It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What have you really learned since joining ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Since I came to ATS I have learned that everyone in the world is a Bigoted, Racist, Paranoid, Gun-Toting, God-Fearing, Bible-Thumping, Revelations-Quoting, Apocalyptic Republican without a single rational cell in their brains...and that scares me more than any Alien/NWO/Illuminati/Government Conspiracy every could!

All joking aside (and it was a jest! The Christian Right can lower their guns now)...

I've learned that people are the same no matter where you go.

I've learned that everyone is a sheep, as everyone calls everyone but themselves sheep.

I've learned that when it comes down to it, people are more worried about the simple things in life than they are the big things. They'd sacrifice their rights to ensure they have a job and can put food on the family table, even if they would argue that they are more concerned about their rights.

I've learned that if 6 people on a Thread can't come to an agreement about anything, then there is no way that there could be any credence to a NWO/Illuminati/TPTB Conspiracy as there is no way that thousands of them could ever come to an agreement on which to collude.

I've learned that for every Nay-Sayer there is a demeaning title they are universally given, and the same goes for every Yeah-Sayer.

I've learned that everything is divided into Dualities and that both sides will place blame on the other, and that it always comes down to us and them. Apparently no one wants to take accountability for anything unless it's over something good.

I've learned that there are infinitely more scapegoats one can blame than there are sins. (President, Jews, TPTB, Satanists, Illuminati, Reptilians, NWO, U.N., the Government, MSM might be the Top 10 Scapegoats for everything that is wrong with the world, but they are not even the tip of the iceberg apparently!)

I've learned that in all these hundreds of thousands of years of evolution, each and every one of us still have the same character flaws we had back then.

Most of all I've learned not to take things so seriously and to laugh a little. All doom and gloom makes for some seriously unhappy masses! No matter how bad things might be assumed to be, the sky is still clear, the sun is still shining, and if you really believe that it is all going to come to a screaming end on 12/21/2012, then why not take some time to appreciate and enjoy what you have rather than worry about the things that you cannot change? Sometimes it's important to stop and smell the roses, especially if those days are numbered, just as it is all the more important to laugh and live a little.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I've learned that everyone has different opinions that often overlap with those others have. In long discussions, the overlapping bits often break down as the conversation gets down to details. Sometimes the opposite is true as well and opposing views come together on some key points.

Changing opinions is one of the hardest things for people to do, but it does happen now and then. I've seen it and it impresses the heck out of me when it happens. In my opinion, it's the result of critical thinking, civil discourse and careful reading. When those three combine in a thread, anything is possible.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Well, I've learned a few things since my first visit to ATS.
I've found a few people on here that can blow my mind on a daily basis because they are THAT intelligent. I've come across a few people that need to find a new site to grace with their presence. (to be put NICELY)
I've learned that I'm not the only one who knows that something is going on in the world that no one can quite put their finger on.
I've had a few laughs, and a few OMFG moments.
And I've made one incredibly amazing friend that I hope I never lose.
All in all, I think my ATS experience has been a good one.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by novacs4me

I d agree with you Novacs that there is so much help available on ATS.

Ive discovered there are sharks who will tear apart your opinions and views but in time you learn to sort out the Gems from the Coal.

At this point Im at a stand still. Do I tell what I have experienced or keep my mouth shut and be a lurker? Its a tough decision I cant make just yet.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ventessa

You sound like my kind of friend . Thank you for your post.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Magantice

I do not believe I have learned anything but I have been entertained daily. Also I have made many really cool friends.

I like it here alot. Great fun.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I've learned that people will take any chance they can get to say something negative about ATS.

Sad really.

However, they keep coming back.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
I have learned alot about politics from very well read members..bits about little known ufo cases...that alot of people in the World have WAY out there ideas and lots of people agree with them.Reptilians anyone?

I agree with Solomon.

I have opened up my mind to more possibilities.

It is comforting to know that I'm not the only person that has made a stand to speak up,
will do the right thing, not sell out, EVER!, and will protect the young and old no matter what cost.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I have learned that there are a great many more story tellers out there than I ever imagined. I learned that people will tend to believe whatever is popular to believe. I have learned that my religious views are unwelcome. I have learned that there are truly more devious things going on in this world than I ever thought possible, and that's just the stuff we have evidence for. And I have learned that there are those out there that will be willing to stand beside me against the fascism and totalitarianism that is hurtling toward us all.

s&f

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I've been kicked off of other, less tolerant forums for being too abrasive, so here I've changed my style somewhat. I try to just comment with my opinion and leave others to their devices (unless I find them utterly ridiculous, then I can't stand to just let it go). I now make an effort to understand the other side of the argument. In particular here I feel I can actually voice what I'm really thinking no matter how controversial. I find that there are a few people out there who think a lot like myself.

I used to think of myself as progressive or whatever and thought I knew everything (graduating top 5% and going to college has that effect) and have basically thrown the known political paradigm out the window in favor of the only argument that matters, liberty vs. authority. I came to ATS as I was beginning to make this transition. I now identify as libertarian and a ron paul fan. I was on the fence during the election to vote for obama or RP symbolically, now I am sure of who the real champion of the people is. In the end I think I was one of many who just wanted to punish the republicans, not realizing in time the old boss is the same as the new boss, how the game works, etc.

I was always cynical and skeptical of the official line but now I feel I understand the M.O. of TPTB and their minions, and what really goes on a little better. With ATS you really do learn something every day, and that's always been a goal of mine. I would say connecting the dots is the skill we practice here, and mine has improved.

