It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No God, I am right, and You are wrong.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Jonah hadn’t slept in a few days. He had heard something in his head and he couldn’t stop thinking about it. It was so clear and loud, as if someone had shouted thunderously into his ear canal. The thing about it was, that what he had heard was so off the wall that it had to be wrong. He paused a moment from his busy work of packing his things. “Nineveh!?” he thought quizzically. He laughed within himself. He remembered being there only once and he vowed he would never return. He had been beaten up and robbed there, but it wasn’t just that. Those people were all godless and insane and he hated them all with a passion. Nineveh was a terrible place and he would have no part of them, ever.

He remembered when he had first heard the preposterous thought in his head. He couldn’t sleep that night and the next day he confided to a priest about the mysterious voice and message. “Jonah, they will kill you there. God doesn’t want you to do anything. You need to relax. You obviously need rest, I mean look at yourself. Besides, if God wanted the Ninevites to hear a message, do you think he would need you to bring it to them?” The priest was right. He was being silly, and that is all he needed to hear. I mean this came from a priest after all, who surely must know about these things. He would take a trip to clear his head and get some much needed sleep. Maybe he would find solace if he left Jerusalem. “Nineveh!” he shouted to no one in particular as he slammed his spare tunics into his satchel. He chuckled to himself nervously so as to clear his head and tried to convince himself of how silly he was being. The thought was still there though.

From that place that only he knew existed, deep down, he reasoned. That settles it then. Your priest told me that it wasn’t You, so I’m in the clear. You see? I told You I was right in this matter, Jonah marveled at himself for being so clever and retreated to the forefront of his mind chuckling along the way.

They were nothing but savages and heathens who deserved no second thought, he kept telling himself. He had been there and seen what they did to their own children in the name of their gods. He had seen them commit murders there and they should pay for that. They were lawless and below human really. Even if the message was from the God of Israel Himself, He must have the wrong person in mind for the job. Jonah hated Nineveh and there was no way he was going there, and even if he did go there, how could he persuade those people to listen to him? He was no great speaker that much was for sure, and they would likely kill him in broad daylight. He had heard many horror stories from people who had also been there, and if anyone deserved God’s judgments, it was them.

Deep within himself, Jonah wanted them to die. God was wrong on this matter, he was sure, and Jonah would obey himself. Besides, he couldn’t be sure if what he had heard was really from God anyway, and what if he was just hearing things? They deserved whatever was coming and Jonah would make sure that they received no warning from him. He would head in the opposite direction to show God his resolve. That’s how that was going to work.

He had arrived at Joppa where He found a ship headed for Tarshish. He paid the fair to tag along. It was a merchant ship and was very large. Once aboard the vessel he felt immediate relief. He felt as though a heavy burden he had been carrying was finally let off his shoulders. He breathed a sigh of relief. With sweet silence in his head, Jonah found a place to rest along the ship’s hull and some cargo. There, he laid his head down on his bag and was fast asleep.

Can you see what I’m doing? I’m not listening. I am correct on this matter and you are wrong. Can you hear me? There is no reason to tell them anything. They will not listen. Jonah was dreaming.

Jonah was awoken suddenly. Some crazy guy was yelling something. The ship was being tossed about. Jonah’s head swam as he tried to comprehend everything. The ship must have left and was now at sea. Jonah wasn’t sure how long he had slept but he just knew it wasn’t enough. He was so tired that even these present circumstances should not warrant waking him up. He just wanted to sleep, but the crazy guy was persistent. He was telling Jonah to wake up and pray with everyone else. The ship slammed against a barrage of roaring waves as it tilted over so far that Jonah thought they would capsize. He knew this was serious now, and that got him moving.

The man led Jonah to the main cabin where the mariners were assembled, praying to their gods. Jonah had noticed on the way up that most of the cargo had been thrown overboard. These guys were experienced mariners and for them to be this afraid then there was something terribly wrong. The ship was taking a beating from the storm, but he had no idea that they could all die tonight.

Jonah sat in the corner of the cabin alone with his thoughts as the ship rocked and turned in the violent sea. He drifted into his little secret place. This had nothing to do with that voice. This storm was just something that happened. It could’ve happened anytime. I mean, what could he really do about it now anyway? It just wasn’t his fault, and besides, what if God wanted this ship to sink? How could he stop that? Maybe it was meant to be. Maybe they would make it after all. Who knows? He settled deeper into his little corner and solidified his resolve. From within himself he knew that yes, yes he would rather die then to bring them a message. Oh yes he would show God how wrong He was and he would play this game like a pro. Anyway, who knows how this will turn out? Do what you have to because I’m not listening to You. Do You hear me?

