It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to expand Army

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Yeah exactly, Obama said we would pull out.
But apparently he was just giving us advice about sex.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

a new recruit makes the equivalent of about $8.30 an hour?!

That's less than the average Wal Mart employee. You're 100% correct, our troops deserve better than that.

TA

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I highly doubt there will ever be a draft again until World War III breaks out. And even then it'll take an enormous amount of public backing to the point where a draft would only be supplementing massive numbers of volunteers. The reason being is that the US strategy no longer relies on enormous numbers to overwhelm the enemy. We're at the point where the quality of our force is high enough where it's now detrimental for us to start adding in people that don't want to be there.

The US military has been under the all volunteer force for many years now and the results speak for themselves. It's simply not in the best interest for anyone, including the Army to start a draft.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
We wouldn't NEED a larger military if we had some COMBAT-EXPERIENCED Generals who could actually get out there in the field, and LEAD.

American Generals need large numbers to conceal their incompetence.

Large enough numbers conceal GROSS incompetence.

We don't need more troops.

We need canny combat leaders who know how to get the job done, kill their enemies with unbounded authority, get it done efficiently, done quickly, AND thoroughly, and then all our troops can come home until another enemy rears his head.

Success kissing the right political puckers, success working the Washington cocktail circuit, pristine performance reports, and avoiding all conflict are NOT the criteria for a successful combat leader.

But that's how you make general in the US Army.

Our generals look pretty, speak pretty tough, and have wonderful PowerPoint presentation skills, but I wouldn't trust one to lead a two-hole outhouse breakout.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

He's not going to do anything other than what TPTB tell him, including continuing the war effort. He's a puppet and nothing more. We'll continue fighting until they say it's time to stop and not a moment sooner.

TA

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by cyberdude78

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I highly doubt there will ever be a draft again until World War III breaks out. And even then it'll take an enormous amount of public backing to the point where a draft would only be supplementing massive numbers of volunteers. The reason being is that the US strategy no longer relies on enormous numbers to overwhelm the enemy. We're at the point where the quality of our force is high enough where it's now detrimental for us to start adding in people that don't want to be there.

The US military has been under the all volunteer force for many years now and the results speak for themselves. It's simply not in the best interest for anyone, including the Army to start a draft.

Bingo

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I think many kids just graduating from high school are already being (inadvertently) forced to go into the military, because of simply having no other options and their parents can't afford to keep supporting them.

My nephew just graduated and joined the National Guard. My cousin's son who just graduated joined the Army. It's not uncommon for this rural area where there is really nowhere to get a job besides factories (many of which are being forced to shut down) and WalMart or gas stations.

It's always been that way here, but I think enlistment for this area is increasing more and more due to the economy alone. Part of me think this is why a draft isn't really necessary.

Thanks for the thread.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I think the additional troops are a good thing. The best kind of military to have is one so intimidating you do not have to use it. True it is mainly our technology that they fear, the additional numbers will not hurt. They ought to tighten that standards back up a bit and go back to a more stress inducing basic training (being able to maintain and continue under stress is a keyfundimental to being a strong soldier. It was a mistake to light'n up on them.....that is for another thread). I do not think they will have much of a problem getting recruites with as tuff as the job market is. I Joined the Army in 2002, national guard in 2007....I will be going back active as soon as I get out of Iraq with this civilian contractor

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
reply to post by Rockpuck

a new recruit makes the equivalent of about $8.30 an hour?!

That's less than the average Wal Mart employee. You're 100% correct, our troops deserve better than that.

TA

That's EXACTLY what I said to my g/f .. I was looking at the Coast Guard since I have been unemployed for so long.. and I was shocked at the pay.. literally shocked.. believe it or not, the US Army doesn't even make minimum wage in this state.. I have a new found respect for our service members, they do work harder than anything in the corporate world, yet they make a pittance of what they should..

It really is disgraceful.

Before added benefits:

E-1 $16,794 / year
E-2 $18,824 / year
E-3 $19,749 / year

W-1 $31,140 / year
W-2 $35,472 / year
W-3 $40,089 / year

Just some examples.. (all one year service, add 3.4% per year for seniority)

They want to add 22 thousand soldiers, because our current soldiers are stretched thin, over worked, underpaid and exhausted over these wars of aggression .. but apparently they are content to pay them such poor wages.. sad indeed.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
My 13 year old grandddaughter was approached on the street in town by an army recruiter, asking her if she wanted to know more about the army and maybe join. Um.......yeah, she is mature for her age, but..........she certainly doesn't look like an 18 year old. Sheesh. Yeah, hard economic times will certainly create more available potential recruits to choose from and without a doubt, those same economic factors are great when it comes to increasing the number of soldiers wanted.

