It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Males and the divine feminine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Males and the divine feminine

I am a self-described "red-blooded male." I speak and write in a way that often often offends feminists, and to be honest I'm proud of it. I abhor "political correctness" and see the "feminist movement" as fundamentally corrupt, and I have nothing but disdain for the greasy academic word games that define semiotics in general and "discourses of oppression" specifically.

And yet I truly love women, and I have been in a committed relationship for a long time. I never, ever cheat on my woman and I believe in strict morality in that sense. I am devoted to the women in my life and would without a second thought give up my life for the sake of my mother or wife. I also enjoy the intellectual company of women in a non-sexual manner, and respect the talent and intelligence of many women. So I don't think I can rightly be considered a "mysoginist."

Moreover, I find myself spiritually very responsive to the cultus of the divine feminine...I am fascinated by Isis, Inanna, Tara, the Virgin Mary, and so on. I also believe modern religion needs more of the divine feminine and has marginalized this aspect. I seek to plunge its mysteries. I have nothing but the utmost respect for this facet of spirituality.

It seems to me too often that the "divine feminine" is embraced by feminists and females, and not enough males are interested in its depths and power. I would be interested to hear any opinions on this topic for either gender...are there other males responsive to this aspect of spirituality? What do females think about males and their relation to the divine feminine? And so on. Any related comments are welcome.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Nice thread Silent Thunder,

I can relate to what you are saying. Being raised by a mother and two older sisters. I met my wife when i was fourteen and today (i'm 31 now) we are still together. I wouln't dream of cheating on my wife and i have the highest respect for the way she cares for me and our three sons...

For some reason i can get it on with almost every woman i meet and i feel very comfortable in their presence.

I was just thinking the other day that if we would replace every male cop with a female cop. Would we still have police brutality? Are woman able to attack and beat up unarmed innocent people?

I wish that replacing every man, with power or influence, for a female counterpart would solve most of the worlds problems but i'm affraid that the difference between women and men is not as big as we think.

But i will join you i your salute to women all over the world and my deepest respect for every mother!!!!!

S+F for your thread.

Peace

I

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I share similar views with you. I hate Feminist ideology and dislike radical Feminists who preach equality but actually strive for superiority over males in general. It also annoys me how so many people are oblivious to the real intentions behind the Women's Liberation movement and the push for women to have careers in the workplace.

I also love women and have great respect for them. Men and women should be equal in terms of rights and privileges, but we are essentially different in terms of biological and psychological processes. This is not a bad thing, it is often the differences in these areas that help us appreciate each other more and gives us a sense of empathy for the other gender.

At the end of the day, I agree that more males should embrace the idea of the "Divine Feminine." In doing this, I feel more and more males will begin to appreciate and respect the physical, metaphysical and innate beauty that most women resonate onto our world. We definitely need a change in the ways we follow, practice and preach religion in modern times. Perhaps this embracing of the Divine Feminine will be beneficial and prosperous for all of humankind.

[edit on 22/7/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The trouble is that the "divine feminine" is often captured and watered down into meaninglessness, then an attempt is made to use it to try to belittle males. This is why I could never "get" Wicca, any more than I could "get" Christianity. According to the Wiccan sources I had a hold of, the point of the god was to breed, then die. As a male, that was more or less my role, a silent, subsurvient stud to be used and abandoned as needed.

Apparently gender equality for some just means reversing the current inequalities.

What bugs me more is something you (probably unwittingly) stepped in with your own post. Isis, Inanna, Tara, Mary... these are all very distinct theological beings, with hteir own body of myths and culture, their own approaches and mysteries, and yet they, and pretty much every other Goddess (and more than a few gods who got a sudden sex change at an author's whim) get blended into a bland mush of "goddess" who is, all the blahblah taken away, just the Western concept of "god" with a pair of ovaries.

I'm personally more interested in a divine unity, an approach where the who sexes are intertangled and le nd strength to one another.The sacred hermaphrodite is a stronger and much more socially strong archetype.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

When I returned from my death experience and had to relearn everything, my first thought was, what does it mean to be female?

I believe it is a very deep issue. Sadly, I see so many women who believe either consciously or otherwise that to be equal means to become like a man.

I worked for a time in Corporate America, but when my children came I choose a different career, Motherhood, I feel that it is a very honored role and one I take to heart. yet I am amazed how many people, both men and women, so belittle the job, and I feel in so doing, they belittle the true depth of what it means to be female.