The mariners had stopped praying and started talking amongst themselves now. The storm wasn’t letting up and they knew that it was only a matter of time. For all their praying not one of their gods would help them. They determined that it must be the fault of someone. They would determine who it was by casting lots. One of the mariners produced the stones and began calling everyone to the center of the cabin. Jonah heard him and watched as everyone staggered to the same general location. He grudgingly joined them. He was so tired and his head was throbbing. He wished he could just run away. Deep down he knew what would happen when they casted lots. Oh, he knew all too well. That doesn’t mean Your right about giving them a message and it won’t make me go there. Oh, he would show God how wrong He was. This would change nothing.

It was unanimous. It was Jonah! Jonah sat in sheer terror as everyone gazed at him curiously. They were silent for a moment as the ship creaked in agony against the onslaught of waves ramming into it. The lantern above them swayed and cast eerie shadows all around them. To Jonah, it felt as if he were spinning. It could not get any worse. One old mariner broke the silence by inquiring of Jonah about where he had come from. Jonah couldn’t play the game anymore. Jonah broke down in tears. He explained how he was a Hebrew and that he was running from God. Jonah confessed that he was the reason for the storm and it was because of him that they were all in danger. He told them to throw him into the sea.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
From that part of himself that only he knew, he reasoned with God. Alright, do You see what I’m about to do? This changes nothing. I will certainly not go there because You are wrong in this matter. I’ll show You how wrong. I will win this game. Even if I have to die to prove my point to You. Those people will receive no warning from me. This much is for sure. Anyway, what if I live and make it to shore? That might happen. Do You see what I’m about to do? They deserved to be punished and Jonah would be sure that they would hear no message from him. If it meant he would die, then he would die. It would be God’s fault. So be it.

The mariners tried to get closer to land so they could give Jonah a fighting chance. They didn’t want to just throw a man in the stormy seas. It just seemed that the harder the oarsmen rowed, the harder the storm pushed them back out. They could help this man no more. They had to do something, or they would all die. They cast Jonah into the sea. To everyone’s amazement the storm relented. They wondered at the power of the Hebrew’s God and made vows to Him that day.

Jonah was prepared to die. He plunged into the ocean waves and fought the urge to find the surface. He would die soon. Now look at what You’ve done. I’m going to die and it’s Your fault. I am right and You are wrong. This changes nothing. I am going to die. Do You see what’s going on? It was very dark. He felt himself sinking and kept perfectly still. He knew he would have peace soon. Soon it would all be over. Then suddenly, he was being sucked down into something. He was terrified. Was this hell? He flailed his arms and legs wildly as he was engulfed in something soft and slippery. He could feel the whole thing pushing him backward as he was washed into a putrid oily mess. He could breathe suddenly. He could feel long strands of filfth wrapped around his head. It was all over him. He was pulling at himself violently in the pitch darkness. He was terrified! This was hell. He had died and this was now hell. His skin had a tingling sensation. The smell was horrendous and he was out of breath from fighting the whole ordeal. He stopped and relaxed his breathing. He leaned against something squishy. He listened. He could hear a grunt here and there and a horrible rhythmic swishing sound. He could feel his little portion of hell moving. Jonah’s ears began to pop. He could feel the pressure all around him. Whatever he was leaning against was now firm. It seemed to get darker if that were at all possible. The noises changed too. It was much quieter now. If this wasn’t hell then what was it? Jonah cried uncontrollably at the injustice of it all. This wasn’t how it was supposed to end. God was suppose to tell him that he was right and thank him for showing Him how wrong He was.

As Jonah slipped in and out of consciousness he remembered that God would forgive. God would answer his prayers. Even from here. Jonah reached out to God. He hadn’t prayed for a long time, but this prayer was from his heart. From that place that only he knew about. It was the last thing that Jonah remembered before believing he was dead. Jonah was somewhere else now. His little corner of hell engulfed him as he slipped into the ethereal world of nothingness. He was at rest with his soul and with God. All would be well now he was sure, and besides hadn’t he really won in the end? God understood him now and he had been right all along. God would thank him for being so wise about not warning Nineveh.

