It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Michael Moore's reply to Disney's behavior

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   
The following letter is the latest reply and explanation from Michael Moore regarding Disney's refusal to distribute his latest film "Farenheit 9/11". I recieved this not long ago, from Michael Moore's mailing list.

While there has been much debate as to wether Michael Moore has been using this as a publicity stunt, or knew a year ago, The following letter details from his perspective the behavior of Disney throughout the making of this movie.

I find it interesting that while Disney supposedly refused to distribute the film from the beginning, they kept funding the project. Why would funding continue for a project you never intend to distribute?

When You Wish Upon A Star... by Michael Moore

May 7th, 2004

Friends,

Thank you for all the incredible letters of support as my film crew and I once again slog our way through the corporate media madhouse. Does it ever end? Are we ever going to get control of our "free press" again? Can you wish upon a star?

www.michaelmoore.com...

P.S. Be sure to check out yesterday's New York Times Editorial, "Disney's Craven Behavior"

NYTimes.com

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Well, it's obvious that Moore is an old school democrat, he's dumb enough to believe his own press releases. I find it really interesting how he can confuse a free market society with freedom of the press. Must be lots of drugs buried in his past!!

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I am so sick of Michael Moore and his BS propoganda.

His rights, nor freedom of speech, were violated. Disney had every right not to publish his movie.

He had the option of hundreds of other companies to go to and release the film. yet he wants to whine about Disney.

I dont like Disney either, but as a private company, they have the right to pick and choose whatever they want to release, ect.

Disney is NOT a govornment entity. Nor are they the only company in existance.

Thus, no rights were violated, if anything Michael Moore is trying to supress Disneys freedom of choice.

And WHY in the nine hells did he choose DISNEY? I mean, comon. he of all people knew there would be problems down the road. Get real! i think he picked Disney specifically so they would reject releasing the film, just so he could stir up controversy and get publicity. Classic case of a provacateur.

if the govornment had banned the movie, that would be supression of freedom of speech. But they didnt. he still has the option of releasing the film.

He could have chose a company he knew would be more friendly to his interests, and would publish it. But he didn,t that shows hes more interested in stirring up controversy than he is in actually getting any sort of message across.

Screw him. The guy is a pure moron on some drugs so bad, even the ELF wouldnt think of smoking them!

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Moore just doesn't work like that (that, of course, being the application of common sense). He is, as was stated, a classic provacateur, forging artificial situations and letting on about only the bits that further his own twisted agenda.

I don't know about the drugs, meself... had a couple of wonderful, wonderful prescription sleeping pills (legally prescribed, obtained, and taken), and I feel like the last hour of a night spent with Mary Jane right now.

Whatever he's taking, it's evil. Pure, concentrated evil.

Maybe Pepsi.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The other part of his old school democrat problem is that he expects somebody to give him everything he wants. He just can't play by the rules that are good enough for most of the rest of us.
MM

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I LOVE how angry Mike Moore makes you people.

I wouldn't even like him if he didn't yank your chains so much. I'm sure he appreciates the continued ravings and attacks all the way to the bank.

Cha-ching!

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
He of course chose disney for a reason. Disney is a family type of entertainment house, they would probably never touch this type of movie with a 10 foot pole. It is not really in their genre. It of course is for publicity.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I said it when clear channel dropped Stern (even though I'm a big fan) and I'll say it again. Freedom of speech is the freedom to make a statement not the freedom to force anyone else to hear it or repeat it.

Disney isn't trying to supress Mr. Moore but have every right to say no to working with him for any reason. I'm sure he's not the first person they have passed on either.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Fools!
Moore didn't "pick Disney." He signed with Miramax. Disney bought Miramax to diversify it's base away from it's historic "family" entertainment. The embattled Eisener is doing everything he can to save his job. Making this political statement is required to attempt to save face with the Florida Executive Branch. Can't blame Eisener for that, it is after all an empty gesture as the film will be released regardless.

Come on people! If you don't want to see the film, DON'T!

P.S. I know I'm not the greatest speller in the World, I at least proof-read my posts. Some of you illiterates should have your Momies do the same for you.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
You fuss at others' grammar and then write "Momies"? Unbelievable!

"Come on people! If you don't want to see the film, DON'T!"
I don't believe anyone was saying Moore's crap should not be released, I think what the other members were saying is how Moore is a liar with an agenda. He is lacking in the moral ability to deal straight with the facts as the facts aren't good enough, he has to twist and pervert the truth in order to support his beliefs. If you have to lie to support your position, your position isn't really worth supporting.
Or is it deeper than that? Is there more to the agenda of his? Should I rephrase that, and call it the Agenda, and it isn't his, but he that is owned?

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
TC, You don't have an agenda? Where is your objectivity?

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
What was wrong with "Bowling for Columbine"? I thought it painted a very accurate picture about the modern U.S. society. Prove him wrong with some facts people. Is gun related violence in the U.S. not out of control? Is your government(I'm from Canada) not condoning very illegal operations in the name of "Fighting the war on terror"? What kind of message does this send to John Q Taxpayer, well # the government does it, why can't I. I know this is very simplistic, but there are a lot of simple people out there.

