It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military bomb practice burns dozens of homes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Military bomb practice burns dozens of homes

www.news.com.au

MILITARY bombing practice has caused one of France's worst fires for three years which continues to rage on the eastern outskirts of Marseille.

The fire has burnt dozens of homes but claimed no victims.

The wildfire was caused by military practice shelling which hit the eastern Trois-Ponts suburb of the southern city forcing the evacuation of scores of residents.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Idiots. Military intelligence decides to practise some bombing drills with unfavourable weather conditions.

Could we expect any better from any military?

Regional prefect Michel Sappin confirmed that the blaze had been started by the shelling, lashing out at the "imbecilic" action that had led to "an annoying and serious" situation in a zone close to a city and saying he was "exasperated".

In such weather conditions, with high winds, the army should refrain from carrying out shelling practice, he said.

That would be the common sense thing to think about.

Is there anyone from Marseille reading? What's the local news saying about these tools starting the fires?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

....yeah.

You can expect better.

In the US military, we have what are called "ranges" where no houses are nearby. That's where our munitions fall.

I'm not really sure how they made such a huge SNAFU like that, but it is regrettable.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Carpiagne is home to a French tank regiment and by the looks of it on Google maps, it does actually have a range for firing as well as an area for maneuvers.

Link to map

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Here you go, I found a few articles by searching on the French Google
news.google.fr... and entering the terms "France militaires feux"

Les flammes s'attaquent à Marseille
here's link to original French version
www.leparisien.fr...

and here's the translation (via google)

In Marseille, firemen and marine brigade were preparing Wednesday to fight all night to contain one of the biggest fires in France for three years. The fire that has already traveled 1 000 hectares without being controlled, fanned by a strong wind from south-east.

To 23 hours, 1 000 hectares of scrubland had gone up in smoke.

The marine brigade from Marseilles had indicated that a few dozen homes had burned in the fire Wednesday in the east of Marseilles came back on this review in the night of Wednesday to Thursday, indicating that they had only been "licked by the flames. " A little later, the officer indicated that a specific point on the number of houses burned could be established that Thursday morning. "There was conflicting information on the number of homes destroyed because of lack of visibility," he said referring, above the PC brigade, the hill of Nereides devastated by the flames and invaded by the smoke, in neighborhoods east of the city.

The fire was triggered at 13 h 34 in military camp Carpiagne, located above the Creeks after a meeting of fire with tracer bullets

The progression of the fire was accelerated by the wind. At 22 hours, 6 Canadair, 3 helicopters, water bombers and a Dash 8, engaged until dusk, no longer in action.

"Ensuring the safety of persons"

Consistent ways have been concentrated on this sector. Some 440 men and 90 vehicles are engaged in the fight against fire, belonging to the marine battalion brigade of Marseille, the fire department service and relief of the Bouches-du-Rhone, Var and Vaucluse and the posting of intervention of the helicopter unit of civil security of Brignoles.

"Security forces have also been mobilized to ensure the safety of people," said the prefecture, as a precaution four houses were evacuated in the area of the cross-Sainte-Eugénie and the Traverse Pioneer in south-east of Marseilles.

Residents desperate

To 21 hours, pushed by the wind, the fire was on the doorstep of residents of the Three Bridges. Residents began to evacuate their homes before an official order would ask them to leave.

In the Rue des Trois Ponts, the excitement rises, people fearing for their homes, and critics fusent against the military at the origin of the fire. The area is steeped in a thick dark smoke. The house burned down, overlooking the neighborhood. Residents on some bags, leave their home. Some masked by T-shirts or towels to protect themselves from smoke.

Some stay close to their homes, "to monitor". At the entrance to the road leading to his house, a man of sixty years standing with his dog, watching a desperate eye flames approaching. "My house is down the street, I monitor my children, my grandchildren and my wife left," he says, "is unfortunate, it was cute."

"It's a disaster, it's been five years since I saw there is a more desolate and wind is unwavering," laments a man of fifty years, in military fatigues. "Firefighters are doing what they can, but this attack everywhere."

A thick smoke throughout the south-east of the city

Vehicles urban marine brigade back slowly to the disaster. Pan on a very steep hill, the fire to devour brush filled teeth. "It's the community that the neighborhood was that there had been mutual, not the state services," a young s'énerve waterfront, "there is a village, by the Winter is like a nursery, a community. "

By early evening, while the south-east of Marseilles bathed in a thick smoke, with a temperature over 30 degrees. Since the heights of the pass that leads to Gineste creeks, there is a brown plume dominates the city center.

And another one
Marseille : plusieurs maisons touchées par le feu dans les quartiers est
Several homes burned in the east end of Marseille
www.ouest-france.fr...

On a side note, isin't that one of the areas that always has riots?
Possibly suspicious? Was the place bombed on purpose?
duhn duhn DUHN!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Apparently the US Airforce practice live bombing runs at night over their own Citys. They say they have to use live bombs (including nukes) because this is the only way to get good practice . They have ditched plenty of live nukes before now and then just tried to cover it up like its not a big deal .
www.timesonline.co.uk...

[edit on 22-7-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Looks like somebody gave the wrong coordinates, or pointed their gun in the wrong direction...it happens...

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by VitalOverdose
Apparently the US Airforce practice live bombing runs at night over their own Citys. They say they have to use live bombs (including nukes) because this is the only way to get good practice . They have ditched plenty of live nukes before now and then just tried to cover it up like its not a big deal .
www.timesonline.co.uk...

[edit on 22-7-2009 by VitalOverdose]

Ok, for starters check the article you post before you make claims that the USAF trains with live ordnance over cities. The article you posted was a HUGE black eye for the Air Force, but in the first few lines it is stated that it was a big mistake! And I'm pretty sure the secretary of the Air Force lost his job over that mistake. Also that was not a training exercise, or a bombing exercise, or anything else but a whole string of procedural errors.

"It was the first time in the atomic age that the US air force had lost track of nuclear weapons." That is from your proof, so is this "“This was an unacceptable mistake and a clear deviation from our exacting standards,” Michael Wynne, the air force secretary, said on Friday at the conclusion of the force’s six-week investigation."

As for training with other live ordinance, I just spoke with 3 current Air Force pilots and 2 Ravens (Electronic warfare officers) and none of them have ever heard of targeting cities or any other populated areas, "bomb ranges sure, towns hell no. That’s just stupid." quoted from one of the majors in my office.

Next time check your facts and try not to make up outlandish lies and then link an article that proves you wrong.

new topics

top topics

join