Hey this thread is really cathartic. This post is more for me than anyone else. S + F

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Great thread.

I've learned that there are apparently a LOT of teenagers with computers.

Seriously, I've learned I can be a pretty emotionally immature person and that I take things way too seriously sometimes.

I've learned that no matter what you want to call yourself...spaceman, monkey wizard, beetle prophet, potato being...there are actually people on the internet that will AGREE with you! They will actually join your club and be fellow Potato Beings WITH you. It's awesome.
Then they will join you in the great potato being revolution that is apparently RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER and together, you can assert your superiority over the rest of the un-evolved humans. Again, Awesome!

I learned that I absolutely HATE being wrong, but I do it more than I would have thought. (at least according to the potato beings)

I learned that intelligence is a great thing, unless it's wielded with a lack of compassion or sense of superiority. Although I do the two latters, I'm not too guilty of the former.

I learned that Ad Hominens are NOT the things they make grits out of, (thanks Tamale guy, or gal, whichever and wherever you may be!) because fellow ATS-ers are good at making you think about what you believe, and that just pisses me off.
so what do I do? Insult them, of course.
No just kidding, I'm getting better, again, thanks to this crazy mixed up bag of weirdos.

Grains of salt....always grains of salt.

Oh, and just because the really, really smart ones don't smile when they end their posts, it doesn't mean they're mad at you. Just that they are really, really smart and it would detract from there serious demeanor if they were caught cavorting with us simple folks.

Oh, and I learned that even a fairly normal (in my twisted perception) guy in the middle of nowhere, with absolutely no secret destructive powers, or even a utility belt, can be the 'respected foe' of a complete stranger! That was probably the highlight of my somewhat lackluster existence.
oops...got caught monologuing again.

ATS is awesome.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Magantice

What have you really learned since joining ATS?

Personally, I have learned that inquiring minds tend to flock together, even if they don't always agree on some of the details. What I have always suspected... that an open mind doesn't become lost in open spaces, proves true.

ATS (for the most part) represents the freedom and common ground we all wish we had beyond the confines of this web space.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
A little about tolerance, a little about patience. A lot about hoaxers.

And that members, for the most part, come and go. But I've been here for awhile.

And that sometimes the worst people end up being the best in the end. And that you can never apologize too much. Things like that.

But some people are just awful.

Oh yes, and we're all a very quirky sort.

[edit on 7/22/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Really?

I'd like to see the stats on that!

I'll bet more people leave and never login again than those that stick around.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Before ATS I was completely nieve to the people behind the scenes in government. Matter of fact, I really had no clue about politics or wall street or government or anything. I still don't understand these things all to well but have gained a better understanding. I always thought government was here to help us and I was wrong. I have to say that I have had a complete awakening to what goes on and its beyond belief but I do believe it. I have learned so much from so many intellegent people. I learn new things everyday and I gather my own conclusions from the vast variety of things I read. I feel like its a giant puzzle and the folks here help me to put it together. I also feel like I am a stronger person, I believe what I believe and no one can take that from me.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by venividivici

Stats are not kept on that.

Oh well.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Very nice idea for a thread! Congratulations.

What I have learned is actually most tangible to me. But mostly because the much of the revelations shared thus far were not new to me.

I have learned many things, most of them affirmations of lessons past, or wisdom passed on...; But such are those things (that don't become real until they are experienced personally.)

E-socialization isn't exactly rocket science, but to some, or more honestly to me, is a new craft. I try to converse with everyone; opting to convey respect and interest, rather than defiance or emotional lances.

Evidently, the less thick-skinned, have great difficulty accepting the fact that what they consider reason, does not jibe with other members'. While their rationalization may hold water introspectively, much of what we engage in here becomes the antithesis of introspective.

However, time heals all wounds, and I suspect many have experienced it enough to realize that one simple rule makes it bearable: any debate you enter simply can not be taken personally.

Perhaps that represents a valid lesson to offer up as an example.... I imagine some would argue otherwise!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I have learned that even so called "free-thinkers" and "intelligent" people are drawn to sensationalism just like the rest of the population.

I have learned that respect is very rare

I have learned there are many people who believe in the unbelievable just as I do, but at the same time there are many even in a place like this that are ready to condemn you or check you into a mental institution.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
What I have come to learn here on ATS is that most everybody is very intelligent....My hubby being the MOST intelligent...
sorry just had to add that...i think he is....

I read a lot of the stuff on here and find most of it interesting, sometimes funny, and sometimes just plain off the wall....

I have come to the realization that I am so far away from being 1/2 as smart as you guys and gals....well maybe 1/4....

I will keep on plugging away and maybe one of these days u might all be really surprised by a very smart thread that I hope to post one of these days soon that you will all be AWESTRUCK....
(especially my hubby)

I have learned a few things though about TSHF and such, which i would never have even thought to be too concerned about if it werent' for my hubby and this site....

Learning that so many people have so many thoughts and ideas on every topic under the sun....(including the sun, and way beyond the sun...

Learning somethings that I thought might be messed up, like the 9/11 thingy...i always thought something was wrong with that picture that the media told us to believe....

Well, so thanks all for reading my sometimes , mostly, not too interesting threads....I will get better in time......and thanks to the few people that S&F to those.....

I can't wait to keep learning more stuff on an awesome site.....

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
[edit on 22-7-2009 by djr33222]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join