It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Defense Officials Reject Iraqi Colonel's Claim that U.S. Troops Live in 'Prison-Like Bases'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

U.S. Defense Officials Reject Iraqi Colonel's Claim that U.S. Troops Live in 'Prison-Like Bases'

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON -- An Iraqi military commander on Monday likened the present state of American GIs in his country to being "under house arrest," a comment passed off as "grandstanding" by a senior U.S. defense official.

Col. Ali Fadhil, a brigade commander in Baghdad, said Monday that American combat troops basically are living in "prison-like" conditions since they cannot patrol as freely as they did prior to the completion of the June 30 pullback of troops to outside urban areas. The pullback is part of a U.S.-Iraqi Strategic Forces Agreement that requires all U.S. troops out of Iraq by
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Well this something interesting coming from an Iraqi Commander. Perpetual boredom for our boys and girls over there who are barred from operations like patrols and the likewise.
As much as this may be a part of the gradual pull out from major operations in Iraq, this doesn't seem very good with near prison sized quarters if they're lucky enough to have their own room. And please don't turn this into some BS about US torture allegations.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Mostly all of the barraks I have stayed in here in the States are even like that. Its like an 8x8 room made out of block with one window, two beds, and two personal cabinets. This is nothing new. They are also in a different country so of course the military is going to make sure that they know where their troops are at all times. Thats why the military adopted the Buddy system.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind, Out Of The Line Of Fire

He says that like it's a bad thing.

Are they really supposed to be out there triggering IEDs the hard way instead?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind, Out Of The Line Of Fire

Then why not let our troops be out of sight, out of mind, out of the line of fire, with their friends and families back in the good ole US of A??

Or is there another reason to keep troops in Iraq? Oil perhaps?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Passive Reflection

reply to post by whaaa

Don't worry, U.S. troops are still very much hard at work outside the metropolitan areas guarding things like oil wells, refineries and pipelines, so no problems there.

It just seems odd to me that an Iraqi brigade commander would make a comment like this in light of the fact that U.S. troops are supposed to be taking a less active role in Baghdad.

Would he prefer the U.S. violate the Strategic Forces Agreement?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I saw the pic that came along with the article. I think there is nothing to be complaining about.

I have a pic of my old barracks room from ft. huachuca AZ that is half that size. I will see if I can find it and post it. It looked like someone knocked down the wall between to jail cells.

Each single soldier is only permitted a minimum of 600 sq ft. That includes sleeping quarters and latrine. Usually the latrine is shared between to soldiers.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Well my son came back from Iraq a few months ago. It's not bad, good food, plenty of exercise equipment. Satellite feed. Boredom? Yeah but they were safe.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Well my son came back from Iraq a few months ago. It's not bad good food plenty of exercise equipment. Satellite feed. Boredom? Yeah but they were safe.

My thoughs exactly. This is pretty much how it was when I was there too.

peace

top topics

join