It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Gordon Ordered More Helicopters?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I was just reading this article - www.timesonline.co.uk...

Earlier Gordon Brown accepted the case for more helicopters in the region. In a change of tone, he acknowledged that more were required for the “general” Afghan mission and said that they were being ordered.

By this does Brown mean the MoD has ordered some new helicopters such as the Chinooks or does he simply mean that we have ordered more of out fleet out into the region?

It would be quite interesting if we were to suddenly buy 20 more chinook helicopters.

Anyone have info on this?

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Thirst]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Thirst

According to the BBCnews more helecopters are being prepared for the region

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I dont think the troops will be seeing them anytime soon i think though...kinda shows you how much the government values the lifes of soldiers in their little geo-political adventures to not have enough in the first place.Not to think about it years later...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I have been trying to understand this story.
Why can't we just buy the software for them, that must be cheaper than converting them. Or are there problems with the software still.

Weren't a lot of crashes blamed on engine management software?

Anyway how do you order more? Do you just ring up Boeing and press 1 on your touch tone phone for sales? or do you fax a purchase order? or perhaps they have an online store?

But then the UK wouldn't buy new, we probably buy used ones from USA which are worn out and then put in Rolls Royce engines and spend the next 5 years trying to make them work.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Gordon Brown is the biggest ass I've ever seen. He's so arogant it's unreal, he won't even admit his mistakes let alone step down. If he hasn't ordered more helicopters, would you be suprised? I mean he doesn't give 2 flips about them poor bastards over there.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
If the Brits need some helicopters to boost their ops in durka-durkastan, why not just strip their naval destroyers and frigates of some of their helicopters and transfer them to the battle zone? With the exception of the Somalian coastal area, most of the helicopters based on these ships are convienient tools during (relative) peacetime. So send the choppers with their naval crews over to durka-durkastan and get the job done and stop all this damn complaining when the solution is right under your nose.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

+ 4 Type 22 frigates

+ 8 GM destroyers

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
The thing is Britain has around 500 helicopters... yet only about 30 are in Afghanistan right now?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
From what i can gather they are refitting some of the merlins that we already have and some of the Chinooks (MK3's?) that we bought a few years ago and have sat idle ever since due to software problems, still wondering why it is taking up to a year to refit and train the pilots for these though?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thirst
The thing is Britain has around 500 helicopters... yet only about 30 are in Afghanistan right now?

A simple count of helicopters is a tad misleading. The UK does not have 500 transport heliocopters.

In 2006 - according to Flight International (so don't take below as read), the UK had:

RAF - 40 Chinook; 22 Merlin; 35 Puma
RN - 40 Merlin
AAC - er, nothing

Not sure if the infamous 8 Chinook with-software-problems which cannot fly are included.

Loads of Lynx, Gazelle, Sea King, Apache and a smattering of other types.

Regards

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Maybe they keeping as much harware in UK for later this year?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Dont forget Prince Wills needs one for going to stag dos and picking up his chums on the way.

Although more helicopters may save a few lives, we can never win this war.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Gordon would have issues ordering a takeaway, let alone a helicopter, the plan is, get the choppers back from Iraq, tosh them up, give the crews a fly round the block, then put these tired old workhorses back on the front line.

For a fraction of the cost we bailed out the banks, or lost money selling gold at a all time low we could have given our troops something they deserve.

We can expect this state of the art hardware to be ready at the end of the year, in the meantime the IED technology is increasing at an alarming rate.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dan steely

It's not really Gordon Browns fault when it came to the bailout,probably wasn't up to him.Bank of englands more than likely.Still im baffled why ihese transport helicopters have not been ordered before,or better yet before we invaded..have people on the ground been asked for the helicopters for all these years and been ignored?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Why hello!

I used to live on a RAF base, RAF Shawbury to be precise. Its a helicopter oriented base for training and what not. One of the princes has just trained there. Now interesting enough, we have a whole amount of apaches just sitting in some hangers. Maybe gordons growing some balls and dispatching them?

new topics

top topics

join