It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Apollo 11 footage found in a garage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

The documentary JULY MOON is the story of the lost NASA tapes, and the man who had them stored in a garage for over twenty years.

NASA intern named Gary George purchases the 2-inch magnetic tapes at a government surplus auction at Ellington Air Force Base

The FBI comes into play as NASA property is seen being thrown away as “trash” at George’s parents’ home in Houston, Texas.

Buzz Aldrin is enthralled while viewing the historic footage for the first time and recounts the famous mission and the moments leading up to Neil Armstrong’s epic moment.

www.apple.com...

News story July 22th 2009
today.msnbc.msn.com...

George's footage has actually never been seen before.

In 1976, the former NASA intern bought over 1,000 reels of tape from the government agency during an auction. A copy of the original receipt shows he paid just over $200.00.

"I saw this stack of tape; it was bigger than this room. I looked at it and it was all these shiny reels of tape," George recalls. "I thought, man, these ought to be worth something. I kind of thought to myself if I actually had the original NASA video tape..."

In 1976, Gary George realized three of the reels he had in his possession contained footage of Armstrong's moonwalk. But it wasn't until December of 2008 that he saw for himself how significant the footage was.

Karen Person is a Las Vegas-based producer and director who is working with George on a feature documentary entitled "July Moon."

"We don't have the slow-scan tapes, but we do have the original broadcast tapes that were transmitted to NASA on that day in July, 1969," says Person. "And we believe this is the only surviving tape."

The film tells of a retired engineer who has taken the three Apollo 11 reels with him during various moves across the United States, and how he almost gave them away.

"I was loading up the car and I picked up these three reels and was setting them in the car to take and donate to somebody," says George. "And my dad was standing there; he told me you know, you might want to hang onto those. Those might be valuable some day."

George said he initially bought the reels so that he could sell them - not for the content, but for the equipment. He says in the 1970s, reels like these were expensive.

"I just figured anything I was going to do wouldn't have any impact. It's ironic that something I did trying to make a few bucks in college has now managed to preserve a little piece of history."

George has negotiated with NASA in an attempt to give the reels back to them, but neither side was able to come to terms on an agreement.

The documentary film "July Moon" promises to give anyone who watches a new perspective on what could possible be the most important recorded event in the history of the last century.

But it also gives Gary George a way to share his history with the world.

"July Moon" should be out in theaters in late September. Monday marks the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11's landing in the Sea of Tranquility.

Gary George posts more information in this thread
www.collectspace.com...

Screenshots from the videos
www.dcvideo.com...

[edit on 22-7-2009 by conar]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

George has negotiated with NASA in an attempt to give the reels back to them, but neither side was able to come to terms on an agreement.

Just a little upsetting. If the guy wants to contribute to history, why not just settle for the original price he paid for them, along with a little money for gas...I would think a person with the benefit of history in mind would just give the tapes back....with a smile and a handshake.

Great news for the archives though. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I would not give the tapes back....I would make and give them copies. NASA lost and taped over the original tapes, what makes you think they woudnt do it again. I mean didnt NASA even store some moon landing tapes in an abandon McDonalds? Stuff like that really makes me wonder if the landing really happend. It seems that the tapes of the landings would be 100% proof but NASA just doesnt want to be in possition of them.... Very odd IMHO.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I would auction the **** out of them! NASA doesn't seem to really care, and the lack of interest in the MSM and even on this site shows that only a rich, space/history buff would pay 'well' for that reel. I agree with above - make copies and then sell either the original for millions or the copies for 29.99 plus s and h.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Is this real - or just another NASA con job?

We have been had before you know...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Google has the sharpest recordings on the right... this is from google earth

[edit on 22-7-2009 by conar]

top topics

join