It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophecy is neither scientific nor spiritual

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Prophecy, especially Doom Prophecy is neither scientific nor a spiritual. Its trashy Tabloid-ism.

Whats so horrific about this is that its a no-brainer: For the last few thousand years, up to the last decades, prophecies have routinely failed to come true...and real disasters such as 9/11 are routinely failed to be predicted.

Dont believe it? Look at the last 1000 threads in this Forum. "Clinton is the Anti-Christ". "Bush is the Anti-Christ". "Obama is the Anti-Christ". No mention of 9/11. Next up is 2012 because people were dissappointed that the world did not end in the year 2000.

Prophecy is not only totally invalid from a scientific viewpoint, but even from a metaphysical/spiritual viewpoint. I mention this because many think that prophecy has something to do with a "spiritual talent", with pre-cognition, with clairvoyance or some such paranormal event. But as any half-decent metaphysical teaching will point out...

a) The Future is not fixed
b) The very act of prediction, changes what will happen

and for the more advanced metaphysical thinkers: Linear time doesnt even exist in the first place.

95% of all prophecy is tabloid-ish hysteria, part of the fear-circus required to sell papers, books, magazines, websites. 5% of it may be a genuine prediction or vision of a probability...but the further out in the future one predicts, the less probable that something becomes. Thats because every single decision any of the 6 Billion humans on this planet makes, changes the course of the Future entirely.

The purpose of making this post is to deny ignorance, despite the unpopularity of the opinion stated here.

If you feel the urge to attack or challenge my post, I dont mind. I can handle it.
But can you handle the truth?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I could not agree more.

I've never been one to predict things as thinking about what will happen, changes what will actually happen. Furthermore you are right that this concept of linear time we have, does not exist in the actual world of mundane coincidences we live in.

Thanks for the great OP, S&F. Nice to see a mod make a thread

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Inbefore "Only God can make accurate prophecies" (Oh yes, the born agains will be raming the doors open just shout their quotes and prove you wrong, before long)

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I agree...doomsday prophecies are trashy. But they exist in huge numbers here and other locations.

So what can we discern from the combination of these two facts (admittedly one is more opinionlike...
)?

Perhaps that it is human nature to fear or be enthralled by that which could cause the ultimate destruction. Or perhaps (and this may be harsh) that people are too lazy to look up the background informations necessary to comprehend such abstract and grand notions. It's easier to react to the audacity of the thought and play 'what if' then it is to learn the whys and hows in order to make an informed and educated opinion on whatever given subject.

Missed ya Sky...

Edit for clarification of what a fact was...

[edit on Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:23:05 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I like what you said about the actual act of predicting the future will change the future.
That paradox is huge.
What is so blatantly obvious about people predicting the future is that it is so general and could be interpreted in so many different ways.

The Rub.

Nothing detailed or specific. Keep it vague.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
What about self fulfilling prophecies? I'd think they are quite common...maybe not common but happen quite alot of the time.People put themselves in a mindset and subconsciously will something into being from the result of that...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
What about self fulfilling prophecies? I'd think they are quite common...maybe not common but happen quite alot of the time.People put themselves in a mindset and subconsciously will something into being from the result of that...

Personal precognition, foreboding, selffullfilling-prophecy - personally, I believe all that stuff is valid, because on a one-person-level, things are more predictable. Thats something different than making doom-prophecies for all of humanity...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Missed ya Sky...

Same here. Thanks for the WB.

(sorry for the off-topic post Mods).

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Or perhaps (and this may be harsh) that people are too lazy to look up the background informations necessary to comprehend such abstract and grand notions. It's easier to react to the audacity of the thought and play 'what if' then it is to learn the whys and hows in order to make an informed and educated opinion on whatever given subject.

Yes, and its one hell of a dulled mind. Because it would not be that difficult to at least do a quick run through of prophecies in this Forum alone to figure out that a lot of time is being wasted on false Prophecy.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Yes, and its one hell of a dulled mind. Because it would not be that difficult to at least do a quick run through of prophecies in this Forum alone to figure out that a lot of time is being wasted on false Prophecy.

Which also suggests that the poster of any given prediction/prophecy may be so self involved as to care only about their own expressed opinion/question (something I tend to agree with based on the number of re-hashed discussions...
)

Seriously, I think that there is more of a relevant look into human physchological inclination and the desire to be heard as opposed to any relevant searching of the truth.

And this forum is filled with indirect evidence of it...

[edit on Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:54:49 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Agreed, for sure. I think one probable GOOD of these doom and gloom prophecies relates to what you said about "thinkin about it makes it not happen" paradox...

If enough people think the world is going to end, then, it's not going to happen! Too many people are thinking about it!

