It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Give me half a tanker of iron and I will give you an ice age.”- Russ George

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by grahag

Originally posted by skeptic_al

Originally posted by SwatMedic
I'd like to see some laboratory testing and data before we let this guy start filling up the oceans with iron.

Test in a lab, if that goes well, test in the field on a very small scale.

Then show us all with the data that this indeed does work.

Then his bandwagon will fill.

There is already millions of tons of Iron on the Ocean floor, it looks
like Planes , Ships and Subs. There in every ocean scattered everywhere.
This doesn't even count the Number of Cars in Rivers
across the Planet. And then there's the empty Food Containers thrown overboard by Ships.

I hope this is sarcasm... Just because something has iron in it doesn't mean it can be "metabolized" by the environment in a way that will effect positive climate change...

Yeah, No

ie: The most well known of all ship wrecks,
Titanic 46,000 Tons is just rusting away and will be absorbed back into the earth
and will all gone in less than another 50 years.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
ochre leeching ?

not just sure what - if any differences in particle size and chemical composition make to the process

but here [ the UK ] ochre leeching [ from coal and fireclay mining ] into the ground water and reiver catchments is viewed as a poloution menace - NOT an climate change benefit

and while it was unchecked - it killed of much marine life in the rivers it blighted

struggling to find a good example picture , this is the best i can manage :

picture linky

see we have been inadvertently pumping iron into the water systerm for decades -

and the government told us it was polution - and forced mine owners to install settling tanks and filtration systems

now people want to deliberatly tip iron into the oceans ?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic_al

phytoplankton are plants - their metabolic system relies on photosythisis - so ` deep wrecks ` like titanic - are no use what so vever as a nutrient source

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Who cares if his idea causes destruction.

Give the man a half a tanker full of iron and let him get on with it I say!

It is not like the ocean isn't already polluted to hell anyways. Let him test his theory.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I'm with the above. Since the seas and the oceans are the natural habitat for tires, cars, ships, nuclear wastes, nuclear tests with tones of radiation, oil etc., why not give him a try to do his job with some natural, after all, iron.
At the end, earth has not a problem. Humans have. Even in a million years the earth with heal. Humans will be long gone by then. Bu ha ha ha ha

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

“Give me half a tanker of iron and I will give you an ice age.”-

Surely there was enough iron in the Titanic alone to make this work ?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
The problem earth faces with global warming is human consumption. It does not help spending huge amounts of money on trying to find a cure, if we are the problem the only way to save the world is to stop living. Humans are like parasites, we create, then destroy and then move on to start all over again. As long as we consume or over consume we will keep damaging the earth. As for any procedures that may help in slowing down this snowball we have created, why not try it?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
global cooling my ass

lol

its hot as heck here, we need an iceage !

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This is a good find.

Phytoplankton is a very good CO2 converter and would definitely be good for

CO2 levels in the oceans which is poisoning fish. It could also help extract CO2 from the atmosphere.

Phytoplankton is also a good source of food for fish species... my question is why large scale experiments are being prevented by certain companies?

This would clearly offer temporary relief; I can't see it being permanent as energy resources will eventually run out!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taikonaut

Originally posted by observe50
I am not a scientist so I don't known the correct termonolgy would it be oygenate or re-oxygenate the water.

wouldn't thousands of tons of .5micron iron powder take up all the free oxygen in the water as it reacts with the salt water and turn to rust?

Yes! This fool has an agenda that does not include the greater picture AT ALL!
We would be far better off if we just encased our congressional dictators in the iron first then dump them somewhere!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by GideonHM

Originally posted by Taikonaut

Originally posted by observe50
I am not a scientist so I don't known the correct termonolgy would it be oygenate or re-oxygenate the water.

wouldn't thousands of tons of .5micron iron powder take up all the free oxygen in the water as it reacts with the salt water and turn to rust?

Yes! This fool has an agenda that does not include the greater picture AT ALL!
We would be far better off if we just encased our congressional dictators in the iron first then dump them somewhere!

The iron would be in the form of hematite or iron oxide IE already have oxidized. The ocean is made of H2O that means that it has 2 oxygen molecules for every hydrogen molecule. Also there is free oxygen in the water. It would be impossible to bind up enough oxygen to cause a major depletion. The volume of iron needed is tiny - absolutely miniscule as compared to the volume of oxygen and water in the oceans.
This planet is 2/3rds covered with water. Think about the numbers.
[edit on 23-7-2009 by badgerprints]

[edit on 23-7-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

“Give me half a tanker of iron and I will give you an ice age.”-

Surely there was enough iron in the Titanic alone to make this work ?

The issue is simply availability. It has to be in a near microscopic form. Finely powdered so that the individual molecules are available to the microscopic organisms. There is probably enough iron in the oceans thousands of times over but it is bound up in solid chunks and not free to be used.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I heard of this years ago - I discussed it with a friend of mine at the time, a marine biologist (bit of an expert with the low end of the food chain actually) and he said he thought it was obvious that it would produce excellent results - not only for global warming, but it would improve fish stocks, that many people knew about it - but he had never heard of anyone getting money to research it.

I think it was once discussed in New Scientist magazine - a fair while back.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

The counter to that is simple. Raise metal prices.
It will benefit countries with immense mineral deposits. Like mine.

