It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you kill if "God" told you?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Btw to add to that point about you people syaing you can't kill anyone.

right there is Gods grace working in you.

How come murderes on the street, gang members who kill people for 5 dollars and cerial murders all don't say that?

They kill for fun not just war.

because it's all grace. And so this goes back tot he point that love is grace and the only reason we all say that is because God put grace in us.

which is love. that's why evil eixst and good people. Some have grace and others are ruthless.

so if it is in us then God is infinite love who we came from. This is only in terms of God being real.

anyways continue the thread.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Not everyone believes blind obedience is a virtue. Just following orders is not an excuse even when god is giving the orders. Not to mention if it is really god he can do it himself, he doesn't need me too.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by paperplanes

Ok if you are speaking in terms of "war" then You are correct. There are the "crusades" and all that as well. In this day and age, I don't believe people act according to Gods "will" often, yet pass it off as his will. There has been way too much mis-interpretation of this, and as such human beings have caused more damage to mankind based on their *own* ideals. For the record however, I was refering to God comanding someone to kill on an *Individual* basis. I do see your view absolutely, and there are plenty of crazies out there that do exactly what you mention.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
its an interesting question. one that would be an amazing debate if people didnt muck it with dogma and prejudice.

assuming that there is a god and your not simply being told by some power above to kill someone, this raises the question, is there anything we shouldnt be obedient to god about?

answering this with what seems to be the effect of, "no, i would know better" is in my opinion, simple, arrogant and ignorant. one cant seriously assume that they are the pinnacle of moral example in this universe. why not instead actually think for a moment.

even our simple human brains can think up of situations where it might be ok to murder. (for example, if the murder prevented other deaths, or if the murdered himself murdered others.)

the ultimate question would be is god just?

if he is, then we can have faith that whatever is asked of us is going to end the way it should. like abraham and his son. in the end god stopped him from killing his son. abraham's faith in god may seem barbaric to some, but abraham simply believed that god knew what he was doing. he had never seen anything to make him feel different.

on the other hand, if god is unjust, then why worship him?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
See this is why I have nothing to do with religion, its too friggin complicated and reliant on peoples interpretations.

If I was religious though, and assuming that I believed 'God works in mysterious ways' & that I or anyone else would never be able to fully understand why he does the things he does.. then who would I be to refuse to do something God had asked me to?
I mean God has already set out some sort of moral code to follow, so why wouldnt he be able to change that?

From my point of view, as a completely non-religious person.. anything regarding terrorist attacks, mercy killings etc I obviously see as being completely wrong. But those people truly believe they are doing the right thing. There may be the influence of their own personal morals/ideas, such as feeling some hatred towards the west, fearing shame being brought upon they're families etc. But when it comes down to it, religion is the factor that points them in that direction in the first place. Its just how they interpret it.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
No. I would check myself into a mental hospital. The God I believe in does not order people to kill, certainly not to "prove" how loyal I am. I think thats sick.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by paperplanes

Ok if you are speaking in terms of "war" then You are correct. There are the "crusades" and all that as well. In this day and age, I don't believe people act according to Gods "will" often, yet pass it off as his will. There has been way too much mis-interpretation of this, and as such human beings have caused more damage to mankind based on their *own* ideals. For the record however, I was refering to God comanding someone to kill on an *Individual* basis. I do see your view absolutely, and there are plenty of crazies out there that do exactly what you mention.

The crusades were an opportunity for "true believers" to rob and rape their way across the middle east. Left a bad impression with the Muslims as well. Once again the "prince of peace" was perverted into the God of oppression and war.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geolion1

Originally posted by Jomina
I'm essentially agnostic, myself, but even if i were a believer, no, I would never.

Why?

Because any being who is a creator would never want to see his creations destroyed, in any way.

As an artist, I know just how that would feel.

No. Definitely not.

Im agnostic too.

But if our Creator, really didnt want to see his creation being destroyed dont you think he should have created us to be more wise, and not act so cruel, just look at today at all the violence, he created us, we created war, so wouldn't that mean he or she created war.

Your argument is along the lines of "why do bad things happen to good people"? We are all responsible for what WE DO. We are guided by what we think are right and wrong, and hopefully empathy towerd all living things. It's to easy to hide behind the concept; "God made me do it" I am not at fault, I was told, given a sign, whatever. We will never improve ourselves as a species if we hide behind religion, and use it as an excuse for the most gastly things. In one German town in the 16th century, the Catholic church ordered 50,000 women burned to death for being witch's. They had a problem with the plague and blamed whitch's and cats, which they also killed in vast number's. No cats, and the rats went wild killing 1/3 to 1/2 of the people of Europe. NOW THATS poetic justice...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join