It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study shows major quakes highly possible in western Canada's B.C. and American northwest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

A minor earthquake has rattled the mountains of southeastern Nevada.
The U.S. Geological Survey says a 3.2 magnitude temblor struck Sunday night about six miles from the mountain town of Helene.
It was centered about 88 miles northeast of Las Vegas.
No one reported feeling the quake on the survey's Web site.

You guys have your rubber boats ready !! ??

Study shows major quakes highly possible in western Canada's B.C. and American northwest
VANCOUVER, July 20 (Xinhua) -- British and American researchers said Monday that evidence shows large earthquakes could possibly happen in western Canada's British Columbia and American northwest in the future and scientists have underestimated the potential, local daily Vancouver Sun reported.

They said that they studied subsoil samples and sediments from the Alaskan coast and found evidence of major earthquakes 900 years ago and 1,500 years ago. The two earthquakes were even stronger than a magnitude 9.2 quake in 1964, which caused a 12-metre-high tsunami in the Gulf of Alaska and 131death.

The researchers from Britain's Durham University, America's University of Utah and Plafker Geohazard Consultants said that the underlying geology of the region shows a very large and widespread quake is possible.

"Our findings show that a bigger earthquake and a more destructive tsunami than the 1964 event are possible in the future," Ian Shennan, a professor of geography at Durham, who led the study, said in a statement.

The 1964 tsunami spread southward along the coast of British Columbia, American northwestern states of Washington, Oregon and into northern California, University of Utah geologist Ron Bruhn said.

"Our work suggests that the northeastern Aleutian mega thrust has greater earthquake magnitude and tsunami potential than previously thought," he added.

The study was published in the journal Quaternary Science Reviews.

Mon Jul 20, 3:28 pm ET
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Scientists have underestimated the potential for a giant quake and tsunami that could swamp much the U.S. northwest and Canadian west coasts, British and U.S. researchers said on Monday.

Geological evidence suggests there have been earthquakes in the past that were even stronger than a magnitude 9.2 quake -- the second-biggest ever recorded -- which caused a 42-foot-high (12-meter-high) tsunami in the Gulf of Alaska in 1964, they said.

Quake, tsunami potential high on U.S. west coast

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I live in the Northwest and we have always been overdue for the next "big one". I read the story and it still isn't exactly clear why they are making a bigger deal about this now.

The researchers from Britain's Durham University, America's University of Utah and Plafker Geohazard Consultants said that the underlying geology of the region shows a very large and widespread quake is possible.

Again, a "very large and widespread quake" has been threatened as not only being possible, but overdue for quite some time. I guess now we will be even more dead than previously thought possible when it actually hits.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

I live in the Northwest and we have always been overdue for the next "big one". I read the story and it still isn't exactly clear why they are making a bigger deal about this now.

Again, a "very large and widespread quake" has been threatened as not only being possible, but overdue for quite some time. I guess now we will be even more dead than previously thought possible when it actually hits.

More dead, nice twist, do you have any info to add since you live closer than I do, Im in Norway so I fell nothing (Yet)..

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I live in the NW, and it seems as though the earthquake stories poke up once in a while. Once I remember the paper headline was something to the effect of "There is a one in four chance a major quake will occur in your lifetime!" I have felt many smaller earthquakes in my life, but that's maybe R5 max. Realistically, a R9+ earthquake, there's not much you can do but move far away before it hits. But that's what you get for living on the beautiful west coast, or anywhere for that matter. Tornado, flood, huricane, freezing cold, desert heat, sandstorm, volcanoe, everywhere in the world is prone to some sort of disaster. I still don't want to move.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by oneinthesame

I think there is a Safe Map of USA on the Net..
25% chance of a big quake , oohhh...

[edit on 21/7/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I live in British Columbia. We know we are overdue for a massive earthquake. I'm surprised "scientists" have just noticed because I actually have two books published in the 1990s providing advice about how to survive a catastrophic earthquake. This is old and established knowledge. That study must have been real easy for them considering 100% of the theory work had already been done.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I have lots of info on this since I've grown up being told that we are overdue for an earthquake. I also have experience with earthquakes like being outside with my third-grade class on the day that a tremor occurred. U2U me if you need info ChemBreather.

top topics

join