It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Just like today, surviving the post-apocalyptic world is going to be a rat race, except in this case the rats may have grown considerably in size, intelligence, and aggression due to all the radiation. At any rate, you’re going to need a way to put food on your plate somehow.
When you think of careers after the # hits the fan, think low-tech. There simply won’t be a whole lot of demand for web designers, software developers, or network engineers. Along the same lines, the career you choose is going to have give people some sort of real, tangible benefit, so you can forget about being an interior decorator, nail technician, or attorney. Our society is an extremely complicated one, with many different levels of complexity when it comes to the job market. Once Armageddon begins things are going to get a hell of a lot simpler, and the economy will go back to more or less what we had during the early middle ages in Europe, only with a lot more mutants and a lot fewer court jesters.
Since jobs are going to revert to their most basic level, your average Joe is probably going to be a farmer, a hunter, a gatherer, or some combination thereof. With any luck, you won’t be an average Joe, allowing you to pursue some of these exciting opportunities.
- Wandering Merchant - Travel from town to town, hawking your wares to pockets of survivors, while buying other stuff back. With any luck you’ll make enough in the difference to get some food and maybe a hooker every now and then.
- Mercenary - If you’ve got an aptitude for violence, you could do a lot worse for yourself than good, honest mercenary work.
- Eccentric Inventor - If you chose Steampunk as your preferred manner of dress, and hot air balloon as your primary means of travel, then Eccentric Inventory is undoubtedly the career path for you.
- Lackey - Think you’d make a good bad guy, but don’t quite have what it takes to lead a gang of violence-fueled ruffians? Consider being a Lackey. Think of it as a management training program for ne’er-do-wells.
- Snake Tamer - Just like the world of today, someone needs to be out there, taming snakes and teaching them to attack passers-by who wander too close to your camp.
- Gladiator - Win the favor of the fickle crowd by savagely mauling your opponent. A great career for out-of-door types.
- Amateur Archaeologist/Scavenger - Someone is going to need to pick the bones of our dead civilization, so why not you? Imagine the fun you’ll have rummaging through all the useless gadgets to try to find something with some intrinsic value.
- Entertainer - People are going to be mighty depressed, what with the total collapse of global society and all, so they’re going to need someone to cheer them up. In exchange for you performing magic tricks or singing top forty music on a homemade guitar, they’ll probably agree not kill and eat you.
- Slave Trader - Profit from human misery!
- Raider - Do you enjoy breaking things, stealing stuff, and killing people? Be a raider and be your own boss. Franchise opportunities abound.
- Prostitute - If the oldest profession can’t survive the apocalypse, you sure as hell aren’t going to. So swallow your pride and put on a smile, big guy, you’ve got some Johns to please.
Originally posted by CookieMonster09
I think that more people will move to the country and become farmers, living off the land. We have a generation gap - My great-grandfather was the last of our family that had farming skills - But these skills can be learned over time and with some specialized reading on the subject.
As society breaks down, look for more and more people to move to the country and seek a quieter, more peaceful life growing their own food.