It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jupiter Smashed, NASA Confirms, Leaving Scar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Jupiter Smashed, NASA Confirms, Leaving Scar

A dark scar near the planet's southern polar region, first noticed by an amateur astronomer in Australia, is believed to have been caused by a comet crashing into the giant planet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
A dark scar near the planet's southern polar region, first noticed by an amateur astronomer in Australia, is believed to have been caused by a comet crashing into the giant planet.

i was just going on discovery.com to browse around and i saw this here i thought it was interesting so i submitted it here

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
here's the website

dsc.discovery.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
You can't see the surface of Jupiter - you can only see it's atmosphere.

I doubt NASA or anyone saw a scar of the surface of Jupiter. And you can't 'scar' a gas cloud....

Have anyone here ever seen an image of surface features on Jupiter?

...you haven't. No one has.

Edit: Starred and Flagged!

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

It is indeed possible to scar the atmosphere of Jupiter with comets.

en.wikipedia.org...

Jupter is mostly gas - surface refers to the surface of the atmosphere.

[edit on 22/7/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

Jupter is mostly gas - surface refers to the surface of the atmosphere.

I noticed that.

Normally 'Surface of.. ' a planet is used in reference to the actual 'surface of a planet'

...So this article is not based on picture of the surface of the Planet Jupiter, but is about images of Jupiter's atmosphere and the effects of an impact on that.

That is called being disingenuous - It sells.

"Jupiter Smashed, NASA Confirms, Leaving Scar"

-No image of the impact site, just pics of the atmosphere above it and some discussion about that....

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
That sure as hell could have been us. Nobody even saw this thing coming.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevedel0
Nobody even saw this thing coming.

Remember the military denied access to their satellites awhile back.

Chances are the public will never know about the object that will kill them all.

Imagine if you tell the world that they are all gonna die - then the thing doesn't hit....

..You would still have a big mess to clean up. Maybe even a nuclear conflagration or two might happen.

Better to say nothing and try to shoot it down with our top secret War-Decisive technologies.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Since Jupiter is made mostly of gas ( I think ), wouldn't that magnify the explosion alot?

The "scar" it left behind is bigger than Earth they say, but perhaps if it would have hit Earth the crater wouldn't have been just as big.

Well, atleast hopr that.

Kinda scary. I begin to doubt that we ever would recive a warning if it headed towards us. Even if some new they would cover it up.
Can you imaging the panic around the world?

Gee...

*shivers*

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   

The satellites that scientists were denied access to do not look into space, they look toward the Earth. The only asteroid they would see is the one about to land on your house.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The only asteroid they would see is the one about to land on your house.

Wrong again, Phage.

Those satellites could be used to detect the preceding meteoric bombardment that can accompany an asteroid strike.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   

How much warning do these alleged precursors provide?
Source please.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Are you saying the satellites the military withdrew civilian access to could not be used to detect the preceding meteoric bombardment that can precede an asteroid strike?

Phage....

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

No.

I'm asking you if the warning provided by such a detection would be early enough to be of any value whatsoever.

I'm also asking you for a source to confirm your claim that there are such "preceding meteoric bombardments".

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
I'm asking you if the warning provided by such a detection would be early enough to be of any value whatsoever.

Do you feel that the truth is of no value?

If the world was going to end, I'd want to know - even if I only had enough time to let my family know I loved them.

That time would be valuable.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   

No answer huh?
I thought not.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Since you didn't answer, I'll ask again:

Do you believe the satellites the military withdrew civilian access to could be used to detect the preceding meteoric bombardment that often precedes an asteroid strike?

Is this your determination?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Do you believe the satellites the military withdrew civilian access to could be used to detect the preceding meteoric bombardment that often precedes an asteroid strike?

There is? I've seen it in movies but why should there be any correlation? Can't a wayward rock just come crashing in without smaller ones hitting first?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
Can't a wayward rock just come crashing in without smaller ones hitting first?

Absolutely.

The circumstances required to produce an asteroid on course for earth and with precursors - like the one I mentioned - would be much less likely to occur than any other asteroid-strike scenario.

It is far more likely that we would be hit by a lone rock.

Edit: Check out what Old Hoagland had to say about the other black spot which appeared on Jupiter back in 2003. He theorizes that the Fissile material on Galileo may have caused it:

Did NASA Accidentally “Nuke” Jupiter?

September 21st: Galileo enters Jupiter’s atmosphere at over 30 miles per second. It is traveling almost in the plane of Jupiter’s equator, at an angle of about 22 degrees to the horizontal.

As the more fragile parts of the spacecraft disintegrate from the enormous entry temperatures and pressures, its two 4-ft long, 124-lb RTGs – each containing 72 individual plutonium-238 capsules – separate from the main spacecraft.

Soon, the relatively fragile aluminum housing of the two RTG canisters also melts away, releasing the 144 individually sealed plutonium-238 capsules … to continue plunging deeper into Jupiter’s atmosphere on their own.

Because of their high-temperature, multi-layer containment – each capsule is clad in iridium (melting temperature 4435 F), encasing a floating boran-graphite membrane (melting temperature 6422° F) , in which the plutonium-238 pellets are individually sealed -- most of the plutonium capsules are NOT destroyed by Galielo’s violent entry, but in fact survive … and slow to an aerodynamic fall in the thickening Jovian atmosphere.

*I'd nuke Jupiter if I could; In the name of science and for the good of all mankind. Saturn would be next.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Just to throw in a synchronicity card. The kind that makes rational people roll their eyes. I want to point out the following.

An apparition of Bowman appears before Floyd (shaping itself from dust), warning him that they must leave Jupiter within fifteen days. Floyd has difficulty convincing the rest of the crew, at first, but then the monolith vanishes from orbit and a mysterious dark spot on Jupiter begins to form and starts growing. HAL's telescope observations reveal that the Great Black Spot is, in fact, a vast population of monoliths, increasing at a geometric rate, which appear to be eating the planet.

2010: Odyssey Two

Though the main article from the OP states that scientists believe the dark scar was caused by a comet impact, and I trust their hypothesis solely because of how far we've advanced scientifically. I can't help but feel a slight shiver at the coincidence from the fact that we're ~5 months away from the year 2010. Yay hollywood!

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Durrilll]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join