I think the original story about Eisner not wanting to rock the boat with Jeb was probably fairly accurate. No one ever knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Didn't "Fareinheit 911" win the highest award at Cannes.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by DEEZNUTZ]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Now would you rather have a film maker *supposedly* twisting the truth ( i personally think he makes for good educational entertainment ). or how about a PRESIDENT that can twist and morph anything he wants (or anything he's told). Its really too bad that nobody wants to believe people who dont lie and then not believe someone who has something intelligent to say... but the people who have the most power are the biggest liars of all.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by insanenay]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
But Fox TV told me Micheal Moore was a liar! So did Bush. If our messiah said so then it must be true. Micheal Morre is the anti christ!! god told me.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DEEZNUTZ
What was wrong with "Bowling for Columbine"? I thought it painted a very accurate picture about the modern U.S. society. Prove him wrong with some facts people. Is gun related violence in the U.S. not out of control? Is your government(I'm from Canada) not condoning very illegal operations in the name of "Fighting the war on terror"? What kind of message does this send to John Q Taxpayer, well # the government does it, why can't I. I know this is very simplistic, but there are a lot of simple people out there.

I think the original story about Eisner not wanting to rock the boat with Jeb was probably fairly accurate. No one ever knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Didn't "Fareinheit 911" win the highest award at Cannes.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by DEEZNUTZ]

www.bowlingfortruth.com...

Why dont you try and do a little research before whining that things should be handed to you on a silver platter. Only reason you think Moore's films are an accurate portrayal of American society is because those films are targeted for ignorant and gullible people. As far as winning awards overseas.....you are talking about the Cannes film festival. The French will embrace anything that has any hint of Anti-American sentiment. It makes them feel more secure about not being secure....in their military, economy and international power.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I hope that Miramax thinks that it got its money's worth for purchasing the distribution rights from Disney. Since the film's appearance at Cannes, it has also appeared on P2P networks in several languages.
Oddly, the qeues aren't very long.

Much like the other op-ed-umentary "Bowling For Columbine", "Fahrenheit" was barely worth the download (or so I hear, wink-wink-nod-nod).

I'm waiting for Moore to do a film on "illegal" file sharing. I'm sure he'll blame the Bush administration for that too.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by fawlty
Only reason you think Moore's films are an accurate portrayal of American society is because those films are targeted for ignorant and gullible people. As far as winning awards overseas.....you are talking about the Cannes film festival. The French will embrace anything that has any hint of Anti-American sentiment. It makes them feel more secure about not being secure....in their military, economy and international power.

I liked the juxtaposition here, of accusations of ignorance and gullibility followed by an ignorant statement.

French judges have as much influence on the Palme d'Or in Cannes as French astronauts had on the Apollo 11 lunar landing.

Sadness reigns for people looking for truth on this thread.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Originally posted by fawlty
Only reason you think Moore's films are an accurate portrayal of American society is because those films are targeted for ignorant and gullible people. As far as winning awards overseas.....you are talking about the Cannes film festival. The French will embrace anything that has any hint of Anti-American sentiment. It makes them feel more secure about not being secure....in their military, economy and international power.

I liked the juxtaposition here, of accusations of ignorance and gullibility followed by an ignorant statement.

French judges have as much influence on the Palme d'Or in Cannes as French astronauts had on the Apollo 11 lunar landing.

Sadness reigns for people looking for truth on this thread.

The French created the Cannes film festival. It is their show. I did not specifically mention judges anywhere did I? French sentiment taints the entire festival. There is a definite Anti-American sentiment in France. It is the environment which creates the putrid outcome, not the specific process.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 02:13 AM
link   
There is Anti-American sentiment in most of Europe. ..not that I'll lose any sleep over that.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by insanenay
Now would you rather have a film maker *supposedly* twisting the truth ( i personally think he makes for good educational entertainment ). or how about a PRESIDENT that can twist and morph anything he wants (or anything he's told). Its really too bad that nobody wants to believe people who dont lie and then not believe someone who has something intelligent to say... but the people who have the most power are the biggest liars of all.

What Michal Moore is doing on his documentarys is no diffrent than what the media does every single day. They use the gift of editing to give themseves a stronger case. I dont think you have any right to call tha man a liar or a hypocrit. Show me someone that he has intervewd come out and say that they were lieing or that they were misrepresented. For anyone who wants to argue about Moore winning at an awards cerimoney in France, six out of the nine judges (or somthing close to those numbers) at the awards cerimoney were infact American.

Michal Moore is under Mirimax films wich is a divison of Disney. They produce dozens of R rated movies, so please explain to me what the big deal is about letting a (non violent, non sexual) documentary into theaters? The reason is Disney gets tax evasion from good old Jeb BUSH. If they release a film that slanders his brother im sure he will not be so thrilled. Disney is not willing to take that chance.

Prove him wrong with some facts people.

There is a good idea. So far all ive been seeing is nothing but childish name calling. I have looked at a few things on the 'Bowling for Truth' site, but I see no major arguments agenst Moore or documentary. Its just someone Nit Picking at parts of the movie that he dissagrees with. It offers no evidence that Moore's documentary was untrue. What it does have tho, is allot more childish name calling.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join