It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Store video catches cop bullying woman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Store video catches cop bullying woman

www.philly.com

WHEN AGNES LAWLESS and three friends were inside a Lukoil convenience store in the Northeast at 3 a.m. last August, they'd all but forgotten the fender-bender in which they'd been involved moments earlier.

There was little damage, and the other driver had left the scene, near Northeast Philadelphia Airport.

What they didn't know was that they'd been rear-ended by the son of a police officer who was on duty, and dad was about to get involved.

Lawless was standing at the counter of the store, at Comly Road and Roosevelt Boulevard, smiling and chatting with the clerk, when she was grabbed from behind and violently pushed back with a police officer's gun in her face.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Frogs]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
A rather long (but good) article about this incident. As described above she was rear-ended by a cop's son who drove off and went to get his dad who took the actions quoted above.

However, it actually gets worse. The store's video captured the incident. The video tells a totally different story than the officer's account of the events. The video led to all charges against the woman being dropped. Of course, the cops asked mulitiple times for the clerk to erase or "lose" the video. Oddly, IA thought that was just fine -and that officers did nothing wrong in asking the tape be erased.

It seems every day there are just more an more of these stories popping up.

Yes, I understand it doesn't represent all police. But, when things like this pop up every day its hard not to wonder just how big an issue it is.

www.philly.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Being 'rear ended' here in the UK aitomatically places the blame for the accidentfor teh person who rear ended the car in front, no questions asked. They should be aware of whats going o in front of them and threfore aware of any accidents about to happen.
and besidesI thought that if you had an accident in the US you HAVE to call a cop no matter how bad the punt?.
Obviously little kid didn't want to get into trouble and called pops to the scene to 'coerce' the victim.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
If the cops or DA are not going to do anything about that scum bag of a cop then maybe the community should? I would say he needs to be taught a lesson in honesty as does his son. A tune up is in order here...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Is the same in the US, no matter what is always the person in the back, fault, I used to work for lawyer that specialized in this type of cases specially for insurance claims.

But like the OP said in the link the boy was the local cop son, so things may change due to the exercise of power.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It is sad when a police officer uses his position to intimidate someone or for some other personal reason , but we must not forget that even though there are many of these stories coming to light,, through the use of camera fones and CCTV, we must never forget there are many more good cops, in all countries that try to do their very best in maintaining law with honour, dignity and compassion risking life and limb for strangers and even for criminals.

[edit on 21/7/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You beat me to it. I was just going to say that in the US (as far as I know) the fault is assumed to be on driver that does the rear-ending.

DataWrath - Yes, I think there are more good cops than bad. We always hear don't judge them all on the actions of a few - and that is good advice.

But, I think good advice back to the cops would be...

If you don't want us to judge you on the actions of the few - then take action against the few instead of protecting them.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
it is not always the person in back who is at fault.
it is up to the insurance company that decides that. if you are driving 55 in a 55 zone and someone pulls out in front of you you don't have the time to stop even if paying attention.
also in my state-pa- the only accidents that need to be reported to police are ones that require a vehicle to be towed, cause injury or death.
since this happened in my state apparently it was reported when didn't need to be but only by the wrong person to the wrong person and the wrong people who have big heads and made a big big deal out of it.
and if it was a simple accident all you need to do is exchange info and the insurance companies figure it out.
i smell a coverup- if the kid had to report it to daddy who then did what he did and go to higher people what was the kid doing that was so wrong? i assume he was doing something illegal and daddy with his power thought he could belittle the sheeple.
i know what i would have told the police if i was the clerk or the owner and they told me to erase the tape- but because of t&c i will leave it to you to figure out

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
lately when i hear of a police officer being shot at i have to wonder if he deserved it....

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfoot1212
i smell a coverup- if the kid had to report it to daddy who then did what he did and go to higher people what was the kid doing that was so wrong? i assume he was doing something illegal and daddy with his power thought he could belittle the sheeple.
i know what i would have told the police if i was the clerk or the owner and they told me to erase the tape- but because of t&c i will leave it to you to figure out

Ahh - I think I understand what you are saying. If being the guilty party in a minor fender-bender was all the son was guilty of - then why go to these lengths to "get" the people he hit??

We may never know the answer - but it is certainly possible.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

The problem with "good cops and bad cops" is when the supposed "good cops" cover for the bad ones.

If you kill someone, and I see it, and I do not report it, that makes me an accessory and thus guilty by association.

If any policeman assists in ignoring or covering up the actions of an abusive cop, then they share the guilt by association.

The only good cop is a whistleblower, and AFAIK they don't stay around long after they blow the whistle. They get drummed out.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
OP- why do you say that this represents a "small portion" of police?

It is my personal experience (I've met dozens and dozens of police officers) that 90% or more of them are exactly the kind of "pig" described in this article.

I'm sorry but I'm not giving into the idiots who come on here saying "THIS DOESN'T REPRESENT ALL POLICE" any more. In my reality, this DOES represent all police, especially when these police officers are defended instead of punished by the rest of the police.

Saying these are isolated events is lying. It is EVERY SINGLE DAY that we are exposed to articles just like this one.

