It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Apologizes to Chinese Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

California Apologizes to Chinese Americans

news.yahoo.com

On July 17, the California legislature quietly approved a landmark bill to apologize to the state's Chinese-American community for racist laws enacted as far back as the mid–19th century Gold Rush, which attracted about 25,000 Chinese from 1849 to 1852. The laws, some of which were not repealed until the 1940s, barred Chinese from owning land or property, marrying whites, working in the public sector and testifying against whites in court. The new bill also recognizes the contributions Chinese
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Paul Fong intends to request an apology for the only federal law to deny immigration based exclusively on race "The Chinese Exclusion Act" the law was not repealed until 1943.

I don't know what an apology does to help the victims but apparently it is an official acknowledgment that CA was wrong.

It's reminds me of the wave of apologies across the globe to native populations who were annihilated during the colonial years of European conquest. Manifest Destiny, slavery there is a long history for the "white man's burden" to rob steal and butcher all those who stand in the way of progress with the full support of God above.

The relics can be seen today as the white man is determined to control the energy resources of the Middle East. I have a feeling we may be apologizing to the Arabs and Persians a few years from now.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Leo Strauss]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
"We're sorry...that you're so freaking Chinese!"

Good thing I'm not giving the apology, huh?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
"We're sorry...that you're so freaking Chinese!"

Good thing I'm not giving the apology, huh?

Damn right. You suffer from rectal-cranial inversion.

Thank all of you Chinese for all of your hard work over the years.

And thank you for your food!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I wonder what is up with all of these government apologies all of a sudden. Why apologize for something that you didn't personally do and something that can not be taken back from the pages of history.

Preparing for Reparations perhaps?

Just my 2-cents

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SIEGE

Calm down, sparky, it was just a joke.

If we can't make jokes about our differences then we'll have nothing but resentment left. I don't know many Oriental people, but those I do know have a cracking sense of humour.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Yes I was kind of curious if this apology means anything at all to Asian Americans. Does the long past admission of wrongs ring hollow and disingenuous?

I would be curious to hear Asian Americans take on this apology.

Frankly I find it too little, too late. Perhaps I am wrong maybe it does have meaning and can heal in some minor way the divisions between us all and help us to recognize our common humanity.

Last man on Earth that was indeed a remark to be expected from some Occidentals.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Leo Strauss]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Take a look at this graph. Maybe the time is right to apologize!

new topics

top topics

join