I hope this fails. I agree with cap and trade as peasants must not be allowed to have fugly American SUVs. There'd be less accidents from idiot American teenagers with their pathetic 2nd hand sports cars and SUVs that their stupid parents gave them.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
You can also use old car tyres tie them together and release them to the ocean bottom. Car tyres shape is ideal for little fish and other types of aquatic life to use as nests. providing more spots for nesting equals to the marine life advancing in numbers producing more food for the bigger fish which equals more yield for fishing.

So in case that something goes wrong with over seeding of plankton in the marine ecosystem you can have more fish to eat the excess plankton.

Therefore I see no problem with teenagers driving second hand sports cars and SUVs and crashing them all around.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

I hope this fails. I agree with cap and trade as peasants must not be allowed to have fugly American SUVs. There'd be less accidents from idiot American teenagers with their pathetic 2nd hand sports cars and SUVs that their stupid parents gave them.

I don't think the US, or UK are going to have a problem with this in future - they will be lucky to be able to afford shoes - let alone cars.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This iron in the oceans is a result of analysis of the link between volcano erruptions and increased algae blooms as a result of the iron rich ash fall out from the pyroclastic flows.

They simply copied nature in this and spread the material in the ocean by a ship instead of it falling from a volcano eruption. I think the argument that this technical fix is tampering with nature and thus is bad somehow is just ignorant.

We tamper with nature every time we add nutrients to the food chain. We also call this practice farming. Perhaps with this argument that ocean iron seeding is messing with nature then we should by extension of this argument stop all farming for the same reason.

That sure seems impractical and just plain ignorant to me. People will farm the oceans or we will end up depleting them to try and feed ourselves. The elitist answer is to rid the planet of people to bring back a natural balance.

This way they can have expensive homes up in the wilderness without fear that someone would chop down some trees for their home of to farm for food. Got to protect the wilderness to the rich will have places for their retreats but all of us useless people just have to die of some man made pandemic for the good of the planet of course.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by wayouttheredude]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
AGW taxation will keep America out of the red. What do you expect, no one said anything while Bush was cutting taxes on record levels and spending like hell. Bushes Medicare B has already broken the system and we can’t undo it. The funds have to come from some place.

Truth hurts, but Medicare B was legislation for big Pharma by big Pharma. Make no mistake friends everyone knew it would break the system AGW was already staged to bridge the gap and cover the cost.

America is for sale friends and it always has been. Money talks and bull# walks.

You ever heard about the Diamond mining company that wanted to mine the Arkansas public diamond mine? Legislation existed which protected the publically owned mine, and ensured that it could never be exploited or taken from public use “This was an open/working park mind you”. To make the story short this company lined a few pockets and had legislation past that gave them full and sole access to the mine.

The only reason we can still hunt for diamonds there is the fact that the company after some experimental digging found the mine to be not commercially viable. Not enough carets per ton.

It’s all for sale, big business rules the roost in America. Capitalism at its finest.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Donkey_Dean]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
I think that Iron Oxide seeding in moderate amounts will do good. Whoever said that dumping Iron oxide in the oceans will cause dead zones due to these blooms, obviously doesn't know about the Plant Plankton. Iron Oxide will allow growth of Phytoplankton, it causes those parts of the ocean to turn green. These little guys make oxygen, not take it out of the ocean. More O2, more life (at least that is the theory).

Take a look at this article, I know it is from 2002, but at least it does give results from the natural dumping of dust in the ocean via the jet stream. Now the dust has more then just iron oxide, I know this, but it has produced a bloom which is worthy to note.

Asian dust storm causes plankton to bloom in the North Pacific

I don't think they "make" oxygen actually; they take in the CO2 and release the O2 back into the atmosphere. And then they become fish food. The iron seeding is interesting, but I would surely like to know that we wouldn't be creating other problems. I think we should view this with extreme caution.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by pieman
we screw around with a complex system we don't fully understand

fixing an imbalance we caused by creating an imbalance elsewhere seems like a stupid idea to me

something that is hugely popular with the childish mind

Strangely enough this seemed to be the same type of thing that the opponents were saying.

The problem is that the damage is done. If we can actually fix it instead of using the situation to control people and their money by forcing huge expenditures on "carbon reduction" ,which we know won't happen successrfully, then why not actually find a solution? This seems to be a better place to go and do research and find out some facts. It's better than taking some type of "high ground" to tell everybody who doesn't agree with you that they are "childish"

The oceans are already in a poor state because of overfishing and trillions of tons of crap that has been pumped into them by man. If man finds something that will actually repair some of the damage, how is it a "stupid idea" as you so succinctly put it?

By the way, thanks for your openminded and mature contribution to what I hoped would be an interesting subject.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by badgerprints]

REPLY: The damage is done? The air in America is cleaner now than it was before the industrial revolution; Co2 is plant food, not a pollutant. Since the Globalonyists say Co2 is still increasing, why did the Earth stop warming in 1998? The year 2006, alone, because of the cooler temps, wiped out 100 years of "global warming."

There is no climate model that actually works to show or predict anything correctly Earths climate is controlled by the reaction of water vapor and Solar activity; why do they conveniently leave water vapor out of the equation when they do their studies?
Global warming is the largest hoax ever committed upon a world wide population.

The latest study:
canadafreepress.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join