It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relenza(Tamiflu's competitor) sales fell %80 in 2008, you won't believe why!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I must give credit to Seany's Tamiflu Maufacturing Predicted a 531% Sales Increase in 2009 !! for inspiring me into being a bit nosey.

It turns out that sales of GlaxoSmithKline's Relenza (Tamiflu's major competitor) fell %80 in 2008.

According to the page 36 of the 2008 GSK report:

Sales of flu anti-viral Relenza fell %80 to £57 million reflecting fewer government orders for pre-pandemic stockpiling.

GKS 2008 report page 37

On page 37 you can see a table that shows in 2007 total sales of Relenza totalled £262 million. A staggering reduction. In 2008, compared to 2007 the US alone reduced it's uptake by %86.

Which is strange seeing as the Washington Post reported that Many States Do Not Meet Readiness Standards in May 2009.

About Relenza
Clinicall Info - Relenza EMC

I find the drastic drop interesting, but am not too sure what to make of it.

Relenza has been in production since 1999 and has a shelf life of 7 years (see info link above), is it possible that it was just time to replenish/replace stocks in 2007? It strikes me as a little too coincidental.

I suggest that that worldwide, TPTB knew something was on the horizon and bought up big OR they were buying as normal and got wind of a pandemic and STOPPED buying.

It just doesn't seem plausable that an %80 reduction in Relenza sales should precede (by chance) a pandemic of the very disease that it is meant to fight.

Or am I just seeing shadows?

Whatever you think, sales for 2009 will be vastly increased:

Glaxo’s Relenza Beat Rival Tamiflu in Stockpile Sales

Bloombergnew.com — GlaxoSmithKline Plc’s flu drug Relenza beat Roche Holding AG’s Tamiflu in sales to governments for the first time last quarter, a sign authorities are seeking a broader range of medicines to protect against a pandemic.

Government orders of Relenza were 20 percent higher than those for Tamiflu in the first quarter, according to data from both companies released before the current swine flu outbreak.

Demand for Relenza was stoked by reports of widespread resistance of H1N1, a common seasonal flu virus, to Tamiflu. The U.K. and Japan increased orders for the drug to prepare for a possible influenza pandemic on concern Tamiflu-evading seasonal flu could exchange genes with a pandemic strain, making that pill a weaker weapon against a global contagion. Almost all H1N1 samples tested last winter were resistant to Tamiflu, the World Health Organization said.

Now look at this, compared to the sales in 2007 when there was no Swine Flu.

Governments ordered about 220 million pounds ($322 million) of Relenza in the three months ending in March, Rea said. That compares with orders for Tamiflu of 304 million francs ($266 million), Basel, Switzerland-based Roche said April 17.

Amazing, maybe they stopped selling (or government insiders working for GKS reduced orders) in 2008 so that they could sell at a premium when in demand in 2009? Imagine how supply and demand would affect the price of Relenza once a Pandemic was confirmed by WHO.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Except the part where Relenza does not really "fight" the flu. All it does is simply slow it down a little bit, as it is a neuraminidase inhibitor. Zanamivir (Relenza) is actually far safer to take than Oseltamivir (Tamiflu) as Tamiflu can be quite deadly.

If you would like to know more about these antiviral drugs and what they do to your body, I highly suggest taking a look over my old thread.

"WARNING Antiviral Drugs May Kill You!"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is a small quote from the thread.

""Do Antivirals cure the H1N1"Swine Flu"?

No- Antivirals like Tamiflu and Relenza do not cure anything, it is used to SLOW DOWN the development of the disease. You will not be cured, as this is only a treatment that slows down the virus.

Do Antivirals replace vaccines?
No- They are not vaccines. ""

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I wasn't speaking medically when I said "fight", but rather in general terms with regards to patients etc. But thanks for the info and links to your thread, very interesting.

I just think that the timing of this sales decrease is odd, there is something going on here, I'll keep looking to see if I can find any evidence of market manipulation or forknowledge of the pandemic.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

I've tracked down the report for 2007 here (page 20 of 32).

In it GSK mentions the £262 million sales of Relenza, up from £91 million in 2006.

They say in the report that such an increase was 'driven primarily by one-off government orders for stock piling against a possible flu pandemic.'

They knew it was coming, this was not just a precautionary measure. I'm sure of it.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

new topics

top topics

join