTube links now!

I swear, these people really think we are idiots, and think that we won't realize the obvious. They do not want to provide any external links to the myriad of controversial subject websites that feed the YouTube monster any longer. So now while you post a youtube video, driving traffic to their site, they have refused to provide a trackback link to the top five referring sites. How's that for gratitude?

Instead we get some useless internal statistical data, which does nothing other than show more censorship of internet, and inhibits even further the spreading of the truth- by not providing you any longer with the very links, and views that show what website these hits are coming from.

This is flat out ridiculous! And my bet is it is another CIA-FBI-DHS scheme intended to further silence the truth.

Here, to make this simple just click this link to a random video. I am not going to embed it purposefully, because what I want you to do is click on statistics & data, and see for yourself the links that come up!

www.youtube.com...

Go ahead, try it with any other video there!

[edit on Thu Jul 23rd 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
OMG, youtube you are soooo fricken busted! You guys know what they just did?

In a lame smear attempt, and to poke fun at me for posting this (I guess? Or to try to prove me wrong?), they just changed one link back to ATS. OMFG. Check the video link in my own signature! ROFL!

:shk:

Gee, I'm flattered, youtube. NOT. So which of you CIA shills called up yer pal at NoobTube and told them to do that? Cute. Real cute that was.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
[edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

Hey great response!

Can anybody think of any other good reason why youtube would want to bite the hands that feed them, so to speak, like this?

[edit on Thu Jul 23rd 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Hi TrueAmerican/

Um...

I thought this was funny!
So, thanks for the laugh and smile.

It's good to see,
Im not the only one that's crazy!

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I actually had a question but found the answer myself, thank you very much...

PEACE!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

at least they still let you post link in the description fields

free sometimes comes with a small price?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
So what they have done in effect is censor every single outside website from trackback links. After reviewing many different videos across multiple subjects, the case remains the same. In all those I checked, I saw one link to an external site which was a link to a myspace bulletin. All the rest are internal YouTube links now!

I swear, these people really think we are idiots, and think that we won't realize the obvious. They do not want to provide any external links to the myriad of controversial subject websites that feed the YouTube monster any longer. So now while you post a youtube video, driving traffic to their site, they have refused to provide a trackback link to the top five referring sites. How's that for gratitude?

Youtube is a business. They aren't paid for by tax dollars and can do with their service whatever they want. You can read about the abuse of the system they've experienced and the legal problems they've had for being wide open and generous. Users linking to them created problems including system overloads.

Start a competing source and run it the way you want. Expect to put out a few hundred million dollars with no guarantee of seeing any return.

Mike

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

True, but this still news. And news I discovered myself I might add. So maybe this should be on the ATS news portal?

In any case, I have to seriously question what they hope to gain by this, and I am obviously very suspicious of the move. It reeks of sinister motives. Think of if ATS decided the same thing, to eliminate all external links to other sites... I'd be just as suspicious.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

this still news. And news I discovered myself I might add. So maybe this should be on the ATS news portal?

In any case, I have to seriously question what they hope to gain by this, and I am obviously very suspicious of the move. It reeks of sinister motives. Think of if ATS decided the same thing, to eliminate all external links to other sites... I'd be just as suspicious.

i only heard about the specifics in a conversation with a lawyer friend. There are pending lawsuits from a couple sources that essentially would put Youtube out of business in days if they proceed successfully. Judges can put cease and desist orders on claims while they're still being investigated.

The surmise is rather than have to check on thousands of uncertain status links Youtube killed them all. They'd have to spend millions and months clearing certain rights on what's up, and then there'd be no control of what was being added.

Essentially copyright and trademark holders consider them to be infringing and having a negative effect on revenues for them. And it is true to in many cases.

Youtube will have to go the route of copyright respect.

The free ride for everyone is over.

Mike

[edit on 24-7-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael
The surmise is rather have to check on thousands of uncertain status links Youtube killed them all.

Oh? Then it is all the more interesting then that they would choose to leave an ATS link up as one of the 1% or less to be checked on.
What's up with that?

Check the video in my sig, and click on statistics and data.

But thanks, that was an informative post. Star for joo even.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael
The surmise is rather have to check on thousands of uncertain status links Youtube killed them all.

Oh? Then it is all the more interesting then that they would choose to leave an ATS link up as one of the 1% or less to be checked on.
What's up with that?

Check the video in my sig, and click on statistics and data.

But thanks, that was an informative post. Star for joo even.

"joo" ?

I forgot to add there has been a problem with too many links overloading their system causing crashes.

My guess is the Michael Jackson people got onto Youtube heavily with millions of his vidoes being carried and downloaded this month.

Good chance they killed everything for a period, or closed down linking, and are putting stuff back up if it's considered non-contentious.

M

new topics

top topics

join