It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JUPITER SMACKED

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Its not yet confirmed as to what it is...Astronomers believe its the debris from something that hit the planet

Evidence is mounting that something hit Jupiter no more than a few days ago. The impact site was discovered by amateur astronomer Anthony Wesley on July 19th. Using a 14.5-inch telescope at his backyard observatory in Murrumbateman, Australia, he photographed a dark scar in Jupiter's clouds. NASA astronomers rushed to confirm the find, and with this photo from the Infrared Telescope Facility in Hawaii, they did:

The bright spot is near-infrared sunlight reflected from particulate matter floating through the top of Jupiter's atmosphere. These particulates are likely debris from something that hit the planet and exploded. "This has all the hallmarks of the comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacts of 1994," says Leigh Fletcher of JPL who gathered the infrared data along with colleague Glenn Orton.

If the impact hypothesis is indeed correct, the "scar" should become spread out by jet streams in the days ahead. Amateur astronomers can monitor events using mid-sized backyard telescopes: sky map. The spot is located near Jupiter's System II longitude 210°. For the predicted times when it will cross the planet's central meridian, add 2 hours and 6 minutes to Sky and Telescope's predicted transit times for Jupiter's Great Red Spot.

Any people heard about this....what do you guys think it is?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Nice . there was a thread about it here yesterday, another picture though!

Are they sure it was an impact now..?
Shoemaker was nine asteroids, and it could be more of them..

[edit on 21/7/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Nice . there was a thread about it here yesterday, another picture though!

Do they are sure it was an impact now..?

yea they are pretty sure it was hit.....but i guess not sure what it was.. thnxx

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Enjay]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Enjay

Lets see if there are more of them, there have been too many close calls on earth also.

Astronomers have discovered asteroids after they have passed earth, and if it were to impact, we'd know nothing.

OR, they knew about it and sayd nothing, hoping for the best and 'discovered' it after the danger was over..

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Its.....2010 The Year We Make Contact....all over again.....

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GOTZEUS

Thanks so much for posting this video!
I lost it a while back.
I love to open it up in a couple of windows and letting it play against itself.

ANYWAY - I so so so hope we make contact in my lifetime...

I’ve got such hope we will.

Whatever’s happening on Jupiter - I’ve no idea - but if it’s got to do with *First Contact* for real - GET IT ON BABY!

peace
gracie aka Silo13

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join