-One fed up, hard working, tax paying civilian.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This whole story stinks. Nothing happens to these cops? How many laws were broken and nothing happens to these pigs?

Seriously, you get rear-ended, THE GUY DRIVES AWAY, then a few minutes later you are accosted and at the end of a gun held by a COP and then arrested?

I'm in a bad mood today, it's definitely affecting me, but I just want to go make life hard for some cops. They can't do anything about real criminals so they pull stunts like this. High school graduates, if we are lucky, with guns who don't know squat about the law and are brainwashed into thinking we are all suspects.

This cop should have never handled anything regarding his son. Precisely because of the types of actions he showed in this instance.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
What happened on that video was a textbook example of an abuse of power. I also saw something that disturbed me. Did that cop un-holster his weapon and approach that women? Did anyone notice that or was he holding something else in his right hand. That cop's son left a scene of an accident instead of staying on scene and consulting with women who was rear-ended.

They are either supposed exchange insurance documentation or notify the police at the scene of the accident. Hopefully, the cop is reprimanded and suspended without pay for a little while and his kid is at least charged with leaving the scene of an accident and failure to report.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Yes - he pulled his gun and had it in her face.

I'd thought I'd included that bit in my OP, but after reading your post I noticed either I accidently hadn't grabbed it or the board cut if off. I went back and fixed it.

But yes, his weapon was drawn.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
reply to post by Jakes51

Yes - he pulled his gun and had it in her face.

I'd thought I'd included that bit in my OP, but after reading your post I noticed either I accidently hadn't grabbed it or the board cut if off. I went back and fixed it.

But yes, his weapon was drawn.

Thanks and now it takes this into an even more serious situation. This officer could have killed that woman! What the hell was he thinking? First, he wasn't was at the store not on police business but personal and then he brandishes his firearm at an unarmed woman over a traffic dispute.

This guy needs to be suspended immediately and investigated with whatever resources necessary for the internal affairs division and the District Attorney's office. This policeman is a loose cannon and should be charged for his abuses of power. His son should also be charged for leaving the scene of an accident and essentially trying to bribe a police officer through his personal relationship with said police officer.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ok, let's see:

1. Perjury
2. Assualt
3. Battery
4. Assualt under the color of authority
5. Attempted destruction of evidence
6. Intimidation of witnesses
7. Conspiracy to onstruct justice

Those are just the obvious crimes committed by the cop and his cohorts. I'm sure a good prosecutor could find a lot more if they actually looked.

But we're talking Philly here: one of the most corrupt, violent police departments in the country. I'm sure no one here remembers when the Philly cops burned a building down with women and children in it becuase they didn't like their politics...that happened in the eighties, I think.

I completely agree with the poster who said that "good" cops aren't "good" unless they blow the whistle on bad ones. That whole rotten apple argument is just so self-serving.

To all the so-called "good" cops on ATS who claim that this sort of behavior is in the minority, let me ask you a question:

When have you personally ever turned in a fellow cop for lawbreaking? It seems that no police department anywhere doesn't have a few "bad apples". Why haven't you, personally, upheld the law when it was one of your own breaking it? Why aren't you so deeply intent upon upholding the law when its a cop who breaks it? Would you have asked a clerk to destroy evidence? HAVE you ever asked a witness to protect a cop? I suspect that most of the "good" cops here have covered at least once for a fellow cop.

If YOU have, guess what? YOU aren't a "good" cop, you're one of the bad apples, a fellow conspirator obstructing justice.

I'll never forget what I overheard one night in an ER when a shooting victim was brought in: the doctors and nurses referred to it as another "blue gang" shooting. I thought at first they were referring to some sort of street gang, but it soon became obvious it was a police shooting victim, and that to the medics, the cops were just another violent gang.

And I'm sick and tired of cops bleating about how "dangerous" their work is. Go look up the labor stats: police work is one of the safest jobs you can possibly have. If you want dangerous, try soldiering, taxi driving, roofing, commercial fishing, general construction, firefighting, or being a hooker. THOSE are dangerous jobs. Cops are cowards and bullies for the most part, emotionally and ethically immature and mentally below par.

A good cop is extremely rare to find and has my utmost respect, but good cops don't last long. The rest have my utter contempt.

The prosecutor in this case is a co-conspirator in the obstruction of justice. Philly is beyond hope or repair without a general housecleaning like Mexico is attempting with its corrput cops.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

If this lady was black, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would have already had this thug cop and police department by the neck.

Maybe it is time for white people to get a person to represent them when they are abused by the cops or are encountering reverse discrimination.

BTW, I feel it was a conflict of interest for the cop to get involved in his son's accident.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Shes pretty hot..how dare that dirty pig and his dirty piglett son put their hands on her. If I was there I would have kicked them both in their bean bags.
filthy animals.
god im getting sick of these porkers.
are there any good cops left? I dont think so Tim.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
One of the most worrying parts of the article:

The clerk on duty the night that Lopez confronted Lawless told investigators that three times after the incident, police officers spoke with him about the security tape and that two asked if he would erase it.

Bad apples protecting other bad apples. The thin blue line or whatever it is called.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join