Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Artificial brain '10 years away'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later!

BBC - Artificial brain '10 years away'

A detailed, functional artificial human brain can be built within the next 10 years, a leading scientist has claimed.

Henry Markram, director of the Blue Brain Project, has already built elements of a rat brain.

Well that's Wall St taken care of!

He told the TED global conference in Oxford that a synthetic human brain would be of particular use finding treatments for mental illnesses.

Around two billion people are thought to suffer some kind of brain impairment, he said.

"It is not impossible to build a human brain and we can do it in 10 years," he said.

"And if we do succeed, we will send a hologram to TED to talk."

It's amazing really, but I wonder if they'll get any volunteers for trials. I guess it could have many implications for brain damaged/diseased patients.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Man walks in: I want an artificial brain...
Man walks out: Who am I, what am I, Where am I...

Not sure what good an artificial brain would do anyone...but interesting find nonetheless!

EDIT: Now if they could find a way to upload all your thoughts and memories into the artificial brain...then look out world...a new evolution in what defines a lifetime.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Well, YOU are not your brain, so really it wouln't matter whether you had yours or some fake one would it?

As far as it goes, I dont' think it would ever be used to maintain a person or to transplant one into a person. But as far as study goes, it would be extremely usefull for all sorts of things.

Imagine you could test all kinds of treatments/drugs/trials without ever having to worry about an actual human being affected.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I think the interesting part would be when they can connect a real brain and an artificial brain, you know interface them before doing a transplant.

Hm, 12 years away!?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thats what i think aswell,we are the result of a vast collection of experiences which build *you* or *me*.The brain is just the glue that holds those memories/ experiences together.As for this,i think i read about this a while back where he created all the neurons etc of a mouse brain in a computer...pretty cool.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Imagine you could test all kinds of treatments/drugs/trials without ever having to worry about an actual human being affected.

Yeah, once they learn how to simulate mental illness in said artificial brain...but if we were that knowledgeable in designing those types of mental illness mechanisms, then testing treatments on an artificial brain would be moot point, as we would already know the pathway that creates the disease...

Just sayin'

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot

I think the interesting part would be when they can connect a real brain and an artificial brain, you know interface them before doing a transplant.

Hm, 12 years away!?

I saw that movie somewhere....Johnny Mnemonic, I think
That would be about the coolest thing ever...except for people stealing your thoughts

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Artificial brain ten years away!

Woah ho ho, hold on mate, umm.... where is my flying car?

We can mimic the acts of a god, but still, no flying car?

Maybe the new brain could figure out how to build one?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Well, YOU are not your brain, so really it wouldn't matter whether you had yours or some fake one would it?

But you are your brain otherwise Alzheimer's Disease would be a walk in the park. The friends and family of Alzheimer patients say that they first have a personality change and then fade away until the person they knew has gone.

Anyway, those grown brains will be mostly used for drug testing, experiments, installation into circuitry/machinery, cyborgs?

In the end, these bodiless, deaf, dumb and blind artificially grown brains will probably be quite mad. After all, it takes nature and nurture to grow a well adjusted human being.

[edit on 043131p://pm3150 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

The brain just contains you....the brain is a jar and you are the pickles,no pickles no you.But there is still a jar.As for uploading yourself etc it wont be that far off,remember the japanese scientists that were able to show the images you were thinking of on a computer screen by mapping all the electrical signals of your brain.You would need a quantum computer though to run it i think...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

So give one a life and then copy it. Or just record ALL stimuli from peoples lives untill you get the correct life experiances to copy for A.I. I know i personally wouldnt have a problem with a trillion copies of myself.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
What if it develops psychic powers. It could become the master, and the scientist become the lab rats.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

No, you are not your brain.

Let's use the example of a cell phone battery.

What's inside the battery is YOU, specifically the soul.

Now the battery might be fine, but what if the connecting pins on the back of the phone are malfunctioning? Will you get a full charge of the battery? No you won't.

