It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why did the moon disapear?! :o

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
hey everyone i live in australia , gold coast and i was looking at the moon and only like 2% was visible the rest was the moon but like transparent , as if it was an eclipse :| i know there was one in asia like yesterday. Anyway i looked at it every 5 mins and eventually it disapeared :|

anyone got any ideas as to why it did

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Well, isn't it just past the new moon phase right now?

That'd mean only a slight bit of it would be visible anywhere around.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by piero

Maybe a cloud past in front of it?

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Scooby Doo]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I turn it off at nights to conserve energy

It's a shame I have to do it, cos it's a pretty little thing, but to be honest, we've got to replace it with an energy saving moon.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
lol wut
The moon was recently invisible pretty much the last couple of days. It is now starting to begin new, and so it looks like only a tiny bit at the moment.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by piero

Exactly what time were you looking at the moon when it looked like that?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
I turn it off at nights to conserve energy

It's a shame I have to do it, cos it's a pretty little thing, but to be honest, we've got to replace it with an energy saving moon.

If you'd only switch from those damn incandescent bulbs, you could leave the bugger on all night. Gore would be so disappointed with you!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The Moon just passed the "New Moon" phase on July 22 (yesterday). here's what it would have looked like on the 23rd:

"Young" Moon

I'm not 100% sure why it would have disappeared from your view, but here's a theory:
The young moon is always very close to the sun, and is thus only visible low on the horizon at sunset (it is drowned out by the bright Sun during the bright daylight). Objects along the horizon, such as stars, are always harder to see because we are viewing them through more atmosphere (we are looking at them from a side view through more atmosphere than if we "looked up") -- and more atmosphere means more haze.

That's why the sunset is red -- because we are viewing the sun through more atmospheric haze, and that may be why the young moon disappeared from view as it got closer to the horizon...

...it may have literally "vanished in the haze".

[edit on 7/23/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

top topics

join