It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New 'shock' report into Irish church sex abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
rawstory.com...

A shocking new report has identified hundreds of victims of child sex abuse by Irish Catholic priests, officials said Tuesday, two months after a landmark study found "endemic" mistreatment.

A government-appointed commission of investigation headed by a judge has been probing allegations of abuse by priests in the archdiocese of Dublin -- the country's biggest -- since March 2006.

Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin has warned that the report -- presented to Justice Minister Dermot Ahern on Tuesday -- would "shock us all."

It is the first time the state has investigated how the once-powerful Church in mainly Catholic Ireland has run its affairs.

It probed whether the Church reported abuse allegations or attempted to "obstruct, prevent or interfere with the proper investigation" of complaints.

Charges of pedophilia involving the Church and its Priest are becoming all to common. This is beginning to look like it's not just isolated incidences but systemic.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Religion just needs to disappear, the world would be a much much better place if it did. It serves no real purpose other than to appease weak minded individuals while others take complete advantage of the situation. The roman catholic church is knee deep in corruption and hypocrisy, not to mention pedophilia. They have the audacity to dictate to others the qualities and merits of life while their own kind rapes children. Its staggering. What's more upsetting is the fact that people still continue to give them money and fund their disgusting habits. Quite frankly I'm some surprised some idiot hasn't created a reality show based on the deceptions and lies of the church.

brill

CX

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This is just one of the reasons i can't stand religion.

I just can't fathom how someone who is supposed to be a follower of God, can do this to another human being.....and kids at that.

CX.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Religion serves a very useful purpose in some peoples lives.
It's when that religion is distorted into a place for the elite to control the lives of the plebiscite that it takes on the evil dimension.

When religion becomes a control mechanism rather than a ministry is not the work of God but the work of man.
The weak willed and the weak minded are like sheep to the slaughter for scumbags that hide behind the cloth. The masters of manipulation.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
More on this story.....www.smh.com.au...

What a tragedy for thousands!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
My Great Great Grandfather was an orphan in the Dublin area with these institutions. They then shipped him to North America.

No one will give us our records, even though the Church as confirmed they have them. Every record about him and his family has been destroyed. In three different governments. The Catholic Church won't give us our documents - probably because he was abused though I suspect there is more to it than that.

Every record about his family has been destroyed. In three governments. And I do mean almost all of them - believe me we are very thorough. There is so much nothing that it points to something.

You should have left at least one trail of bread crumbs even on a side line.

Shocked I am not. MAD. Highly curious. Did I mention MAD? Disclosure of the problems, while covering the butts of the people who did it isn't good enough. Guilt without repentence.

And if you organizations read this - I suspect. I know enough, that combined with the whole lot of nothing and all the destroyed and misplaced records or hidden records in 3 governments and the Catholic Church.....I can't say I KNOW, but it is highly suggestive. You were TOO thorough.

More than a hundred years wasn't enough time to cover your butts.

Alice has looked into the rabbit hole and realized that it is way deep.

[edit on 2009/7/22 by Aeons]

[edit on 2009/7/22 by Aeons]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I wish religions would get together and agree on a kind of hypocratic oath; first do no harm. After that the details really don't matter. Some people seem to get a lot of comfort from religion. But so many follow a religion out of fear, and thats very sad. We could argue details untill were both blue in the face, but as a recovering Catholic I have some observations: For an adult to live an entire lifetime with out ever being in a healthy sexual relationship is I feel for most people un-natural. By the process of ellimination your going to attract a certain "ellement" to a situation like that. I'm not going in to go into everything I disagree with concerning the Catholic church, I also have a problem with anti-Catholic bigotry as well.

All religions need to put the safety of members, most importantly children first. When it comes to personal welfare of it's members some religions make the Catholics look like the ACLU. Last, I have a question. Where did we ever get the expression "God fearing"? It seems to be Christian in origin, but if Christ is all love, wisdom and mercy, whats to fear?

CX

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
What is the score with the Catholic Church clergy and refraining from sex?

Is that still the case, or was it ever? I remember hearing many times that the priests were not allowed to have sex, or is that before marraige?

I ask because i saw a quote the other day on the net which whilst it was meant in a humourous way, it did get me thinking about the more serious implications of this....the quote was, "Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers".

An obvious humourous take on the old phrase, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder".

This is why i ask about whether RC priests, vicars or whatever they are can have sex?

If not, could this be why abuse is so rife? Are they carrying out a sick method of getting what they are not allowed elsewhere?

If this is the case, then something seriously has to change.

CX.

[edit on 22/7/09 by CX]

top topics

join