It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you kill if "God" told you?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I was wondering this the other day because I know many Christians and they follow God's word, and they do everything that they think God tells them.

But what if they all thought God told them they had to kill all those who do not chose to believe in God, or their God.

To those believers-
Would you still keep believing in God?
Would you really kill?
Would you change religions because you know what the right thing to do is?
...WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I hope to hear all your responses.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
There is a story in the bible that answers your question.

A true believer would do just what the guy in the bible did.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
people will justify any act in the name of any God.

I havn't ever heard God speak, but I am pretty sure if he asked me to kill, I don't think I would believe he/she is the real God.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I'm essentially agnostic, myself, but even if i were a believer, no, I would never.

Why?

Because any being who is a creator would never want to see his creations destroyed, in any way.

As an artist, I know just how that would feel.

No. Definitely not.

A side note, this video rather touches on what you're speaking of, and I think, really, puts things into perspective.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Would you kill if "God" told you?

My "god" would not tell me to do this........

Never read a bible in my life and i don't attend church but that's because i think the real god is inside me and his (my) main drive is LOVE......

So i guess killing is out but if he did want me to do so i would expect him to ask me instead of tell me to do something.

My god rocks!!!!

Peace

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a true creator such as god would never ask for a being to kill under any circumstance.

anyone who says otherwise is either a liar or is crazy.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina
I'm essentially agnostic, myself, but even if i were a believer, no, I would never.

Why?

Because any being who is a creator would never want to see his creations destroyed, in any way.

As an artist, I know just how that would feel.

No. Definitely not.

Im agnostic too.

But if our Creator, really didnt want to see his creation being destroyed dont you think he should have created us to be more wise, and not act so cruel, just look at today at all the violence, he created us, we created war, so wouldn't that mean he or she created war.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Im sorry but I havent read the bible, but what did the guy do?

link   
no.
i have better morals than god.

link   
reply to post by Geolion1

No I wouldn't. I don't care what the bible says in regards to it either. If someone doesn't like it, then they can just label me a "nonbeliever".

I would literally tell God to do it.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geolion1

Originally posted by jd140

Im sorry but I havent read the bible, but what did the guy do?

abraham was going to sacrifice his son Isaac. then god stepped in at the last second and stopped him.

many point to how this is a clear sign of gods mercy/how god was just testing him.

i point out how it clearly shows that abraham didnt think it was unusual for god to ask such a thing seeing how the bible doesnt cover him doubting god or thinking he was being tricked by a serpent. so to me it seems like that would be part of gods nature, asking people to do horrible things that is.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

That's a fair question and deserves an answer.

I don't know.

And that's the wisest thing I can come up with in response.

Please note tho, when i mentioned a creator, I didn't specify that I believed in one. I just know what a creator would feel by being one myself.

Another way to look at it is, I am a creator, for I created my children, essentially. And I would never, ever, wish to see them destroyed.

But they can be foolish sometimes, and a little silly, and sometimes spiteful to each other just because they want to be. Does that still mean I want to see them destroyed?

No way.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest
no.
Yes, I do too, I notice that just because you believe in God it doesnt mean you are a good person, and I have seen this alot, just last year I was Atheist and most people in my school knew that, yet I was still voted nicest guy. I dont get why some of the extreme believers think just because you dont believe in God it makes you an evil person.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

they think nonbelievers are evil because they are taught that.
people who are set in their ways fear/hate people who think differently.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

That's a fair question and deserves an answer.

I don't know.

And that's the wisest thing I can come up with in response.

Please note tho, when i mentioned a creator, I didn't specify that I believed in one. I just know what a creator would feel by being one myself.

Another way to look at it is, I am a creator, for I created my children, essentially. And I would never, ever, wish to see them destroyed.

But they can be foolish sometimes, and a little silly, and sometimes spiteful to each other just because they want to be. Does that still mean I want to see them destroyed?

No way.
I know what you meant when you spoke of a creator, I did the same thing I dont specifically mean I believe in one, but Im using it from that point of view. I know if I created something I too would not want them to destroy each other, but I would like to see them create something even better.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

no.
Yes, I do too, I notice that just because you believe in God it doesnt mean you are a good person, and I have seen this alot, just last year I was Atheist and most people in my school knew that, yet I was still voted nicest guy. I dont get why some of the extreme believers think just because you dont believe in God it makes you an evil person.

I tried to have a talk with someone once regarding a similar subject.

They had the viewpoint that anyone who does not believe in god is incapable of feeling love, under any circumstances. I tried to point out different examples, even ones like single mothers who sacrifice everything they have for the sake of their children...

His response? That's not love. That's a shameful facade of love, because they don't know God.

What's truly sad is, this guy was not alone in his thinking. There's a large number of people out there who think the same way. Really? A basic human emotion, and someone's completely cut off from it because they don't "know god"? come on, please.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

they think nonbelievers are evil because they are taught that.
people who are set in their ways fear/hate people who think differently.

I WILL say, that type of thinking IS becoming less prevalent these days. A lot of people are moving away from it.

Either that, or, I am hanging out with a lot better people these days...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Anyone who hears voices in their head is in need of psychiatric help.
Anyone who hears voices in their head telling them to kill and acts upon it needs psychiatric help AND imprisonment as they are a danger to society.

Besides, doesn't one of the ten commandments, allegedly the word or the Christian God, expressly tell them NOT to kill?

See, this is the whole problem I have with organised religion. It lays out a set of rules by which it's adherents must live, yet those people who supposedly are good followers will still break those rules and think they are doing their God's work! How screwed up is that?

Thous shalt not kill doesn't seem to apply, right up there with not coveting your neighbours ass (depends on how fine an ass it is of course!)
What we see is allegedly Christian leaders, courting the religious leadership, sending out the bombers and troops to kill poor foreign people so that they can control resources that those poor people are sitting on.
The whole idea of politicians, especially, being holy in any way is laughable as the two things are wholly incompatible. Politics is based entirely on deceit, deception and dishonesty, so the idea that political leaders can be in any way religious is hypocritical in the extreme, and they know it.

In fact, if I killed and used as a defence the idea that the voice of God in my head told me to do it, I'd get banged up and daily electro-convulsive therapy, as well as a cocktail of drugs. However, the same rules do not apply on a government level, where essentially the same thing happens, but on a much larger scale.

I think most people have a grasp of what is good and what is bad and can live their lives without the need to justify their actions, based on any religious rulings. Those who do wrong and try to dress it up as somehow doing Gods work are delusional and dangerous.

Morning rant over... time for another coffee!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Fo sho.

If I heard a voice telling me to kill someone, I'd do it hands down!

The murder of Doctor Tiller was a great one, only a true christian could've done that! Trully residing in gods word!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

no.

I tried to have a talk with someone once regarding a similar subject.

They had the viewpoint that anyone who does not believe in god is incapable of feeling love, under any circumstances. I tried to point out different examples, even ones like single mothers who sacrifice everything they have for the sake of their children...

His response? That's not love. That's a shameful facade of love, because they don't know God.

What's truly sad is, this guy was not alone in his thinking. There's a large number of people out there who think the same way. Really? A basic human emotion, and someone's completely cut off from it because they don't "know god"? come on, please.
Exactly, I get into the same arguments only with groups of people, and still they decided to stay close minded and only believe what they want to believe, nothing more, they think everything else is against God's plan and should not be allowed or that they should be punished.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join