It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All eyes on border as Hondura's Manuel Zelaya vows to march back

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

All eyes on border as Hondura's Manuel Zelaya vows to march back

www.miamiherald.com

BY JIM WYSS
jwyss@MiamiHerald.com
LAS MANOS, Nicaragua -- During the 1980s, the woods surrounding this lonely border crossing were the scene of ambushes and firefights, as Nicaraguan Sandinistas and Honduran-based contras waged a bloody civil war.

Now, as ousted Honduran leader Manuel ``Mel'' Zelaya vows to lead a caravan across the frontier to reclaim the presidency he lost June 28, some fear this thin ribbon of asphalt that links the two nations could once again be the scene of a clash.

As hopes for a negotiated solution to Honduras' 3-week-old political crisis fade, Zelaya has sa
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
These are interesting developments in the ongoing political debate regarding the ousted Honduran President.

It will be interesting to see just what kind of march he puts together and who might be bearing arms in it and from where.

This certainly is shaping up to be a true test for the Powers That Be who love the slogan “Regime Change” when it comes to them setting up the new regime, but seem to have zero tolerance for it, when the people themselves of a nation decide to depose a leader attempting to rule outside of their nation’s constitution.

I guess it helps to have friends in high and low places?

www.miamiherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

His rival and Honduras' interim president, Roberto Micheletti, has ordered the army to arrest him on sight. Few believe that the encounter will take place without bloodshed, as passions for both men run high.

``If Mel were to show up I would let him sleep in my bed and give him something to eat,'' said Isaías Rodríguez, a taxi driver who shuttles tourists from the desolate border region to the town of Dalí, Honduras, about 19 miles away. ``If he comes in and they arrest him, there will be bullets.''

So here former President Zalaya who defied his nation's Supreme Court who had ruled a non-binding referendum could not be placed on midterm election ballots to change the Honduran Constitution to allow Presidents to hold more than one term in office seems prepared to use violence if need be to finish out his one term in office...

Is it any wonder that people in Honduras are concerned he might similiarly use violence as a means to extend out his rule when he defied the Honduran Supreme Court and had ballots printed and prepared for distribution to open a means to a second term?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Where do these people get their gall and edacity??? If I was elected to do something, and because I didn't do it (adhere to the constitution) I was removed, I would never force myself back, knowing the reason I was removed is because the voters hate me. He's willing to start a battle that may kill even more people because he refuses to leave a position that the country no longer trusts him to honor. That seems to me almost like mental illness.

We have those same politicians here in the states. When one party calls them a liar and votes them out, they just change parties and run again.

Good post, S&F!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sundancer
Where do these people get their gall and edacity??? If I was elected to do something, and because I didn't do it (adhere to the constitution) I was removed, I would never force myself back, knowing the reason I was removed is because the voters hate me. He's willing to start a battle that may kill even more people because he refuses to leave a position that the country no longer trusts him to honor. That seems to me almost like mental illness.

We have those same politicians here in the states. When one party calls them a liar and votes them out, they just change parties and run again.

Good post, S&F!

It's pretty insane what Zeyala is doing as he was very peacefully removed from Office. A few people have died in street confrontations since his ouster but the coup itself was a bloodless and well adminstered one with the Supreme Court and the Legislature all involved and all in approval of the process.

Politics is so much about patronage and the corporate patronage especially. The wealth involved with some government contracts even in small nations like Honduras can be more than a small motive to murder and sewing the seeds of political unrest and violence.

Here is clearly a situation where the citizens and the Courts and the rest of the Government were all acting within their rights but because of the behind the scenes patronage involved they just won't let it go.

It's a crazy world! Thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
He wasn't removed according to the processes outlined in the Honduran Constitution, but overthrown by a military coup.

Whether the Honduran Supreme Court & Congress liked him or not, they violated their own Constitution in doing so.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
He wasn't removed according to the processes outlined in the Honduran Constitution, but overthrown by a military coup.

Whether the Honduran Supreme Court & Congress liked him or not, they violated their own Constitution in doing so.

Maybe, maybe not, it's pretty clear though he (the former President) violated a Supreme Court Order and was looking to overrule the Honduran Constitution.

I think they did the right thing, and the right thing for him to now do is to relinquish his claim to the Presidency.

new topics

top topics

join