The vessel becomes broken, it impairs our ability to access what's inside the brain.

But you are still not your brain, sorry.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

If they can create an artificial brain, then they know how a regular brain works.

Therefore as has been said in the article, they would potentially be able to treat people suffering from stuff like mental illness. People who have injured part of their brain during an accident etc. Replacing the damaged part(s) with computer enhanced replacements.

Then many years in the future, the ability to upload from a normal brain to a virtual one. Or make an AI get even smarter by directly downloading stuff like knowledge, skills, experience etc directly from people. You could then have it learn from all the best doctors on the planet & install them throughout the city to take care of everybody's health.

More immediate uses would be to use them to control basically all the worlds electronic systems. Such as traffic systems in cities etc, etc. So rather than having dozens of people working to monitor traffic lights, jams etc. All those people monitoring all the trains & subway's running across the city. Every one can be replaced by a single intelligence. It works constantly, never tired, never loses concentration, calls in sick etc. Meaning it can do it quicker & better than humans, as well as saving tons of money that you'd otherwise need to pay out in salary costs.

You could automate pretty much anything. If this does come to pass, then in 50 years or so, every home will end up having one running it.

Then there is the military applications for it.

The potential uses for these things are too staggering to fully comprehend!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I see that you are detouring into spirituality. Perhaps you can explain where the soul goes when some one has a serious brain injury?

I believe in a soul but think that it is not expressed through our brains or personality. It probably functions as a presence operating in our conscience even though the conscience is generated in the brain.

I also believe that when a fetus develops a functional nervous system and brain, the soul is created. The spark of consciousness produces the soul. That is also why I think higher order animals, that have self awareness, also have souls.

"woe betides those that commit cruelties to man or beast, your conscience will pay...". masonwatcher

[edit on 053131p://pm3121 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I know i personally wouldnt have a problem with a trillion copies of myself.

What about the rest of us having to tell the difference between a trillion yous?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I don't think the brain is just a vessel. I have read about people having the frontal cortex severely injured and developing full personality changes such as becoming violent, promiscuous, extroverted, etc.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Do you literally mean the soul? because...thats just nonsense for a million reasons.Unless you mean in the sense i was talking about.Masonwatcher pretty much dismantled the soul theory...if one really needs to in the 21st century.Mason i didn't make myself clear enough,YOU are the result of memories and experiences,if the vessel(brain) is damaged and some pickles fall out(memories and experiences) then yes i agree...i guess im confusing myself here aswell

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I do believe in the soul in an inverted sense. I think that the soul is a product and manifestation of the brain. It is also an aspect of self awareness. I don't see any reason why this presence could not continue after death. With brain damage, it is possible that the soul may no longer be present.

Regarding growing bain artificially, it could quite possible induce the development of a soul if it is a fully functional brain. What it will be is an abnormal entity.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

No, you are not your brain.

Let's use the example of a cell phone battery.

What's inside the battery is YOU, specifically the soul.

Now the battery might be fine, but what if the connecting pins on the back of the phone are malfunctioning? Will you get a full charge of the battery? No you won't.

The vessel becomes broken, it impairs our ability to access what's inside the brain.

But you are still not your brain, sorry.

~Keeper

First of all, can we agree to keep the definition of "who" we are within the boundaries of science and our abilities to experience consciousness and self-awareness, and not invoke metaphysics and ideas of "souls".

Secondly I think you're analogy is incompatible with the way humans actually function. Our brains are the control centers for nearly every chemical reaction and subsequent action/function that takes place within our bodies. This includes our perceptions of self and non self, and how that constructs our reality - encompassing sensory information from the present, information from the past stored as memories, and the ability to subsequently correlate feelings and emotions.

The bottom line is that our ideas, opinions, emotions, etc. - the things that define "who" we are - are all a function of or are directly controlled by our brains. The very functioning of our brains in this capacity is what makes "you", well, "you".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join