It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What have you really learned since joining ATS?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
What i have learned from ATS is that every one believes in their own sources without any doubt. And that non other source then their own is any good because they say something different then theirs source tells.

Within religion we have two camps. Believer and non believer. And they never ever agree lol. And never ever will agree.

When it comes to UFOs everything is debunked right here on ATS. That's quite fascinating if you ask me.

I wonder have anybody ever thought about debunking anythig at ATS?

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
That there is 1000% more UFOs sightings that we see in MSM. no importance what they really are...
And most important of all: the feeling like mutant Slan from that van Vogt novel could have...
"Och God!! there is more lunatics like me!!!")

[edit on 24-7-2009 by ZenOnKwalsky]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
ive learnt people are a scourge upon this earth and that were not alone in the universe,may a higher up being(god supposedly doesnt exist either)help these extra terrestials if they find us.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It's a fair point. What have I learnt from ATS?

Firstly, that the general standard of debate is actually pretty poor. This is, however, balanced by the smattering of wonderful people who do post interesting and enlightening threads.

Secondly, I've learned that being online and particularly hooked up to ATS really does help you keep informed. I was out of the loop for a little while last year, and although I watch very little mainstream news, my view of Obama was a) he wouldn't win because b) he'd be too radical even though c) (and this from watching those few of his speeches that made it to TV in the UK) his speeches were scrupulously content-free.

I even discussed the possibility he'd be assassinated. It seems ludicrous now, because his connections to Chicago machine politics and to people like Brzhezinski, but I really thought he might be a bit of fresh air and not More Of The Same Old Same Old.

I've learned how to do some pretty basic research.

I've learned to spot at least some disinfo. At least I flatter myself that's the case. I've learned to spot disinfo tactics, certainly.

I've learned that it's better to post a thread where you're trying to make a point rather than asking a question. Trying to attract the attention of the few people who make this board worthwhile, and out of whom an even smaller handful would be able to answer your question, is a really uphill struggle.

I've learned that there are many truly strange people out there. I was going to say, "you know who you are", but actually, I don't think they do.

I've learned that there's an inexhaustible supply of dates for, and causes of, the End Of The World As We Know It.

There's also a seemingly infinite supply of Americans terrified they're going to be nuked by Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Osama, or Al Qaeda.

I've also learned that the Good People Who Run ATS don't have much of a sense of humour. Some of the most hilarious posts have been from people who've been banned subsequently. I've had threads and posts removed for just having fun. Such a shame. Satire is NOT appreciated at ATS.

Other than that, it's just a good spot to come for news and opinions.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adonsa
  • That there can be webmaster control vs. advertiser control/domination of a website.

• Greetings,
    [I apologize for posting the above - I am greviously WRONG!

Even though I'm using the newest version of the Camino web browser - and Camino is particularly strong in popup blocking and obnoxious ad suppression, the ATS staff has seen fit to place a hidious pop-under ad that penetrates the best blocking efforts.

What needs to be known is that if the user wants to block popups and insidious pop under web pages - that means the he/she doesn't want to be annoyed by them.

It also means that the webmaster has surrendered control of his website to an ad company.

May I suggest to the ATS webmaster staff - give users an option to opt out of obnoxious pop under web pages.

The first pop under web page promotes Britney Spears. The one that's up now promotes the LA Tribune. I couldn't care less about either, so please don't sneak it under my web page display and annoy me with it when I close out my web browser.

Other webmasters have argued "well I have no control over what the ad company displays!" In those cases - the web page no longer belongs to the webmaster it belongs to the ad company.

The lesson learned? Verify before lauding the ATS staff.

C'mon guys, you're much smarter than the ad company staff.

Adonsa

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:36 PM
    link   
    what have i learned.............................