Ach.. .mah brain hurts...

I am sure you get my point tho.

Also, correct on the personal prophecies issue. On a single person basis, it's valid, to a certain degree.

Great topic! But let's not prevent people from thinking doom and gloom! they're saving us all!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

I´ll go as far as saying that the prediction itself distorts the outcome...whether it prevents it or creates it is another story altogether. Probably some of both...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Seriously, I think that there is more of a relevant look into human physchological inclination and the desire to be heard as opposed to any relevant searching of the truth.

And this forum is filled with indirect evidence of it...

Imagine a world in which one favors truth over narcissism....

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Whats so horrific about this is that its a no-brainer: For the last few thousand years, up to the last decades, prophecies have routinely failed to come true...and real disasters such as 9/11 are routinely failed to be predicted.

Please do not take this as showing no respect or compassion.

3,000 people died, in the eyes of the US, 9/11 was a disaster, but it really does pale into insignificance when it comes to the big picture,I think these other doom and gloom prophecies are dealing with millions if not billions of people dying.

Prophecy does not have to be scientific nor spiritual, prophecy is just a warning that danger lies ahead.
It is not prophecy or spiritual if I see you about to walk in front of a bus and warn you, it is up to you if you want to listen to the warning or not.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

The world is going to end in 1976, read all about it. The world is going to end in 1984, read all about it. The world is going to end in 1989, read all about it. The world is going to end in the year 2000, read all about it. The world is going to end in 2012, read all about it. The world is going to end in 2038, read all about it.

So...whats the point of warning me of things that are unlikely to happen?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I like your post, even gave you a star.
But I found this affirmation a bit disconcerting:
(I am one of those metaphysical thinkers)

every single decision any of the 6 Billion humans on this planet makes, changes the course of the Future entirely.

I believe that most of the 6 Billion people on Earth are not as aware as it is necessary to make "real choices". Real choices here meaning those which could actually change the objective future and not only the subjective future.

Let me try to explain my viewpoint better.
I understand that there are two kinds of will. Individual will and shared will. Individual will would be related to free will and shared will would be related to destiny. Destiny is a sort of pre-programmed future while free will is the possibility to reprogram the program. Nonetheless, I think one needs a lot of personal power to use its free will at its fullest as to reprogram the program, and few people are not entangled by other peoples ideas and desires in order to do this.

So, even though we have infinite possibilities of futures I think most of the possibilities are just potential energy waiting to be tapped and used. Which would make it more "easier" to actually perceive the programmed future (energy that ceased to be only potential).

Also, seeing the future may not necessarily change the future. Some personal power is needed to see the future. But even more personal power is needed to actually create change.

That's my take on the problematic.
If possible I'd like to receive other views on my ideas.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Geladinhu]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

reply to post by munkey66

The world is going to end in 1976, read all about it. The world is going to end in 1984, read all about it. The world is going to end in 1989, read all about it. The world is going to end in the year 2000, read all about it. The world is going to end in 2012, read all about it. The world is going to end in 2038, read all about it.

So...whats the point of warning me of things that are unlikely to happen?

Where I live, we get cyclones.
every year we hear that there are going to be more and more cyclones which are bigger than the last, each year we get the same as the year before (on average)
but there is a history of a very large cyclone hitting about once every 100 years, give or take a decade.

The media build up the hype about the cyclones and people get complacent because they hear it so often.
Prophecy works on the same principle, you get told that it will be this week or next only to be met with failure again, when people stop caring about it, that is when it hits, when people are not prepared.

Prophecy is not for everyone, it is to test the believers and to test their faith, If you are constantly prepared, you will win, if you are not and become complacent, you lose

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have to say that you probably summed it up fairly good. I flagged your thread.

It is important to realize that the modern day imagination has, particularly with ancient prophecy, gotten carried away with what is actually going to happen.

We are living in the "end days" right now and no one seems to really comprehend it. Why? The answer is simple. It is because the fulfillment of prophecy is not occurring in the manner that the modern day imagination envisaged it.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

As much as I appreciate your elaborations on will, I meant the "every choice one makes" in the sense of the butterfly-effect. Someone in China sneezes. That creates an exponentially different future for mankind than had he not sneezed...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

The media build up the hype about the cyclones and people get complacent because they hear it so often.
Prophecy works on the same principle, you get told that it will be this week or next only to be met with failure again, when people stop caring about it, that is when it hits, when people are not prepared.

Being prepared is good. Preparing for the worst is pessimistic. Is it more effective than preparing for the good? Doubtful. Preparing for false information, which most prophecy obviously is (did George Bush turn out to be THE anti-christ?) is even worse.

You know the boy who cried wolf? Thats what made people complacent.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join