As a side note, my first paycheck from the army, in 1980 was for 265 dollars. That was just a bit over 50 cents an hour, considering all the hours I was working. Yeah, I was in basic, but come on!!! It did get better after that, upon graduation and thanks to a a big raise by Jimmy Carter, followed by a few big raises engineered by Ronald Reagan, and of course, increases for being such a damn good soldier and getting a few promotions quickly in a few years.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
What really confuses me about this is the fact that the US has to come to rely a lot more heavily on 'contractors' to do the do, as it were. I realize most of these 'private' guys are security details and such for dignitaries, or whatever it is they're calling them these days, but Last I heard there were thousands of these guys in hot spots all over.

So, is it safe to assume that when we need US boots on the ground that only REGULAR troops will do? If so, would this not indicate that something OTHER than just security detail would be in the works?

Isn't a little strange that it was such a concise number? I mean, wouldn't it make sense, if we were just speculating about increasing the size of the force that we would use a percentage instead of an actual number?

Just thought it a little strange that we would get such an exact figure....like they know precisely where they are going to go already.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
there starting to run everything with joint tasks..meaning you can go from blue to green..airforce/navy to Army..My buddys wife thats in the AF just got sent to Iraq on a joint task with army..She is now under Army command..

Numbers are dropping very fast in the army..and across the board..

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer
I personally joined in 2001 for college money pretty much (although I never made it to college, sadly).

You still have time.

Full time Chapter 30 benefits are around $1300 a month.
The 9/11 Era GI Bill basically pays 100% of your tuition costs and pays about $1000 a month.

Originally posted by Rockpuck
That's EXACTLY what I said to my g/f .. I was looking at the Coast Guard since I have been unemployed for so long.. and I was shocked at the pay.. literally shocked.. believe it or not, the US Army doesn't even make minimum wage in this state..

Your hourly wage is even worse than the salary would indicate, since a lot of military people work a lot more than 40 hours a week.

There are a lot of nice veterans benefits after you get out though.
I get all my health insurance for free through the VA.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

A stretched and sometimes tired force...

Heres a thought, bring Americans back to America. No need to increase our forces. No need to spend more money. No need to waste more lives.

Or

Let the politicians take the place of those that can not go back.

Bush, maybe you can be of use after all. You would work as a great shield...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
It akes 569,000 soldiers to find 1 man? Thats insane!! obama bidladen , of course is the man. Imagine that, hlaf a million soldiers to find 1 man....man is congress and the military confused or what!
Well..sl mcuh for obamas promise of bringing the boys back home..

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I was at Ft. Campbell a couple of months ago ( I work for the Army, civilian now) and spoke to a sgt there while we were working. I asked him about the economy and if he had seen any effects with new people comming in.
He took me to a part of the building where some of the new folks were unloading materials and pointed out him, her, him, him, her, her. . . etc. these folks were all over 30 and were in because of jobs they lost.

I know this isn't a thread about Obama so I'll hold back some of my vitriol, but at the rate he's tanking the economy, the Army won't have ANY problem meeting its quota.

This is just my humble opinion. . . .

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer
I personally joined in 2001 for college money pretty much (although I never made it to college, sadly).

You still have time.

I know. I ended up having a kid with my wife and I have to work my ass off six days a week now to support us. It sucks because I really wanted to go to college. I would have been the first in my family to ever go. I am going to MAKE SURE my daughter goes though so shell be the first.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Actually it only took like 1 or 2 units at the start of the Afghanistan War. Special forces units that basically had him in there crosshairs literally a few times but they didn't get "confirmation" or authorization from Washington DC fast enough. I don't really know the current situation though, but with all of the videos of him that look too healthy to be him and the fact he had failing kidneys and had bombs dropping at every stop he was at, I would really guess he's long dead by now and buried underneath thousands of tons of mountain side rubble.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

take advantage of Tutition Assistance and do some online courses through goarmyed.

and to mikerussellus:

yes, in fact, the army has been surpassing its retention and recruiting goals for a while since the enconomy has worsened. in fact, the goals have been surpassed by so much that now, re-enlistment bonuses have dropped durastically unless you are a star MOS, and re-enlisting for choice of duty station is harder now.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
My son went all through high school in ROTC program inlisted before graduating there is such a long waiting list unless you score like 80+ he only scored like 48.....you are put on a waiting list.
He got his bootcamp call the 20th that Dec. 1st is the ealiest they can get him in.
Strange timing I think, what else happens around then?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join