The Trinity speaks of Father, Son and Holy Spirit, as we cannot procreate without both male and female I believe the role of the Holy Spirit is the Divine Mother. (Virgin Mary and Parthogenisis comes to mind, but the is another discussion).

The way we treat women on the earth and the earth itself is a telltale sign of how we feel about God as Mother.

I have pondered for many years, why is the greatest hate crime on earth the hatred of women? What did we do that makes us so hated? Why does the male gender hate us?

After all every human comes to earth through the Female body. I feel if we could name the great fear that keeps us from seeing that we are all the same ,especially when we leave our bodies behind, then maybe we could finally remove it from our minds and hearts and get on with the business of being us.

I think it is wonderful to see that many men and women are reaching a Spiritual understanding that we are human becomings and that we can BE regardless of gender.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by spiritwomyn
I'm personally more interested in a divine unity, an approach where the who sexes are intertangled and le nd strength to one another.The sacred hermaphrodite is a stronger and much more socially strong archetype.

You might be interested in This thread that I started a while ago about the hemaphroditic aspects of spirituality...

[edit on 7/22/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
"Heretical" Gnostic Gospel of Thomas

(11) Jesus said, "This heaven will pass away, and the one above it will pass away. The dead are not alive, and the living will not die. In the days when you consumed what is dead, you made it what is alive. When you come to dwell in the light, what will you do? On the day when you were one you became two. But when you become two, what will you do?"

(22) Jesus saw infants being suckled. He said to his disciples, "These infants being suckled are like those who enter the kingdom."
They said to him, "Shall we then, as children, enter the kingdom?"
Jesus said to them, "When you make the two one, and when you make the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside, and the above like the below, and when you make the male and the female one and the same, so that the male not be male nor the female female; and when you fashion eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in place of a hand, and a foot in place of a foot, and a likeness in place of a likeness; then will you enter the kingdom."

www.gnosis.org...

[edit on 22-7-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by spiritwomyn

The way we treat women on the earth and the earth itself is a telltale sign of how we feel about God as Mother.

Hi
I'm happy to have the opportunity to add my voice here.
I agree with the idea "divine feminine". Women give life, God (if exists) give Life. At the deepest level, God is feminine for me.
I also think that we males must acknowledge that in the womb we begin as a female body. Science demonstrate this.

I don't want to speak for anybody, but although I am a happy heterosexual male, I'd like to present my apologies to all Women and Girls for the horrors and pain we males inflicted (and still inflict) to them. Of course girls, you are not saints :-) but we males have a bad disposition for domination and violence. I can feel inside of me these dark feelings. I suppose it's the way we are (animality, society, gender, ... ?) . I try my best to acknowledge it and to act instead as a Human.

cheers to all my Sisters!!
cheers to all my Brothers!
God (if exists) be with us!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritwomyn

I worked for a time in Corporate America, but when my children came I choose a different career, Motherhood, I feel that it is a very honored role and one I take to heart. yet I am amazed how many people, both men and women, so belittle the job, and I feel in so doing, they belittle the true depth of what it means to be female.

I've had the same experience (minus Corporate America). Many times I've heard the "you don't have a job?" or "why don't you get a job to get yourself out of the house?" comments. I really don't know how to respond to that. I actually work at home writing and editing (as I've always wanted to do). When I was first getting started, a friend told me I should get a job with her as a teller at a bank...

I don't want to be all woe-is-me, but I think it is very difficult to go through an education system (and upbringing in society in general) that encourages girls to "do anything a man can do" with very little affirmation of being a mother and wife. Sometimes I feel I have failed as a woman for not "contributing to society" and then I feel I have failed as a mother for even feeling like I should be doing something else.

I really appreciate this thread. Very much. I think much of our society really misunderstands what "feminine" is. When I see scantily-clad women shaking their bums in music videos as if that is what it is to be a liberated woman, I get infuriated. Yes, they seem to be confident about their appearance, but... I don't like thinking that everyone else is thinking that's what a woman is and ought to be. And I am apparently a prude for feeling that way. I just can't win!

Anyway, we need a balance, that's for sure. Within ourselves and in our society. Everyone has masculine and feminine qualities, I think relationships are meant to help us appreciate and balance the two. Honestly, I think we're confused about both masculinity and femininity, and it affects the whole world.

[edit on 7/22/2009 by eMachine]

top topics

join