It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon Orbit Is Wrong! Rises Flat @ 120 Degrees & 52 Mn.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Apparently not, since according to Nancy over at zetatalk, the U.S. naval observatory has been fudging the clocks.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
can someone with some credibility confirm this utter crap - maybe someone who knows something about astronomy

this is complete non-sense

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter
well thats not what I was told by an Astronomer.... Are you an astronomer?

Are sure that wasn't an astrologer?

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Hey porschedrifter,
Your signature, mood, and posts here are in conflict. Why would you qoute Ixataar just because he wrote that in another thread? If you believe everything people post here, you will be in trouble in the Paranormal section.

Ixataar Thread

Originally posted by HowardRoark
What gets me is that the original poster (CliffMickelson) has no concept of the difference between the rotation of the earth and the orbit of the moon. Reading that post made it seem like the Earth is stationary and that the transit of the moon across the night sky is due to the orbital motion.

Come on people. Think here.

The Moon's orbit is 27.3 days. The apparent motion of the moon across the night sky is due to the rotation of the Earth.

Although I thought the orbit was 29.5 days.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter
Moonrise Is Now Impossible To Predict

..one of the biggest piles of utter crap I've read around for a while.

The tides are still perfectly predictable. As is moon rise and set. Go and look for yourself. Try it at sea level, looking out over the ocean. Also be at the point where the moon rise/set is calculated for.

Lets go back to logic shall we.

How is the moon rising/setting at random?

Is it because the Earths rotation is changing speed? No. Because the sun rise/set is still fine, as are the hours in the day.

Is it because the Moon itself is speeding/slowing in its orbit? No. Because then it would have to be moving toward/away from the earth to compensate, which it is also not.

Please guys, try to use a little sensible thinking before doing the chicken little impression.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Icelid, the orbit is either 27.3 or 29.5 depending on your frame of reference since the Earth moves during that time. 27.3 is the sidereal month and 29.5 is the synodic month

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Thanks for the link HowardRoark. I must say that I never thought of that and I was obviously missing a valid point. Just took what I've read for granted. Youv'e unstupided me a little more.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This has to be the most bizzare thread I have ever seen...what follows? "The sky is turning purple, all over the world! I sat up last night, and as I watched, all the clouds glowed green....."

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
SS,
Thank God for another voice of reason!! Actually, I was hoping this thread would just quietly fade away to the bin of forgotten electrons. Oh well, I'm just happy it wasn't someone else saying the moon is acting very strange tonight. Ya know, things like "I know it was there all day - but I couldn't see it!! WTF" Yikes, I've been here too long!

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Sedna is missing a Moon;
science.nasa.gov...

Now, where do you suppose it is?

Also, what gravitational effect does an ENTIRE planet (or Small Moon) have on Moonrise predictions when it ISN'T EVEN taken into account?
Not much?
Actually, an awful lot (exponentially over time).

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join