Jonah awoke on the shores of some beach. As he regained consciousness, the pain was first thing that hit him. His whole body ached. His skin felt like a restrictive garment that was too small. Was he really alive? He raised his hand to his squinting eyes. His skin was pure white and wrinkled as though he was hundreds of years old. It was horrifying to him. He painfully lifted his emaciated body from the surf, observing how pale and white he was. What had happened to him? He was alive, and this he took as a sign of his victory. He had made it and oh yes, he was right all along.

Suddenly Jonah heard that thunderous voice again. It was clear as a bell. He had no idea of where he was and he could hardly see. His nightmare was not over. If this is the way You want it, then this is the way You get it. He began hobbling toward the dry land.

He retreated to that inner part of himself. I’ll walk till I die then. If I happen to die it’s Your fault. This changes nothing. How will I get there then? I have nothing. It is all gone. Do You see my resolve? Can you see I am wondering aimlessly and it’s Your fault? I’ll die soon enough and it will be because of You. I am still correct on this matter. Do You understand me? Even if I find the place, they will kill me there and that will be Your fault. Do you see me?

He was broken, sick and more exhausted than he had ever been. Still he trudged on into the blaring sun looking like a corpse that just dug itself out of the grave. He walked slowly and steady waiting for death to overtake him. Do You see how silly You are? Can You see how smart I am? I am right you know.

By now Jonah had been walking most of the day. He had no idea where he was walking and he didn’t care. He was going to walk until he died. Oh, he would show God alright. The sun gave his pure white skin a sickening red hue. His eyes, deep in there sockets reflected a blackness that was reserved for hell. His lips had drawn back and his teeth, now a putrid grey, stood prominently out of his overly dry orifice of a mouth. The dried seaweed crinkled with every step of his weary body and he smelled as though he had been dead for centuries. He continued on. He reached the outskirts of Nineveh where he could see the roads leading into the huge city. Smoke billowed from the interior of the city in the distance. He could hear haunting music being played within the place. He dragged himself ever onward.

He spoke with himself deep down once again. I’ll just walk through here and tell them. Then they will kill me. It will be Your fault You know. You did this to me. I hope You are happy. I will give them Your message so they can kill me. Do You see what You’ve done here?

He used all his might as he began to force the words from his searing lungs. “Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.” He was barely able to utter. He kept walking. “Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.” He kept saying the words as he trudged beyond the city limits and deeper into the despised city of Nineveh.

The first people to see the ghoul were horrified. This creature was from the depths of hell itself. Surely it was conjured up from the grave. They feared for their life because they weren’t sure if it was here to take revenge on someone. Its ancient hair was pure white and was pasted to its bony skull. Its eyes looked as though they were on fire. Their darkest fears rising to the surface as they watched in horror this spectacle of the undead! It was saying something. They could hear it. What did it want? They listened intently, trying not to get to close. The corpse smelled awful but they had to know what the message was it was bringing. What was it saying?

Once everyone grasped what it was uttering, the word spread quickly. God had sent a dead man from the sea to warn them of their destruction. Unless they turned to the true God and put away their Idols and heathen practices God would destroy them. Surely then this messenger was from God. Who else could perform such a miracle? They would listen to the warning. It was a terrifying prophecy of death laid out by a dead man!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Jonah was surprised. He was surprised at how the people listened to his message and began running away and telling others. It was working wasn’t it? He was sure of it. The people listened with such urgency to him. He couldn’t believe this. He grabbed food from a cart on the road that had been abandoned by its owner when he saw Jonah. He took a flask of water and turned around. He had been beaten. God had His way it seemed. That didn’t change his mind at all. They wouldn’t listen for long, not these people. He would watch this place for a while. He began slowly trudging back out of the city from where he came. It was getting dark and he wanted to find someplace to hide while he watched Nineveh. He thought within himself once again.

Do You see what You’ve done to me now? I know You are merciful and loving but these people will not listen to You. That is why I didn’t want to go. Everything You have done to me was for nothing. They will not listen. Now please just kill me because this is all of Your fault. I was right all along cant You see that?

This time was different as he talked within himself. He heard himself speak back. Not with the thunderous voice in his ears this time, but quietly deep down. “Is it right for you to be angry?” He heard. He paid no attention to this because, quite frankly, he had enough of this nonsense. He was right and God was wrong in bringing this upon him. Jonah would pay for God’s mistake with his life and he was sure of it. It would be alright though. God would finally see how wise Jonah was about bringing a useless message to these heathens. Oh, he would still win. God would have to find him to be correct in all that he had told Him. Jonah wouldn’t hold it against Him though, Jonah just wanted to teach him a lesson.

