It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did Obama win?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
What're you talking about?

And I voted for Obama in the Primary because I had hope in him and agreed with him. I made that point clear already.

No. You said you voted for the man because he was "charming" and could speak better than Bush. Nowhere in your OP there did you say you voted for him on his policies so please cut the cr*p. Because you made a poor decision in not voting for somebody policy wise everybody else who voted for him "must have done the same thing". Its amazing howmuch you generalize those who voted the man him.

You talk about the fact that race shouldnt matter, that we should vote somebody based on color, that may true when applied to some supporters either Obama or McCain, but it shouldnt be applied to everybody. You yourself here are injecting race in the matter by now implicating every individual into voting that man for that reason. Are you helping to end racism? Generalizations?

The OP is not a blame game. It's to show the hypocrisy of those who demand equality but voted and supported Obama based on his skin color.

"Those"? Your OP leads to the reader into thinking this was the only reason this Obama got in. You implicated yourself in that reasoning as some "evidence" of that, and yet here you are telling us about hypocrisy and racism. Are you helping racism by making the statement that thats the only reason he got elected? Thats the only reason people voted him in? Seems to me like your making circles for yourself.

And like I said, I did NOT vote in the November election. I did NOT vote for Obama OR McCain.

That doesnt matter, you clearly indicated to use that you voted for Obama in the primaries and what your intentions were. You used that as evidence in the reasoning that this is why "Obama got in". Really now. You generalize every voter of Obama in the category and then you have the nerve to talk about "racism" and the "hypocrisy". Your thread title clearly says "why did Obama win". It just amazes me how low some of you will go.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by strum828

Hopefully you're right, I'd love to see a non Party leader.

Still think Ron Paul (even though he is part of the Republican Party) would've been a great president. At least he has balls and tells the truth. But I forgot, this country doesn't like truth. We love false hope instead.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Sounds like someone needs a hug.

It's alright. I know why I voted for Obama against Hilary. So I have no crap to cut, but sounds like you have some crap to release. Eat more fiber.

It amazes me how some people enjoy trying to start senseless fights on here. C'mon now, it's the internet. Calm down, cereal man!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Wow first I have to say, I have been putting it off and putting it off but I have got to got to got to try me a glass of that Kool Aide some day...between the crazy stuff people do while drinking it (like electing a guy without any credible experience at all in law making or administrating) the withdrawals sure do make it seem like it's one potent brew!

Second...there really should be a 12 Step Program for people kicking the Kool Aide Habit, they should all have 'Political' Sponsors to help them make more reasoned and informed decisions.

Third...the problem is not Obama, the problem is the electoral system, which is entirely hostage to big money and big media and big corporate interests.

Fourth...read a good book about Keith Moon of the Who or Led Zepellin on tour and grab your TV and just chuck it out the window, once you get that out of your life learning and discovering what really is going on in the world gets a whole lot easier.

Remember take it one day at a time now...the Kool Aide drinkers should have pins...1 month since you believed in Obama, 3 months, a year etc., etc.

Remember no one kicks these kinds of habits alone!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Hey, I didn't want him in, lol.

I get sh*t this very day from friends for bashing Obama.

BTW---Don't you know? All the cool kids are drinking Kool Aid.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Except for Southern Guardian this is clearly an Obama-bashing thread, so I'm probably wasting my time to post. But here goes.

I voted for Obama because of his policies. He's a classic liberal in the mould of FDR and JFK and even Truman and LBJ. He is steering the country in the right direction. I voted Democratic and he has not disappointed me. He is making progress on most of his promises. No, he's not getting out of Iraq as soon as I would like but he's doing it as quickly as it is feasible to do so without leaving the country in a state of civil war. And the trillions of stimulus was necessary after the economy was wrecked by unscrupulous business men on Wall Street and the Republican party. The stimulus is not providing jobs as quickly as many would like but it is working.

Of course he can't change the course of American history in seven months. And of course he won't be able to accomplish everything he wants to do because Republicans and other retrogressive forces will interfere and he will have to compromise. Presidents don't govern by royal decree, they have to work with Congress, big business and other large segments of the population. He has compromised less than any president I have seen in my lifetime but he has, and will continue, to make compromises where they are necessary to get even part of his plans accomplished.

In short, he's the best president I have seen in my lifetime. Progressives are generally happy with him.

I definitely did not vote for him because of his color, although it was not an issue for me. Of course it's historic when the first black man is elected president. It has never happened before and that makes his election unique, just as Hillary Clinton's election would have been unique because she is a woman. There is no reasonable way to deny that.

We need to have a serious and mature discussion of race and race relations in this country. Racial tensions cannot be solved by pretending they don't exist or pretending that a person's race--white or otherwise--doesn't have an influence on their perceptions and behavior.

Racial tensions are evident on this thread. It is not racist to point that out.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I forgive you.

I really believe many voted for him because he was the latest fad. Others voted for him because they only vote the party. And many more voted for him because they were tired of Bush and the Republican party.

But nonetheless, he won. IMO, skin color played a limited role.

And others voted for him because the economy tanked "on the Republican's watch."

No matter how much politicians can't stimulate an economy, people still vote based on the state of the economy.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join