It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is "Cap & Trade?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
In a recent online article by Matt Taibbi, the question was asked:

What is Cap & Trade?

This is my take on what he and others have to say about the subject, I hope you find it interesting.

Apparently there is now much credible evidence to suggest that global warming is NOT such a threat as we have been led to believe. So if that is the case, why would the Government be pushing the subject on us with such force?
Well you have to look to some of the Governments best chums to find the answer and realize what they stand to gain from creating such an incredible illusion.

Enter the giant private bankers of Goldman Sachs, you know them, they're the ones who manipulated the tech stock bubble to make billions, they're the ones who had a large hand in the sub prime housing market and bundled lots of those toxic mortgages up into big piles of sh!t and then they got AIG to underwrite them before selling them onto unsuspecting pension funds and insurance companies..... sneaky !!!

Oh yes, I nearly forgot, When it all went tits up, they are the ones who got a 13 Billion dollars debt paid from AIG (with taxpayers money) then they changed their status from an Investment bank to a bank holding company. Why did they do this? so they could get access to a further 10 Billion of TARP funds and a whole basket of other secret Fed bail outs. Why secret? well congress can not audit the Fed can they?
So they can lend from the Fed and still plead poverty to the Gov't to get their grubby mitts on more of TARP tax dollars.

Feeling sick yet? well its time to get your gum boots on.
They have just paid out 4.7 Billion dollars in staff bonuses and compensation this year as they had an 18% profit increase for the first quarter compared with 2008.

Well now you know who we are dealing with, lets see what exactly they are up-to with their latest SCAM which is guaranteed to net them Billions.

Treasury chief of staff Mark Patterson and CFTC chief Gary Gensler, both former Goldmanites are presiding over a booming trillion dollar market that barely even exists yet, but will if the Democratic Party that it gave $4,452,585 to in the last election manages to push into existence a groundbreaking new commodities bubble, disguised as an "environmental plan," called CAP & TRADE.

If the bill passes, there will be limits for industry on the amount of carbon emissions (a.k.a. greenhouse gases) they can produce per year. If the companies go over their allotment, they will be able to buy "allocations" or credits from other companies that have managed to produce fewer emissions. President Obama conservatively estimates that about $646 billion worth of carbon credits will be auctioned in the first seven years; one of his top economic aides speculates that the real number might be twice or even three times that amount.

The beauty about this is that over time and with Government forced reductions in carbon emissions, the price of these credits will rise and the volume of the market will be upwards of a trillion dollars annually. Last year Goldmans spent 3.5 million on climate change lobbying. Back in 2005, the chief at Goldmans was a guy called Hank Paulson and he helped write the banks environmental policy. His view was that no policies could stop solve global climate change problems. So then later they go on to invest in wind power, renewable diesel and solar power, see where this is going?

Goldmans owns 10% share of Chicago nClimate Exchange where the credits will be traded and also has a stake in Blue Source LLC, a company that sells credits. Al Gore started the company General Investment Management with 3 ex Goldmanites: Blood, Ferguson & Harriss where they will invest in carbon offsets. You couldn't make this stuff up "Blood & Gore" oh FFS.....

So there you go, Instead of the government making money by tax levvies on the worlds worst polluters, Goldmans have, over the years cleverly manipulated this thing into a commodities market that private interests on Wall Street will profit from.
So now the bank gets the tax payers dollars but cuts the middle man out. If they dont get it passed through the house in this form they will get it in some other, their track record speaks for its self.

They are setting themselves to squeeze every last tax dollar out of polluting our childrens planet to the max and when that stops they will have a nice little earner going within green energy industry.

Since 1929, Goldmans have been manipulating markets and creating bubbles and earning Billions whilst doing it. At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask!!

PEACE,
RK

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I applaud your summary of the issue!

I would like to add one small wrinkle.

The polluting companies will not 'pay' per se.

It will be those end-consumers (like us - the tax-payers) who will face the rising prices of energy and goods.

Corporate and other business models will conduct business in such a manner as to pass any new 'expense' to the product "cost" (the price for you and me).

As prices rise and demand falls, the prices will rise again, and the governmetn will be blamed.

In the end, we will discover that no amount of cap and trade mathematical gymnastics were going to affect the carbon levels in the atmosphere in any meaningful way. With issues like the Sun as well as a weakening ecosystem in play, carbon emissions are moot.

It will make many private interests much wealthier than they already are..., but then...,, most of us knew that was the whole point all along.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thanks for your input,
Put simply, I guess it is just another example of how the corporatocracy never fails to exploit a disaster so that they can get maximum financial benefit.
After each and every one of us is shafted by them through the Global financial crisis, they unnveil their next SCAM.
It's well past the time for mass public demonstration against this kind of sh!t.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Great Post!!

I have been screaming this for months.....

Is Global Warming real or not...... IT DOESN"T MATTER (STOP ARGUING ABOUT IT!) because this non-solution is a freeking SCAM and will do nothing but make paper traders rich... at our expense.

Not 1 ton of CO2 will be sequestered. But a whole sh it ton of money will be made by the paper traders... who in turn... fund the politicians who made it happen.... who in turn provide "green money" to hand picked companies... who in turn fund the politicians re-election fund for giving them money.

Nice cycle of wealth and prosperity.... for them.. LOL

SCAM for Money, Power, Influence = Cap & Trade

[edit on 22-7-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Awesome guys, these have been a darn good summary of the Waxman-Markey Climate Energy Bill, also known as the Cap and Tax, or Trade. Heres another good article.
www.grist.org...
I actually wrote to my Reps. on this one. And I actually got a letter back from both of them.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Thanks for that IL,
What I find so difficult to swallow is the fact that if this all goes through and we put a price on pollution.

POLLUTION = PROFIT

and as long as that is the case, there will be no real Government or business incentive to "clean up quick" as they will prolong it as much as they can to squeeze every last dollar out of it, just like the Oil SCAM.

Sometimes it makes me want to cry.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by johnnyflip

Excellent link Johnny, a very factual explanation

PEACE,
RK

new topics

top topics

join