It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schoolgirl, 13, arrested after sub-machine gun found in her wardrobe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by austra

As has been already pointed out, you're wrong.

Furthermore, the point you are trying to make - you happened to mix up "assault rifle" with "assault weapon" - is also wrong. Every bit of legislation that uses the term assault weapon delineates exactly what that term means, or refers to definitions made in previous legislation. Often this does vary state-by-state, but hey, 10th amendment.

Now if you want to take issue with the definitions used, go ahead, but don't lie our your lower orifice about how there is no definition.

CX

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Looks like it may be a replica, they are seeing if it had been converted.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "The weapon is believed to be a replica, but we currently await results of a forensic examination.

"A girl aged 13 years was arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm and taken to a south London police station. She has been bailed to return.

"We have subsequently arrested a 19-year-old man on suspicion of possession of a firearm.

Source: P olice Find 'Machine Gun' In Girl's Bedroom

CX.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

How long does it take to decide whether something is a replica or a functioning firearm? Like 30 seconds? They make it sound like the apes discovering the monolith in A Space Odyssey or something. Scream and beat it with a femur.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Guys, notice how the article notes that not only is the gun NOT a submachine gun, or a machine gun, or an assault rifle, or even a semiautomatic rifle- it is, in fact, a replica. A prop or toy- like an airsoft gun. This is a total joke. An article with a sensational headline that is really about finding a toy gun in a kid's closet.

From the article:
"Forensic experts have begun examining the weapon to find if it had been successfully converted to fire bullets."

A pretty amazing sentence, if you look at it. A "weapon", designed to fire only imaginary bullets, being inspected to see if it could fire real bullets. You cannot "convert" a replica to fire real bullets- anyone who has even a limited grasp of how firearms work understands that. A replica only looks like a gun on the outside. None of the materials or mechanisms required to chamber or fire live ammunition are present in a replica. This is ignorance at its finest.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by moonwilson

They are waiting to see if it's a replica???? The replicas I've sen are made of inferior metal that, if actually accomplished being converted, would probably blow up in your face!

Zindo

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
That's also a very early model of the AR-15 A1, They are already up to Ar-15 A-4, and M-6 in the carbine! It's even got the original model three pronged flash hider and tapered hand guards and no forward assist! It has the first year sight on it also with only windage correction!

Zindo

[edit on 7/22/2009 by ZindoDoone]

Ok, First of all, what are you seeing that I'm not able to see?

From the picture provided, I can't tell if there is a forward-assist or not, and it CERTAINLY looks like a A2 flash-suppressor to me.

I own an AR-15 and I can tell you that there is no way to tell the make from the picture shown.

Do you have ANY IDEA how many mods are available for the AR-15???

The picture lends NO creedence to whether or not this model is semi-only, full-auto, or burst capable. Nor does it indicate vintage, etc.

One thing is for sure. It IS an AR. Caliber could/may have been modified, it has most definately had a barrel AND stock conversion, but nevertheless, it IS an AR. It IS NOT however, an older model. My A4 has an A2 flash-suppressor (and the A1 WAS available upon order), the standard A1 front site, the A4 Tactical rear site (the A1 vintage is STILL an option TODAY) etc.

I'm no expert, but I can ask you to not try to be one if you are not either...

[edit on 7/23/2009 by billybobh3]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone

They are waiting to see if it's a replica???? The replicas I've sen are made of inferior metal that, if actually accomplished being converted, would probably blow up in your face!

Zindo

I assure you that the model that I have (Rock River Arms, Elite CAR-A4) will not (and has not) blow(n) up in my face. As a matter of fact, being former military myself (82nd Airborne Divison [HSB 1/319 Field Artillary Airborne]), I find my personal model SUPERIOR to standard military issue.

'nough said.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
As far as what type of gun it was... Under the picture of the weapons it says this

The M16 assault rifle was found in the schoolgirl's bedroom after police stormed the flat in Croydon, South London

Keep in mind that I know nothing about guns, but I was under the impression that an M16 was different than a sub-machine gun.

I find how it calls it to types of guns in the same article quite funny actually. Sort of a testament to poor fact checking.

That said, I wonder what this kid was doing with such a gun? Was she planning some kind of attack? Did she keep it just for show? Was it stored in her room by a parent? I can only speculate.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Maybe she was John Connor's girlfriend.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Frankly, I dont want to live in a world where a 13 year old girl can't own an assault rifle, ..... I'm kidding, realy though, I'm glad its out of her hands, who knows the carnage she would have unleashed on the world when the next Twilight movie didn't meet her expectations.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

They want to see if it was converted?! Are they morons?! You would have to completely rebuild the gun from the barrel to the action, to do that..

Wow, if the police don't know this.. then I hope they never actually have to use a gun, because Im pretty sure they'll cofuse a training round with a live round.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viking04
defined as follows: a select-fire weapon

Basically right, a weapon that can fire more than one round with one squeeze of a trigger. These are automatic, selectable automatic and metered burst weapons.

The problem is that these are not legal to purchase or use for people without special license or permit. Almost all of the "Assault weapons" that the media talks about are semi automatics that do not fall into that category.

The way they get around that is to call them "Assault STYLE Weapons"

It's technically not a lie but is very misleading if you don't understand the terms.

sneaky sneaky

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
didn't a guy get semt to prison in england about a year or two ago for running a gun factory in his garage converting blank firing ingrim mac 10s into the real thing.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
It looks like an Airsoft Replica. Given the barrel length and that the magazine well is for a 5.56 mag. It doesn't add up for any sixteen variant I've seen. The Uk has turned into 1984 and then some. They seem to be the number one police state nowadays. Talk about Big Brother!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

Wow, if the police don't know this.. then I hope they never actually have to use a gun, because Im pretty sure they'll cofuse a training round with a live round.

I dont think the majority of UK cops have ever touched a real gun let alone fired one. They have special "gun cops" who are allowed to carry and use firearms. Off limits to all others.

Imagine if the UK had banned fire? They'd be burning witches due to lack of understanding in short order.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by billybobh3

Now let me inform you that in my possession right now in my safe is no less than 7 different types of AR's. I compete in Service Rifle competition. If you can't see that the model does not have forward assist or an A-1 flash hider, it's because they changed the picture from one NOT in a plastic bag to one that IS in an evidence bag. I was an Armorer for 15 years. I know exactly what I'm talking about! I am a consultant to two different commercial builders of AR's! It's not my fault that you just now saw the thread and that they changed the picture. Maybe you should ask before you try to make a broad statement about weapons based on owning ONE of a certain type when I have handled thousands!

Zindo

Edit to add: The picture shown now on the 'Mail online' looks to be an Airsoft. The original shown was a stock file picture of an M-16 A-1!

[edit on 7/24/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by Viking04
defined as follows: a select-fire weapon

Basically right, a weapon that can fire more than one round with one squeeze of a trigger. These are automatic, selectable automatic and metered burst weapons.

The problem is that these are not legal to purchase or use for people without special license or permit. Almost all of the "Assault weapons" that the media talks about are semi automatics that do not fall into that category.

The way they get around that is to call them "Assault STYLE Weapons"

It's technically not a lie but is very misleading if you don't understand the terms.

sneaky sneaky

Yes, exactly what I wrote in two sentences. 'select-fire' means exactly that, to those who understand the term. And the MSM doesn't worry about 'Assault-style' They just call it what they think it is and roll on with it. These are the same morons that call a Brad a 'tank' treads+turret+main gun= tank. As a graduate of the Benning School for Boys, the terms, and their misuse, through ignorance or as a canard, are not unfamiliar.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join