It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Smokers - what would you do?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I live in a condo/apt complex. My unit, which I own, is on the first floor. All are one-floor garden style units. First floor units have a small patio, and second and third floor have balconies.

I like to sit on my patio and listen to the radio. I also smoke on my patio.

This week, I got the following note on my front door:

Hi

I live in 56. I am on oxygen and cannot smell smoke as this causes an asthma attack.

I know you smoke on the deck so you don't have smoke in your apt. I know I used to smoke. All the smoke is comimg up here and my breathing is getting so bad.

If any questions feel free to call or come up.

This person is on the 3rd floor of a 3 story building.

Not a question or a request in that note.

What would ATS smokers do?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Argh, that sucks on a convenience level.

I wonder if he's on oxygen as a result of his smoking.
Perhaps there's a message in that ... an opportunity to quit perhaps.

You said it's a condo so I assume you're not renting so moving is not an easy option.

I smoke over a pack a day so I guess I would have to move.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

[edit on 20 Jul 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Yes, she did mention that she used to smoke. She is not totally disabled, she gets around quite well with one of those porta-packs.

But am I not entitled to the quiet enjoyment of my property? There are no condo rules/regs concerning smoking.

Also, her neighbors on the second floor on either side of her are also smokers.

I want to be a good neighbor, but still...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I think the person in 56 just believes that the smoke is affecting him; I seriously doubt that the amount of smoke is concentrated enough to find a constant and steady airflow from your mouth and travel up 30+ feet and then through his window.

However, the neighboring tenants on the third floor who do smoke might be hitting him, especially if they are smoking inside; eventually it'll go into the hallway. Likewise if people are smoking on the second level, it'll filter upstairs.

And besides, if he's on oxygen... he's breathing that in directly.

I'd say you are fine, and can argue the finer points of physics and air dissipation / smoke disbursement with him.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

You know, thinking about it, chances are that she's getting the smoke from your neighbors above. It's hard to believe that the air is so still that the smoke goes straight up two floors and into her apartment.

I guess you could get one of those smokeless ashtrays, but I'm not sure it will make a difference outdoors.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I presume that you do have the right to smoke on your property, but given the fact that your smoking on your patio causes your neighbor distress, you should find some compromise.

Of course, that compromise might be that when your neighbor smells smoke, she goes inside and closes her doors so that the smoke does not harm her.

The bottom line is that I would look for a reasonable arrangement and I would expect some reciprocity.

[edit on 2009/7/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

You know, thinking about it, chances are that she's getting the smoke from your neighbors above. It's hard to believe that the air is so still that the smoke goes straight up two floors and into her apartment.

I guess you could get one of those smokeless ashtrays, but I'm not sure it will make a difference outdoors.

That's a good point. The back yard has a steady breeze blowing right to left that carries my smoke away.

Update: She threw one of those Glade air fresheners down in front of my patio. Oh dear!

Grady: I'm willing to work a compromise. What would you suggest?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Update: She threw one of those Glade air fresheners down in front of my patio. Oh dear!

That's childish.
Sounds like she's singling you out.

I'd be out there with a box of cigars and a prophane torch but hey, that's just me.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

The bottom line is that I would look for a reasonable arrangement and I would expect some reciprocity.

I agree.

I have smoked on and off for years and have quit several times for a good length of time.

I know when I quit the smell of cigarette smoke can trigger a craving in me. But even in my hyper-sensitive state I don't think I could smell smoke from two stories below me, not even on a day with no breeze.

It could be, as someone else has mentioned, that your neighbor is really smelling the smoke from the two neighbors to the side of him or her. Even then, he or she would have to have a pretty keen sense of smell.

I know some condos and apartments are going completely non-smoking, but I don't see how you can make someone who is already there sell their place and move. That doesn't mean people won't put pressure on smokers to leave, though. Non-smoking is something of a crusade these days.

IMO it's neighborly to try to work out some compromise--like maybe you won't smoke between certain hours while your neighbor will be on their balcony, and your neighbor will then agree to go inside between certain hours so you can smoke in peace.

There are very few places in the world where outdoor smoking is not permitted (getting to be more however), so even that is asking a lot of you.

Me, I like to keep the peace as much as possible. I do not make noise if I can help it and I don't leave litter around, but I don't see what's wrong with smoking outside. I just don't think it's a risk to anyone's health.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I dont care what the others say about this issue. Let them say that you have a right to smoke in your area blah blah blah...