He found himself on a hill overlooking Nineveh. There he made a small shelter. He lay down under it and waited to see what would become of Nineveh. As he drifted into blissful sleep he found himself praying that Nineveh would still be destroyed. He wanted to see what his God would do with such filthy people. He knew all along what should be done. He just wanted to make sure that God knew what to do because he was right on this matter and God had been just plain wrong. He slept the sleep of the righteous.

When he woke up, he realized he must have made this shelter in the perfect spot! A beautiful little green tree enveloped his shelter and kept it cool inside. It was perfect. Its leaves seemed to bare some medicinal properties as well. When he placed them on his skin, he felt relief. What a wonderful little plant! This might very well heal him and keep him alive. The leaves were sweet when he tasted one. It couldn’t be more perfect! He shot a measured gaze at Ninevah down the hill. It was still there and it didn’t seem that much was going on in the putrid place. Jonah would wait. He would watch them return to their evil ways soon enough. Then God would have to destroy them all. Just like he had told God. He was right on this matter and God would be wrong. He would just wait and see.

The day turned into night once again and Jonah found himself settling in to sleep. Seething at his predicament he cut off all communication with God. He would just watch that place to show God what He had done to him. “All for nothing” he raged in his mind. It was only a matter of time now. Jonah was fast asleep again.

He awoke to sweltering heat. The sun was blaring through the cracks of his shelter blinding him. He shaded his eyes as he fumbled for his water. Upon looking around he realized that his little tree had withered away to nothing in the blazing sun. This was more than Jonah could take. He wouldn’t be able to stay here without the protection of his little tree. He collapsed to the ground and melted into his inner self. The very place he resigned himself not to visit anymore.

“It is better for me to die than to live.” He pleaded with God. Then that small voice once again. “Is it right for you to be angry about the plant?” He heard. This time he answered that voice. “It is right for me to be angry, even to death!” He shouted back within himself.

“You have had pity on the plant for which you have not labored, nor made it grow, which came up in a night and perished in a night. And should I not pity Nineveh, that great city, in which are more than one hundred and twenty thousand persons who cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand-and much livestock?”

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Well! now we see who is the talented one. I love this story.
I love it. Do you know I didn't "get it" until he was inside the whale?
lol. I must be a little slow. You have a great piece of work here, Jackflap.
The perspective is amazing and the imagery is so darn real.

It's a story about compassion. And stubborness. And faith.
(and what the acids inside a whale's belly can do to one's skin and teeth).

Again, I loved it. Thank you for it. It has a good and pure message and is very well written.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

You are a superb writer.
You brought it to life for me......Wonderfull..thank you.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Thank you once again, ladyinwaiting! I had this one in the back of my mind for a while. I visualized how it must have been for Jonah and what would make him so opposed to going to Nineveh. I don't know how accurate it all is actually but I tried to follow the Biblical time line of things. It is one of my favorite Bible stories and I had to put my thoughts on it down.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jean59

Thank you jean59. This is just my take on a very good Biblical story. It is my opinion and that is all. The real story in the Bible is better. I just did this because it is what I envision when I read that story. I thought I would share it.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I am impressed and moved by your recount of this. I was gripped by the detail and able to see truth in it. You are talented and I hope you do more of these. Biblical or not. S & F for you friend!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Chemley

Thank you so much Chemley. I will do more, who knows if they will be Biblical or not. I am very glad that you enjoyed it and I would encourage you to now read the book of Jonah in the Bible. See if you could put yourself in the shoes of Jonah and imagine what was going on. God will show you things that you will never forget!

[edit on 21-7-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I can see the grandeur in the plan now. If Jonah had just gone to Nineveh and started telling them his little message from God, they would have likely killed him on the spot.

Instead, appealing to their sense of the spiritual, Jonah was presented as a dead man walking. Bringing a message of death to the wicked inhabitants of Nineveh. Something that they could relate to and that they were very afraid of.

The Bible explains that Nineveh did turn from their ways and they were spared.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I am not big on bible stories, but this was great. You are most definitely a good writer jackflap. star and flag

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

Thanks Mr. Toodles. I tried to put myself in Jonah's shoes and took it from there. I wasn't sure how it would turn out and I am glad you checked it out. Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
What if Jonah had just obeyed God and brought the message to the Ninevites in the first place? Would he have been killed? I don't believe so, although the danger would be real. God would have protected his faithful servant. Of course then we wouldn't have heard the awesome story of how God created circumstances to make Jonah understand.

top topics

join