It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I achieve all the understanding of a Freemason even though i am not a member?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Originally posted by VergeofObscene

Originally posted by Scooby Doo
Only the freemasons will ever know fact from fiction when it comes down to claims made by the public.

Will my afterlife be the same as that of a mason?

Will I be any of a lesser person by not joining the masons?

To really achieve the answer you are looking for, you would have to become a mason, as they are the only one's who can truly explain the difference.

No, they are not...

The answers to your questions are simple; yes, and yes!

I would have to say Yes, and no.

Ah, I should have paid more attention. Since three questions were asked, the answers to the first two questions are yes (though the afterlife is probably a different experience for everyone, mason or not), and the answer to the last grim question is a resounding NO!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I think that you could learn a lot about Masonry through individual reading. There is plenty to study - learning the ritual of the degrees, the history of Masonry, studying Mackey's Encyclopedia of Masonry, delving into the Old Testament and Jewish literature. You could literally take a whole lifetime studying Masonry, and some Masons - such as Mackey - did just that.

Without giving a flip answer, however, I would say that you would definitely miss out on the "experiential" side of Masonry. It is one thing to read a Shakespeare play, and another thing to actually perform on stage a Shakespeare play. Becoming actively involved in the ritual itself is an experience that most Masons enjoy, and come to appreciate over time. Not only is it a test of your memory and public speaking skills, but it is also a way of learning the ritual through repetition and frequency - something that would be impossible to do on your own.

You would also miss out on the fraternal bonds and lifelong friendships that are quite common to many Masons. For most Masons, the fraternity is quite an enjoyable experience, and they look forward to the meetings, rituals, and charitable work.

If you have an interest in simply the Masonic literature and philosophy, some of the most learned scholars of Masonry can be found at the Lodge. It is one thing to learn the history of Masonry on your own, and another to discuss the topic with older Masons that have a vast knowledge of the fraternity that they can share with you.

Part of the "experiential" part of Masonry cannot be put into words. The sights, sounds, and actual experience of Masonic ritual is difficult to imitate on your own. You actually need the Masons and the Lodge to understand and experience the ritual itself. You have to witness it, be a part of it, and see it with your own eyes to gain a better understanding of what is taking place during the rituals. You can't duplicate that effect by just reading.

I joined Masonry pretty much right out of college. I was young, and knew that the Lodge would be a good place for me to surround myself with good, strong leaders in our local community. It was a smart move on my part. Not only did I learn a lot, and am still learning, but I made some great friends along the way. I found that almost all of the myths and stories that you hear about Masonry are completely untrue, and that most Masons are genuinely good men with good intentions and care deeply about their families and community. You can't obtain those great associations with great people just by reading - You have to actually go to the Lodge yourself and become an active member.

I moved away from my state a few years ago, and have missed the Lodge terribly in the process. It is not the same ritual here as it is in the state that I was from, and so I miss that - and I miss the comraderie and friends that I made in the Lodge. Thankfully, we will be moving back in a few months, so I will be able to renew these friendships at that time.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by grantbeed

Can I achieve all the understanding of a Freemason even though I am not a member?

Yes. Respect the existence of a Supreme Being with humility. Be kind and considerate to your fellow human beings as often as possible, without detriment to yourself. Learn the arts and sciences. Prefer friendship and fellowship over political and religious polarization. Contemplate Life.

THIS. :-)

In fact, if you are turned off by the idea of becoming a mason or just aren't interested, it might be a hindrance to your learning. You might become frustrated and disenchanted.

The thing about masonry that I've found is that it doesn't specify any specific answer to the mysteries of the universe.

There is a lot of symbolism and archaic language in the ritual (which is, of course, ALL available online nowadays) but it requires and individual to think and investigate on his own.

The masonic lectures and rituals are just pretty much analogies of teachings that are paralleled in just about any mystery school or religion. The only thing that's different is the tools used as examples.

An easy example is the "24 inch rule". A candidate is handed what is basically a ruler that's 2 feet long. He is told this ruler is a reminder of the hours of the day, and that we should spend 8 hours each day at our work, 8 hours at rest and 8 hours in service to God or to fellow man.

To me it doesn't literally mean to go out and do that every day, but it is a lesson that sticks in your mind as you go through your day and you think, "Hey, I've worked today and relaxed, maybe I should spend some time helping somebody."

Have fun on your journey!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by VergeofObscene

I have to agree with everyone on the second question and say a resounding NO.

Masons especially are supposed to regard all people as equal. I think anyone (especially a Mason) who looked down on you for not joining is not someone whose opinion should mean a lot.

To me (again no Mason speaks for all of Masonry) the Truth in masonry is the same as the truth in most religions. I get the same conclusion whether it's in a lodge meeting, at church or reading about mysteries and secrets on my own.

My conclusions are:

1) Humans have an immortal soul.

2) Love God, and love your neighbor.

It's kind of oversimplification, but that's the conclusion I have come to.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join