"I am troubled
    Immeasurably
    By your eyes
    I am struck
    By the feather
    Of your soft
    The sound of glass
    Speaks quick
    Disdain
    And conceals
    What your eyes fight
    To explain."

~~~james douglas morrison

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:42 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Adonsa

Yes Adonsa, the pop ups are annoying!!!
    Which website can you name that doesn't have them??

The fact that this site is free to use is the result of the "Foresight" of the founders and the "Administrators / Moderators".
    Who do you think pays for the hosting of this site????

Of course, the adds do.

As in all things, it is your personal right to ignore them. Pick up the remote and change the channel. You have the power.

If you want to pay for access to this site, by all means be my guest, but all in in all, i applaud the site for providing a "Free Voice" to it's participants, and their intelligence and foresight in doing so.

Enjoy!!!!

[edit on 24-7-2009 by starwarp2000]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:06 AM
    link   
    He ended the thread 2 pages ago!!!!

just to let you know, but carry on mates!!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:40 AM
    link   
    reply to post by truth/seeker

Yes you are correct in that I did end the thread two pages ago due to the negativity of some.

Secondly, he is a she. Im a 58 yr old woman who has never
    a. been abducted
    b. seen a ufo
    c. seen a ghost, demon, vampire, mothman, or any other boogy
    d. has never met,seen or channeled an alien
    e. is not a so called christian
    f. is not a satanist etc etc

As a newbee I simply hoped to learn what ATS meant to you.

I have however met wonderful people and a couple of sharks.

Thank you all again for your opinions.
    Magantice

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:28 AM
    link   
    You know nothing will be debunked on this site unless someone can Google the right answer.

That means debunking has to be done by some one else first and then placed on the internet for other to find.

Our way of debunking is just a rat race to find some one else's information or thoughts. Then we use that as facts.
    If some one has a statement or a opinion to make on your findings without a source it will just be a assumption.

So what this means is that the public cant really debunk anything without a source. And i guess the source with most supporters win. And that becomes a fact and we say its debunked.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:54 AM
    link   
    I have learned that my deep held belief that we the people are kept as ignorant and apathetic as possible by the mainstream media is true. I have learned that we the people usually let them.
    I have learned nothing is as it seems and yet everything isn't a conspiracy, that there are some who will believe everything they read and others that cant believe their own eyes.
    Most importantly i have learned that if i really want to know or understand a subject i should study it myself, this forum has been a invaluable tool in this.

keep up the good work people!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:30 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Magantice

Shown me that no matter what, you will always find someone that believes in something no matter how outlandish you may think it is.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:26 AM
    link   
    Good morning, Starwarp2000, thanks for replying.

RE:

As in all things, it is your personal right to ignore them. Pick up the remote and change the channel. You have the power.

Yes, of course, Starwarp2000, but that's not the issue.

The "ignore them" is accomplished by the popup blocker software capability built into the best web browser softwares. The Camino popup blocker works perfectly in all websites except this one. The web developer and/or the malware-spammer that wrote the popup script has decided that the user who prefers not to see it must see it anyway. So he coded his popup to circumvent the popup blocker - clearly a "hit em below the belt" tactic.

This is a case of big brother - the adware spammer, considering himself to be "smarter than the website reader," and he has decided that the website reader must be annoyed by the pop-under.

Support for ATS - if asked to do so, I'll click reputable ads [to support ATS] that appear on the ATSNN page; if such an ad is not sneaky, insidious, or obnoxious. I will not click ads placed by malware promulgators such as double-click.net.

ATSNN is one of the best websites in existance today - I hate to see it trumped by an adware spammer.

An EASY FIX. ATSNN webmaster tell the adware programmer to refrain from circumventing web browser popup blockers. Is this too much to ask for?

[edit on 25/7/09 by Adonsa]

[edit on 25/7/09 by Adonsa]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:58 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Magantice

Actually, quite a lot. First coming here, i just took a brief look at the threads and i thought to myself "what's wrong with these people, everything is fine!"

But no, everything is not fine. I learned a great deal here, and I thank all the intelligent people here that contribute in raising people's awareness on certain issues on a daily basis. Thank you for doing what you are doing.

What have I learned? That what I call reality and everyday life is just a freaking illusion. A mind construct, designed by the the PTB in an effort to conceal the truth and the true essence of reality.

Thank you ATS and ATS members

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:17 PM
    link   
    ive seen this thread for a few days now

just thought id comment

what ive REALLY learned is that while i have gained a enormous amount of enlightenment and knowledge about the way the world works and how it is run

i have also found out that most of the site is dominated by people who seem to love beating a dead horse

seems to be more and more lately over the past 2 years, more so then previously in history

previously to these past 2 years, it seems we had a great range of ever changing topics here on ats

and even with similar topics you were getting new discussions and new ideas

lately though

it seems to be the same crap over and over again with gems hidden in between the crap

the same arguments the same defenses

its actually making me spend less and less time on ats

which is disappointing because there still is a great deal of vast information present here on this site

but it seems to be dominated by the same old crap and the interesting stuff gets harder to find

i dont know if its due to the mentality of our culture
    i dont know if its due to dis-info agents
    or what

but i sure have learned, theres a lot of dead horses still being beaten up on a daily basis here

it used to be every day id come on ats and right on the main page would be new very interesting topics daily

now it seems you have to do a lot more searching to find the gems

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Dramey]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:52 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Dramey

I totally agree with you!

some people don"t act civil to other people, just argue, away. Many
    good threads are taken over or off topic, maybe on purpose. IMO.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:19 PM
    link   
    I have learned that some really mundane things become giant flaming arguments on ATS,because everyone sees even simple things differently than everyone else.

A lot of what I read here is such an utter waste of time,it is unbelievable!.

Just my personal opinion.......

Because what one thinks is important,seems pretty stupid to another person a lot of the time.

The internet has become as pointless and addictive as TV,unless you are surfing Ebay....

I am buying a big sailboat,!seriously!,and I am going to leave all of this drivel behind,permanent vacation,the good old way.

Eat fish,eat clams,chase mermaids,read books,visit new places without having to smell the person in the seat next to me,or without having to drive and get stressed by stupid people......run aground,sink and-drown........anything is more fun than this life you all think is so great...

You are all lost.

See Ya!.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by chiponbothshoulders]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:12 AM
    link   
    I have learned that there are even more firghteningly deluded people around than I thought.

I guess I didn't realize there are so many religious fanatics, survivalists, militia leftovers and hippie dippy new agers around.

The obvious glee the religious fanatics, particularly the "Christian" End Timers, have at the prospect of divine wrath being poured out upon those who disagree with their belief system and their disregard for human based solutions to human based problems has been particularly depressing. It's why I spend less and less time here.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:04 PM
    link   
    What ATS has brought me countless of knowledge that has gave me more insight about the world and life. People on ATS are unbelievable and awesome. I discovered, I was not alone in lots of my opinions, mostly about 2012. Also, that there are people who can to abnormal activities like Empathy etc. It has brought me hope that the earth is not a total downfall and that humans are smart living creatures. I encourage more information about everything and everyone in and effect our planet. ATS is hope and reality to the human race.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:14 AM
    link   
    I've learned that i CAN become addicted to a website and all the weired and wonderfuls on it

(i've also learned to never think you know it all and to never judge anothers views. my learned motto from being on ATS is 'each to their own')

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join