But the thing is the letter you got is from an elderly person and not a young guy who just wants to pick up some trouble. Elderly people are more vulnerable to health issues even if there is a small amount of smoke present. So, my advice for you would be to respect her request and make changes.

I am saying this to you because, one day in the future, you will also be old, and if you are affected by health problems and if someone smokes near you, you will be affected. Just put yourself in that persons shoes and you will realise.

Thats my opinion, whether you follow it or not is your decision.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
There has to be a compirmise in here somewhere. What would i do? I've no idea, smoke inside is one option. (unless smoking is banned inside the complex) If you have regular times where you go out and smoke, maybe an arrangement can be met there. Where she agrees to close the doors/windows while you smoke.

I'd suggest, just for clarity sake, that you go 1 week smoking out the front of the building. Or 1 week of smoking elsewhere, where you know that your smoke is not effecting her, and see if she still complains. if she does, you know it's not you. I know that's putting yourself out a little bit, but it could be worth it, as I say, for the sake of clarity.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The person is just singling you out because you are the only one she sees smoking... everyone else is lighting up inside their apartments.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
That's a bummer of a situation. I don't get how it could possibly be reaching her unit though...

I guess I'd be a smart [expletive] and advise her to place a fan on her balcony that blows in the direction of where she thinks the smoke is coming from, to blow it away from her.

She gave you an air freshener... for outside? I wonder why living in a city where the air is full of pollutants from car exhaust doesn't seem to bother her? I would suggest she find a nice place in the country so she doesn't have to worry about how other people's lifestyle choices affect her.

In reality, I probably wouldn't even respond to her... I hate confrontations. But I smoke inside anyway.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Originally posted by peacejet
I dont care what the others say about this issue. Let them say that you have a right to smoke in your area blah blah blah...

But the thing is the letter you got is from an elderly person and not a young guy who just wants to pick up some trouble. Elderly people are more vulnerable to health issues even if there is a small amount of smoke present. So, my advice for you would be to respect her request and make changes.

I understand your sentiments, and I would not disrespect an elderly person. I would go out of my way to accommodate them.

But this lady is not elderly. She is approx. 40 years old; younger than I am.

Regardless, some sort of compromise needs to be worked out.

I'm going to buy a couple of small cow bells, give one to her and one to me. We can use them as sort of a signaling device when we go to our patio/balcony. Ring the bell, no answer, and you're free to smoke or just sit there. Ring the bell, get an answering ring, and know that the other person is out there. Don't smoke.

Give the other person 30 minutes to enjoy.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

That sounds like a good idea, and at least it would get you talking. Much better to have a discussion than rely on notes or hints.

Could you get a fan to blow the smoke away?

Is this likely to only be a problem for the next couple of months while the weather's warm? She'll probably stay indoors or have her windows closed more often in the autumn and winter, so it would be best to make some sort of compromise for now to keep the peace.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Hi
smoker here (trying to quit)

Quick answer:
I think it's the smell that's disturbing here.
Congrats for wanting to find a solution and not acting selfless.
what if you buy a good fan and throw the smoke inside?

TheTilde

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
I'd suggest, just for clarity sake, that you go 1 week smoking out the front of the building. Or 1 week of smoking elsewhere, where you know that your smoke is not effecting her, and see if she still complains. if she does, you know it's not you. I know that's putting yourself out a little bit, but it could be worth it, as I say, for the sake of clarity.

I like this option mentioned as well. You could also ask them to purchase you a smokeless ashtray. Not sure if they really work but at least it's something else to try.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I live in 56. I am on oxygen and cannot smell smoke as this causes an asthma attack.

It's ok, he's maybe noticed you smoking and telling you he "cannot" smell it...

Ahh, it seems like they've been quite polite, but 3 floors up? How're they coping with the car fumes?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

That's childish.
Sounds like she's singling you out.

I'd be out there with a box of cigars and a prophane torch but hey, that's just me.

I am afraid that this would be the point that all comprimise goes out of the window, sorry but thats just not on thats just the act of a very selfish person. I would write a polite letter stating the facts about the neighbouring smokers, outside winds and the fact you are the one being singled out. It would get on my nerves no end that she threw what is essentially rubbish on to your property, and as they say, now its on. Basically your property you can do whatever you like, enjoy your smokes wherever and whenever you like, its not as if you are breaking any laws.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   

In that case, my opinion is that you should talk to her in person and explain your case. That would go a way lot better than having an cold war going around.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join